I am at an all time high

Options
Hey guys, this place is pretty organized. I wonder if keeping track of their cal + exercise has helped anyone so far?

Ever since college I have been gaining roughly 10-15 pounds per year. In total I think I've gained about 25 pounds in these two years! I need to stop eating Nutella with a spoon to say the least.

Replies

• Pilcrow_
    Pilcrow_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There are so so many reasons that MFP helps people, from accountability, to giving perspective on what you eat and burn, and just helping change attitudes or giving support. I think everybody here has a different take on why it works but I think ultimately that if you're making the decision to start using it then you're making a positive decision and starting with a good mindframe. I guess the more you use it the more you'll realise how to tailor it specifically for you. Personally I'm finding it great for keeping me in the the right mindset to stay on track plus the people here are incredibly supportive which always helps! You can totally do this, I promise!
  • SadAwakeDna
    SadAwakeDna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks! You're really encouraging. I think by doing the calorie counter I already realize how a few unhealthy snacks can stack up.

Instead of buying chips snacks, I went to the market and bought some dried fruit that I like and tofu instead.
  • lalalydi
    lalalydi Posts: 8
    Options
    good luck with that tofu lol
  • larryandmarie
    Options
    What this does (if you are honest and log in EVERY piece of food ( including a well measured acct of how much is actually in that spoon, could be 1 or 2 tablespoons!) you will soon realize what you are putting into your steam engine daily! Most people don't. I didn't realize how much I consumed calorie wise. But, you do not count calories, they do. Just input your food and brand ( ex: scone, panera) and they find and calculate for you!)
    Buy a food scale, measuring cups and spoons, and read the back of containers to see what "a serving" is. I never realized for example, that my store bought muffin was considered 3 SERVINGS! 1 serving was 180 calories, so that muffin was 540 calories, or over 1/3 of my calories for the day!
    It was an eye opener for me. If you are brutally honest with yourself on this site, once you see 2000, 3000, 5000 calories going in on a regular basis by eating poorly, you will understand how we gain weight. You need to eat 3500 calories a week less to lose 1 pound ( 500 calories less a day) 500 calories a day less for each pound a week you want to lose. Try to exercise as well and lose 1-2 pounds a week and your skin will keep up with you for the most part. Drink those 8-10 glasses of water a day(4 16oz bottled water, just refill 4 times) I never did, and it makes a huge difference. I am losing and learning slowly at 1-2 pound a week.
    I started in April with this and Zumba classes 3-5 times a week for 1 hour. At first I could not even keep up. They went left, I went right. My knees have arthritis and I have varicose veins and leg swelling, but I said _uck it! I've got to do something once and for all. I've lost 13 so far with no set backs. Remember honey, slow and steady wins the race. Do it for health, then looks. With this program, YOU choose what you eat. So even though your choices are bad now, trust me when I tell you, you will smarten up like I did and realize how much you can eat with the RIGHT choices. I now have braekfast daily ( eggs or cereal) a healthy snack around 9:30-10:00.( maybe oatmeal, hard cooked egg, yogurt,nuts) lunch ( could be turkey on 45 cal wheat bread with mayo, cheese tomato, lettuce or alfalfa sprouts, and a fruit, a snack 2:30-3. Then supper is sometimes 4-6 oz fish, veggies, lots! and then a snack before bed ( maybe 1/2 cup ice cream or popcorn but usually LOADS of watermelon. See, I do not starve, and I do change it up each day.( I am 54 and started at 232 at 5'1") good luck! ( My first goal is 200, then 190,180, etc till I am pleased) The exercise makes you lose inches before weight. I lost over 4 inches in one area over the last 2 weeks after incorporating Zumba and Turbokick classes 3-5,6 times a week. Still cannot jump or squat ( I modify) but less swelling, less knee pain, and more flexible daily, and 1 pair of pant kept falling down during class! Those are now OUT!
  • larryandmarie
    Options
    I was revisiting this post. I am now at 210.5. My original high weight was 240.30 lbs GONE.
    I am heading for 200. Ist real goal. YEA!!!