HRM All Day?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A related question, I just got a HRM and went for a jog, when I got back my heart rate was 111 bpm so even though the jog was over I was still burning calories. Do you keep counting calories burnt until your back to normal resting heart rate?
    I stop counting immediately after I've finished. Though you're still burning extra calories for a while afterwards, while you're exercising you're also still burning at your BMR so in theory you should take off what you'd be burning during your exercise duration even if you were sitting on the sofa. To avoid hard sums and account for any inaccuracies, it's not a bad idea to "round down".

I also switch mine off when I've finished. My kettlefit and bodypump instructors say that I should burn 600-800 cals for one of those cals but during the class it is only 350-400 max. I asked them about this and they said it is the "after-burn" from doing strength related exercise which is important.
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Precision 7.0 HRM and tried the all day experiment yesterday. My HRM must be different than the FitBit or Nike. It does not specify it in the instructions, but it does not register any calorie burn when resting. You have to enter all of your vitals into it before starting. From the way it behaves, it appears that it calculates your BMR and does not start counting calories until you exceed that. The upside is that I get an accurate count of the 'after-burn' since it stops counting once the heart rate returns to normal.

Which brings up the question I wanted to ask today: Does anybody know if there is a difference in recovery time between cardio and lifting? It seems like when I do cardio my heart rate recovers pretty quickly, but when I lift my heart rate recovers much more slowly.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a Bowflex Precision 7.0 HRM and tried the all day experiment yesterday. My HRM must be different than the FitBit or Nike. It does not specify it in the instructions, but it does not register any calorie burn when resting. You have to enter all of your vitals into it before starting. From the way it behaves, it appears that it calculates your BMR and does not start counting calories until you exceed that. The upside is that I get an accurate count of the 'after-burn' since it stops counting once the heart rate returns to normal.

Which brings up the question I wanted to ask today: Does anybody know if there is a difference in recovery time between cardio and lifting? It seems like when I do cardio my heart rate recovers pretty quickly, but when I lift my heart rate recovers much more slowly.

My Polar FT7 burned calories the whole time, even when resting. I was amazed that my resting heart rate is about 55 bpm - thats good yeah??!

Not sure about the recovery rate between strength and cardio - I haven't really measured that yet.
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the exact same thing. I just ordered the Polar FT60 and should have it in a couple of days!! :)

Thanks for posting!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I would wear it all day if I was doing the Ironman!

Other than that, I know my HRM would show a high number and give me a false sense of security regarding.... ice cream consumption.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The only HRM watch on the market that can accurately read your HR + calories burned under water is the Polar RCX5. That is why I ordered it!
    I could be mistaken, but I think the common wisdom on HRMs is that they are only accurate during elevated cardio activities. But then I think the Bodybug or that Nike Fuelthingy are supposed to do better jobs of monitoring non cardio calories than standard HRMs.
    This is correct, the calorie burn calculations HRMs do are based around your weight and gender and a fairly steady, elevated heart rate, not everyday activities. They are also inaccurate during HIIT, weight training and swimming (as even if waterproof they don't transmit properly through water).

I wondered why I always burn next to no calories swimming when I think I'm working so hard. Thanks!

I don't wear mine when swimming either as the reading is just far too low for it to be correct! MFP and various other calorie calculators say I should burn about 300 cals in 30 mins doing breast-stroke but HRM only says about 100!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I could be mistaken, but I think the common wisdom on HRMs is that they are only accurate during elevated cardio activities. But then I think the Bodybug or that Nike Fuelthingy are supposed to do better jobs of monitoring non cardio calories than standard HRMs.

Davpul is correct

A HRM uses an algorithm to 'guess' calories burnt when doing cardio activities based on elevated heart rate.

Relax in a sauna for 2 hours (Not recommended!) and your heart rate would be elevated to the point where your HRM would indicate a considerable calorie burn - which would be false

Public speaking, excitement, fear etc, will all raise your heart rate - but will not raise your calorie burn