oh no! major setback!

Options
*please don't say go to the doctor as I am aware of this as is my neuro and have been down this road before. I just have to vent.

Last nite I did 1/2 my workout as Sundays are my easy days. (My cheat/reward days if you will). I thought maybe I pulled something in my back so I stopped immediately and iced it.

This morning I know I did. :( I'm so sore. I can hardly move. The problem with me is....its not like anyone who just pulled something or twisted something. My legs go numb my feet go numb pains shoot up an down my spine...its not pretty.(right now my throat and mouth are numb)
So now I have to be super careful and take literal baby steps. I am not a patient person!

And no there really isn't anything that can be done. Surgery. But would YOU let someone cut into your spinal cord? Not me.
No wonder I have such a hard time with weight loss. I'm such a klutz!

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that's a tough situation.

I have back problems, and honestly, if there was any surgery that might help or prevent the future pain I know is coming, then I might risk it. I don't think it would involve my spinal cord though...

The last time I really hurt my back, it was a year before I felt normal again. If I had known at the time it would take so long to heal, I would have done a lot more with my doctor instead of just waiting for it to heal on its own (which it didn't).

So the real question is this - are your symptoms and setbacks worse than the risk of surgery? Or can you live with things the way they are?
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Surgery for me is risking paralysis. Chest down. So yeah....as of now that option is not anywhere on my table.
    Its not like a disc or simple fix. This is actually INSIDE my spinal cord. When I aggravate it (or it inflames or whatever it does in there) my whole body pays for it.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I hope you begin to feel better soon! I too just suffered a pretty major setback. Had surgery on both my legs just over a week ago. Luckily I heal quickly and listen to my ortho, because I'm wheelchair free!! Unfortunately, no running for 4+ weeks....I guess the moral of the story is, that slow 'n' steady wins the race...and that sometimes when you have a medical problem, you have to adapt your workouts to your situation!

Best of luck!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I hope you begin to feel better soon! I too just suffered a pretty major setback. Had surgery on both my legs just over a week ago. Luckily I heal quickly and listen to my ortho, because I'm wheelchair free!! Unfortunately, no running for 4+ weeks....I guess the moral of the story is, that slow 'n' steady wins the race...and that sometimes when you have a medical problem, you have to adapt your workouts to your situation!

Best of luck!

They did surgery on both legs at once? Oh I feel for you! I had my ACL reconstruction may 10th and still can't run or jump or do anything other than light...very light aerobic and walk..some bike. But I do push myself. I tossed crutches at 9 days and brace at 12. Therapist swore I'd be at least using crutches 2 months and brace @12 weeks. Because his "athletes had to use them that long and there was no way I could get rid of them sooner than an athlete " ha! Stubborn determination!

So what did you have done on both at once?
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Yeah...they did. I had developed anterior compartment syndrome in my lower legs (basically pressure increases and cannot regulate itself, so my legs begin to burn and feet eventually go numb when I run). I've never really been a runner, played rugby in college, so I only had to run a little before being knocked on my butt! Anyway, since I've got awesomely big leg muscles, starting running caused the compartment syndrome to worsen - couldn't even run a mile without numb feet.

So, long story short, I told the ortho I'd rather do them both at once and be in a wheelchair for a week or so, then do it twice and be on crutches for way too long (and any time on crutches is too long in my opinion).

Thankfully, I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer at a small university, so not only do I have the knowledge to put myself through rehab and safe workouts...I also have all the equipment!

Needless to say, I'll have some (un)sexy scars, but like you, I'm stubborn, so I keep pushing =)
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Surgery for me is risking paralysis. Chest down. So yeah....as of now that option is not anywhere on my table.
    Its not like a disc or simple fix. This is actually INSIDE my spinal cord. When I aggravate it (or it inflames or whatever it does in there) my whole body pays for it.

Oh man, that sucks. Maybe you can just try to find activities that won't aggravate your spine? I'm sure obviously you've been looking already. Tai chi was excellent for me when I hurt my back - very slow and gentle but still exercise. I also got pain relief with acupuncture, but I don't know if that would help you.