should i first lose the fat .. the lift weights

Options
Hi all , i am new to exercising and need some advice. i have about 10kg to lose. it is three weeks now and i do brisk walking on the treadmill, sometimes i do a jog for a few minutes then back to walking, i also do an hour cardio about three times a week. other 3 days is either yoga and pilates. in this three weeks i have picked up ONE kg. very dissappointed in this gain. need to be more strict with diet. the trainer at the gym suggested light weight lifting twice a week. i just think whats the use now coz of all the flab. maybe it would be better to lose the weight first and then do weights. what do u think ?

Replies

• XmanMike
    XmanMike Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You have to lift weights as well because building muscle helps to reduce fat. So lift weights in tandem with your cardio.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Listen to the trainer. You wont get all bulky in a week lifting weights, but it is EXTREMELY good for you. Increase your strength, bone density, metabolism, and preserve your muscle mass (or even increase it a little) so you get to look better nekkid! :bigsmile:

Unless there is a medical issue stopping you from doing resistance exercise, everyone should be doing it. EVERYONE!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Agree on the weight lifting.

However, if you want to lose weight, you need to have a very tight diet: healthy foods in reasonable amounts, etc. Your diary is closed so can't comment. But to generalize a bit, it's 80% diet, 20% exercise. I'm sure your trainer can help there.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a question...what is the best way to begin lifting weights...is there a good dvd for beginners that anyone can recommend..

Thanks...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have a question...what is the best way to begin lifting weights...is there a good dvd for beginners that anyone can recommend..

Thanks...
    I do suggest a book... starting strength. There are tons of videos on youtube.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Thanks...
    I do suggest a book... starting strength. There are tons of videos on youtube.

Thank you, so the book is called Starting Strength? Ill check it out.
  • SIMBA7860
    SIMBA7860 Posts: 25
    Options
    hey thanks to all for the input. i really appreciate it. :smile: i didnt know my food diary was closed - i wil try to fix that. Though i havent been recording properly. i plan my menu for the day, record it - but then dinner is never as i planned coz i eat all the wrong things and just no time at home to get onto the computer. I am a 41 year old female - and new to exercising so i was a bit concerned that i would look like the guys with huge bulging muscles if i lift weights...lol. I spoke to my doctor also and she said it is excellent for woman as it strengthen the bones and prevents osteoporosis (spelling). so i wil continue twice a week lifting weights. i did so light weights on sunday - 4kg on arms and legs. the trainer at the gym asked me to do three sets of 15 and i couldnt even finish the first set of 15 - i started battling by the 12th. now if only i could eat clean and i must update my food diary correctly