Nutrition for Lack of Appetite Due to Cancer?

Options
GloynByw
GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
Hi all,

My dad has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in the last couple of days, and he hasn't started his treatment yet. The tumour is growing into his stomach and he now cannot eat at all. Obviously the illness is weakening him but the fact that he is unable to eat is making him a hundred times worse.

My question is - what foods/products can I find him that will give him the most nutrition but within the smallest amount of food? I was thinking peanut butter or certain protein shakes/bars etc. But does anyone else have any better ideas?

He's in serious decline, and even though I can't get rid of his cancer, maybe I could help him with his food intake at least.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your dad. Get him some Ensure. Its full of vitamins and doesn't taste bad.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad's struggles. I used to work in a large cancer treatment facility and got to see the up and downs of treatment first hand. I think the Ensure is a good idea, but I would recommend you check with his doctor to see if he can see a nutritionist that specializes in cancer patients. As I said, I used to work in a cancer treatment facility and our patients were always scheduled to talk to the on-staff nutritionist as part of their treatment plan. Cancer certainly effects diet, but so does treatment. Most of the treatments out there can be really hard on the body and patents really need to talk to someone that knows what's going on with that.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad's struggles. I used to work in a large cancer treatment facility and got to see the up and downs of treatment first hand. I think the Ensure is a good idea, but I would recommend you check with his doctor to see if he can see a nutritionist that specializes in cancer patients. As I said, I used to work in a cancer treatment facility and our patients were always scheduled to talk to the on-staff nutritionist as part of their treatment plan. Cancer certainly effects diet, but so does treatment. Most of the treatments out there can be really hard on the body and patents really need to talk to someone that knows what's going on with that.

Agreed...the cancer center should have a nutrtionist that you can speak with. My FIL has been battling colon/liver cancer for 2 years now. In the begginnng he didn't/couldn't want to eat because of the cancer and lost a lot of weight. He loves milks shakes, so we would make him one and add in protein powder. He would take small sips thru the day of it. Ensure or even slimfast/atkins shakes are good too. Again see if he can handle just sipping at it. Also, try small bites of peanut butter on crackers, or cheese/crackers...again small bites of food thru the day instead of meals.

Don't stress too much about his food. Once he starts treatment, he will start feeling better and will get his apppetite back. My FIL goes every other week for treatment and is doing really well. He gained back all his weight and then some and his appetite is back to normal. It took a few months for him to feel better.

Good luck on this journey...friend me, I have been dealing with this for 2 years now, I take my FIL to all his drs appointments and treatments...
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this - my dad had terminal cancer and passed away in 2009 and I know how hard the eating and nutrition side of things can be on the patient and whole family. It's very stressful and you have my complete empathy.

Things we had were: complan meal replacements, Fortisip, Fortijuice, Forticreme products... you should be able to get these prescribed, or the equivalent. They're very expensive to buy outright, but they do have the nutrients of a meal in there so worth their weight in gold.

Home foods wise we concentrated on simple things. Scrambled eggs made with whole milk, rice pudding with whole milk or cream, semolina, very soft pasta like macaroni cheese again with whole fat products in there. I think it's important to try to get some enthusiasm in food - it doesn't matter how little he has, just as long as it's something he wants. We also made portion sizes a lot smaller so as not to over face my dad - he'd be more inclined to eat more of a small portion than a big one... a big one just seem insurmountable to him.

My heart goes out to you at this difficult time, feel free to add me as a friend.

Heather :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    My dad lost his appetite when he started treatment because everything tasted different. He just ate smaller amounts of things spread out through the day. When his cancer came back, he kinda gave up. All he would eat was canned peaches and cranberry juice until he finally was too weak for my stepmom to care for him at home. I wish I could help more, but my dad was stubborn and didn't care what the nutritionists said if he didn't feel good. I guess it depends on him. Good luck, I know how frustrating and heart breaking this can be.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My Dad had pancreatic cancer as well and I am very sorry to hear about your father. Pancreatic cancer is a rough one to deal with. I made different things to help tempt my Dad. I do agree that Ensure or Boost are both good.

What is the doctor's prognosis? They told my father there was nothing they could do for him. Near the end for him, we gave him anything he wanted. He was in a hospice and they even gave him a strawberry milkshake for dinner because that is what he wanted. At that point, it isn't about nutrition, it is about making your father as happy as possible.
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the wonderful suggestions, great advice and support. You are all fabulous. xxx
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    What great posts in this thread. My father was recently diagnosed as well, with advanced lung cancer (he has never smoked). OP, I have no advice for you but you have all my empathy. Hugs all around to you lovely, strong ladies.