30 Day Shred Hand Weights

Options
Just got my copy of the 30 Day Shred in the mail, but have read on the net that you need hand weights. Which weights would you recommend? I do a bit of lifting at the gym, currently the dumbbell exercises I do are (per dumbbell):

8kg bicep curls
8kg shoulder press
6kg shoulder/arm raise
6kg flyes/flies (sp?)

I'm thinking I should perhaps get 3-4kg dumbbells for the shred

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Anyone...?
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I purchased my 30 Day Shred, it came with 1lb hand weights. I think they use 3-5lb weights on the video. I just went out and got 3lb today. Feels alot better. Hope this helps!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    JM recommends 3 lb (1.5 kg) weights, or 5 lb (3 kg) for those more advanced.

I just re-started 30DS. I've always used 1.5 kg weights. Maybe it's a bit wimpy if you've been doing other strength training, haha. I don't go to a gym to lift weights, but have been trying to think of alternative ways to get strength training in.

If you don't already have 1.5 kg weights, to avoid getting some that you might not actually need, maybe you could try to find something similar in weight to hold, and go through the routine to see what you think? I can't think of anything offhand. Umm, bag of potatoes?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 pounds, and moved up to 5.
  • small_ninja
    Options
    Sweet, thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll go for 3kg ones :smile:
  • andimlovegalore
    andimlovegalore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I actually find 30 day shred really hard with heavier weights so I usually use like 1 or 2kg, but you are stronger than me I think so higher would be okay! I just can't keep it up for so long with heavier weights.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I started with 5 lbs weights and just moved up to 8 lbs. The 5 lbs were metal and the new ones are neoprene and much more comfortable on that last Level 3 strength section
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Depending on the exercise, I'd rotate through 3 lb, 5, lb, and 8 lb weights, and suspect I could have gone heavier on a couple of the moves. However, even on L3, when you do jumping jacks with weights, it's nice to have the lighter ones still on hand. :)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have done 30ds a couple of times. When I first started, I used soup cans which equalled 1 lb because I was just getting into working out. Then, I upped them to 3 lbs and now I use 5 lbs. If you are more advanced, I would suggest 5 lbs weights.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I used 5lb weights myself with no prior lifting and felt it was just right. I would just try what you think you would be comfortable with and go from there. Good luck I loved the 30ds workouts!!
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb; I vary depending on the exercise so I can get the best workout! :)
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    Whichever weight weights you decide to get, be sure that they are comfortable to do a plank on. In stage three a move requires it and my weights don't have enough height and it was not comfortable.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I have done 30 DS, I started with 1 lb, but felt like it was doing nothing...so I bought 5 lb and that seems to feel better. Good luck!
  • small_ninja
    Options
    So I got the 3kg weights and have done 3 rounds of level one so far. Some exercises are still too easy but some are killer. It'd be good to have a range of weights to choose from, but at the moment I'm just trying to push through and stick with the 3kg weights for all the exercises; it just means I have to take breaks from the 30DS workouts and not do them everyday (which is fine coz I have other exercise routines to do :smile: ).

Thanks again for all your suggestions guys!
  • queezle_sister
    queezle_sister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm only to day 2 of the shred. I own 2, 3, and 5 lb weights, and for me, its all I can do to use the 2 and 3 lb weights (depending on the exercise).