WHAT THE HELL!

Options
I'm confused.

Last Monday I weighed 137.8
Friday I was down to 136.8
Monday I am 138 so I have put on half a pound.

I did get quite a few different readings this morning though. First if was 138 (so I jumped back off like a scalded cat lol). Stepped back on tentatively and got 137.8 then tried stepping on differently (sad I know) and got 137 (which I liked much better). Got 137 a few times and then decided it might be cheating just to pick the one I liked best lol. Let the scales switch off again and stood back on them and got 138 (re-did my little dance and managed to get it down again). So none the wiser about which is the right one, but probably the one I like least I should imagine :angry:

My calories per day are 1200 (which means I should lose 2lb a week, which never happens, lucky if I lose 0.7lb). I was ok with the half lb a week lose as at least it was coming off and I am very close to goal (just never seem to get there).

I did go over my calories on Friday and Saturday by quite a bit but when I averaged it over the whole week my average calorie intake would be 1332 per day and on those kind of calories should I not still be losing weight?

This worries me because I don't think I could sustain just slightly over 1200 for the rest of my life just so I don't put on weight again. Other people on here seem to be able to eat a lot more calories and still lose weight. Don't get what I'm doing wrong.

I see so many posts saying eat more, but I have just eat under 1000 cals more in a week and put on!

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1 pint of water = 1 lb of weight.

dont stress yourself over such small increases / losses, it could literally be anything.
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm confused.

Last Monday I weighed 137.8
    Friday I was down to 136.8
    Monday I am 138 so I have put on half a pound.

I did get quite a few different readings this morning though. First if was 138 (so I jumped back off like a scalded cat lol). Stepped back on tentatively and got 137.8 then tried stepping on differently (sad I know) and got 137 (which I liked much better). Got 137 a few times and then decided it might be cheating just to pick the one I liked best lol. Let the scales switch off again and stood back on them and got 138 (re-did my little dance and managed to get it down again). So none the wiser about which is the right one, but probably the one I like least I should imagine :angry:

My calories per day are 1200 (which means I should lose 2lb a week, which never happens, lucky if I lose 0.7lb). I was ok with the half lb a week lose as at least it was coming off and I am very close to goal (just never seem to get there).

I did go over my calories on Friday and Saturday by quite a bit but when I averaged it over the whole week my average calorie intake would be 1332 per day and on those kind of calories should I not still be losing weight?

This worries me because I don't think I could sustain just slightly over 1200 for the rest of my life just so I don't put on weight again. Other people on here seem to be able to eat a lot more calories and still lose weight. Don't get what I'm doing wrong.

I see so many posts saying eat more, but I have just eat under 1000 cals more in a week and put on!

1) As a Woman, keep in mind where you are in your cycle.
    2) Weight can fluctuate as much as 7 pounds a day.
    3) Take measurements, do not just watch the scale. Are you losing inches?
    4) Eat more than 1200, you should look up fat2fit radio. Rather than eating back exercise calories, eat your TDEE (as calculated by F2F)...
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options

dont stress yourself over such small increases / losses, it could literally be anything.

^this^ :happy:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    You know that there are fluctuations in the scale especially after you ate a high sodium meal. Don't be too concerned on the scale & also its not advisable to weigh yourself everyday. Instead do it every week first thing in the morning because that's where we are usually at a normal reading (note the word USUALLY meaning not always).

Take measurements instead.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What the people above said: the scale is a nasty troll, especially when you're a woman. Don't take this too seriously. We're not machines, things like this happen but don't need to mean anything.

if you gain weight continously and don't lose any inches - that's the point to start worrying.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options

This, also, being female depending on the time of month we can have fluctuations. I weigh monthly, a week after TOM for better accuracy.

Weigh again after a poo ;)

Edit to add, measuring is better :D
  • schneidersas
    Options
    Acknowledging the others here ... body weight has a fluctuation over the day and the week too .... don't stress yourself for 4 or 5 lbs ...
    I fluctuate up to 4 lbs every Monday/Tuesday regardless of sport or over/under calories @ the weekend

Simply keep going on, you will see the real effect in a couple of weeks :)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you get different weights on the scales within a few minutes and you’ve done nothing to warrant the change, then your scales are at fault, not faulty. It sounds like they are within their accuracy parameter.
    If you think they are on average 1% out every time you weigh, then a pound here and a pound there is still within that 1% range.
    Your weight 136.8 (+1 percent) = 138.1
    Your weight 136.8 (- 1pecent) = 134.6
    Anywhere in between is still an accurate representation of your real weight.
    Add to that water weight and natural fluctuation of weight day to day. And you can see how difficult it is to track your weight over short periods of time. Tracking your weight by month or by how your clothes fit would be a more accurate if less quantifiable method.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You're all right. I know it' silly to stress over such small amounts, but I just feel like I am never going to get there. So close but so far away :grumble:

And also the worry about how many calories to have to maintain (if I ever do get there). I'm sure I'll get there in the end, just need to stay positive lol.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you absolutely must weigh yourself every day, track your weights for seven days. On the 7th day, add them up and divide by 7 and write this number down. Do it again every 7 days....it will fall on the same day each week. Compare those written numbers to each other for a much clearer picture as to what your weight is doing. Also, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after peeing for consistency.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    And also the worry about how many calories to have to maintain (if I ever do get there). I'm sure I'll get there in the end, just need to stay positive lol.

If you are really worried about this, fat2fit suggests finding out what maintenance calories would be at your goal weight, and eating that from now until you reach goal.

the only trouble with this is that should theoretically be slow, which is fine if you're happy with it taking a while.

i really like to exercise, so i eat somewhere around 1700 cals, and exercise about 400cals, so that my net is 1300. it's theoretically the same as eating 1300 and not exercising, which kills me.
  • Poods71
    Options
    Don't have a problem with taking it slow as I am nearly there now anyway and don't feel too bad just now (I will never feel amazing or wear a bikini cos of mummy tummy :sad:) but I'm not planning on becoming a supermodel anytime soon :laugh:, so feeling good in my clothes will do for me. I really just want to get to goal because I am so close to overweight in the BMI (just have to put on about 3lbs and I'm there) whereas if I get to goal and put on a few pounds I will still have a healthy BMI.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Only weigh once a week. You ate more food yesterday so it's still in your system and you're weighing that. If you save calories for the weekends so you have a good average over the week, only weigh Friday mornings :flowerforyou:
  • Poods71
    Options
    Was thinking I might change me weigh-in day to Friday as it always looks better then lol. I weigh myself everyday but only log it once a week.
  • swingkid1975
    swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat More to Weigh Less group.