How to get your man to workout?

Options

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Hopefully your enthusiasm will affect your hubby. It works for me. When I'm excited about something, eventually he conforms to "my way of thinking" ....even if it's small changes (like no more candy bars at midnight or taking stairs instead of the elevator).

I never push him.....but if you are happy and excited about something, it shows....and sometimes it will leak on to your partner.

But, just like everyone says, it has to be his decision (just like it was yours). It's better to share your life with your partner.,...not run their lives instead.

Good luck!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    bribe him with... well you know what all men would do anything for...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Have him chase you down for sex.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    bribe him with... well you know what all men would do anything for...

LOL

After 16 years with my hubby....that no longer works lol He KNOWS that I want it too... :-)
  • antiqueembryo
    Options
    My boyfriend started using MFP about 3 months after I did when he saw me working out all the time, counting calories, and looking much better in my swimsuit. I would ask him questions like, "Do you think my marketability has gone up since I lost 8 lbs?" while turning around in my two piece... He seemed to take the hint and has lost 20 lbs in a couple of months.

I have also been reading a lot of books about health and fitness and sharing little pieces of information with him. He's a computer science nerd, so he's into all of the apps. My favorite one is "Fitness for Geeks" which has a lot of great information on training regimens and vitamins. Now he wants to borrow the book when I'm done. I can actually see some tone in his abs now. He looks so much better. Good luck with yours!
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love my husband dearly but feel the same way, I know he would lose interest if I didn't put so much effort into my body. My husband has started working out with me but still has some bad habits he needs to break. I cook most of the meals so he eats healthy because I do. I just try to give him motivation and tell him how awesome hes doing. I'm just leading by example and hoping he gets to the point he feels he needs to make a change, either way I love him!
    This is pretty much what I am doing, and it is slowly working. He has lost about 15 pounds. I think I need to do a little bragging and carrying on to motivate him. I am not as good of a cheerleader as I could be.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm not even gonna read the responses;

Step 1: Lead him to bedroom
    Step 2: Become naked

Exactly what I was thinking!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Work out yourself. When you start getting noticeably in great shape, he's not going to want to be "that guy" that everyone looks at and thinks "wtf is she doing with him" so he will more than likely jump on board and tone himself up.

That's how it worked with my husband at the time (now ex)
  • Happylady123
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I like that!
  • MommaGgame
    Options
    I made him his own account on MFP and logged all of his meals for a couple of days. Then I took all of his measurements and logged them. Then I showed him how many calories over he was per day (upwards of 1000). And then I showed him at the bottom of each food journal entry is estimates how much he'd weigh in 5 weeks if he continued on the same path, and guess what? He's a little more conscious about what he puts in his mouth now!! I'd totally say to give that a try. When all else fails, I tell him that we need to lead by example and show our son that it's a good thing to be healthy!
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if my husband told me that "I work hard to look good and would like you to be my eye candy too" I would get my *kitten* to the gym...

Seriously, I'd want him to look at me rather than all girls working it out in the gym...
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    My bf is a former gym rat. By "former" I mean that he hasn't gone to a gym in over a year, has gained a bunch of weight, lost motivation etc... but he used to be a bit of a bodybuilder. Since I'm showing an interest in my *own* health, he's started looking in the mirror a little harder and has openly said things about not knowing where his motivation went (it may simply be that we both got too comfortable after moving in together last fall). However, he's still making excuses about why he doesn't want to come to the gym with me or buy weights for the house. I've decided not to push, because pushing just means he'll push back harder.

To the guy who said you're not subtle creatures: damn right you're not. I was nudging, hinting, suggesting, and finally decided to stop. Said nothing for a while. Yesterday we went out with my father for a belated Father's Day/birthday dinner where we actually had some healthier food (mediterranean) which he'd never eaten before, and he said something to the effect of "well, maybe eating better won't be so hard..." - which was the most encouraging thing I've heard from him lately. :)

My point is, don't push. Just keep working and maybe he'll start noticing the changes and how easy it might be to join you on your journey. I'm hoping my guy will, but if he doesn't, I'm not going to force it upon him.

Also,
    1) go to the bedroom
    2) get naked.

:laugh:
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    You cant. You just do it for you and eventually he will either start, or he won't. But, if he doesn't, don't be angry. YOUR goals may not be his. That is ok. He is his own person. You love him either way.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love my hubby, and he is my best friend. I wish he cared about his appearance. It would really be nice if he was into working out. I work hard to stay in shape and would like a little eye candy for me, too. Is it wrong for me to feel this way, and how can I get him to care?

I don't/can't. I really try but I can't. He's always too "tired" or feels "sick" or has an excuse. You can't get someone to do something they don't want. :/
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    My wife was not attracted to me fat.
    She told me so.
    And she made it clear that she was not satisfied with our sex life.
    THAT DID IT FOR ME!
    I always exercised and was one of those brute strong men in the weight room all fat and sloppy looking but benching 350.
    I thought I was just fine:smooched:
    I can't say that's you guys, but this was my experience.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    My boyfriend started using MFP about 3 months after I did when he saw me working out all the time, counting calories, and looking much better in my swimsuit. I would ask him questions like, "Do you think my marketability has gone up since I lost 8 lbs?" while turning around in my two piece... He seemed to take the hint and has lost 20 lbs in a couple of months.

I have also been reading a lot of books about health and fitness and sharing little pieces of information with him. He's a computer science nerd, so he's into all of the apps. My favorite one is "Fitness for Geeks" which has a lot of great information on training regimens and vitamins. Now he wants to borrow the book when I'm done. I can actually see some tone in his abs now. He looks so much better. Good luck with yours!
    Yeah, I could see this working on him. Not that I would ever say anything like that to him, but he doesn't let me get to far away from him at the beach! lol
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Bedroom cardio! :laugh:
  • ericapaulfrey
    ericapaulfrey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my husband. Appearances have become an issue, but I'm more concerned about his health than anything else as he is significantly overweight. He keeps thinking that bariatric surgery will be the cure all and in the meantime he can sit on his butt and eat whatever he wants. He loves junk food, fast food and HATES to exercise. However, last night I suggested he accompany my son and I on a walk and he joined in. We walked for about an hour, so I know he got a decent workout in for his size and I rewarded him with oral sex. I asked him if BJs were promised, if he would walk with me 4 times a week and he said "hell yes". I know, it sounds kind of bad, but I bet you can ask any guy and if a BJ is involved, they'll probably do just about anything. Maybe it'll work for you. Sorry if it's TMI.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

:smile: :smile: :smile: Love this!!!
  • Happylady123
    Options
    My wife was not attracted to me fat.
    She told me so.
    And she made it clear that she was not satisfied with our sex life.
    THAT DID IT FOR ME!
    I always exercised and was one of those brute strong men in the weight room all fat and sloppy looking but benching 350.
    I thought I was just fine:smooched:
    I can't say that's you guys, but this was my experience.
    Yeah, that is def. how I feel. Just can't bring myself to say it.