Atkins Diet

Options
Today i am beginning the Atkins diet, I have had great success on it in the past. Is anyone else using this plan?

Replies

• VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it's the only plan that has helped me lose weight. In fact I lost 85 pounds on it. However, I slowly became lax in my diet and exercise routine last fall, and of course started gaining weight back over the winter. Now, I'm back on Atkins and the weight is starting to drop off again.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I lost weight in the past on it. But I don't call it a success because it didn't stay off.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    Me!

But I have to remain vigilant, and not lax... I've dug myself into a routine, that isn't healthy.. so I am undoing what I have done. Atkins is the only way I lose the weight, and I actually do ENJOY the Atkins lifestyle... and I know how to work the program... lost 100+ lbs previously...through life's ups and down, I have a significant gain.........

So its back to Atkins.... Good luck!
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    I would highly highly advise against the atkins diet. I did it for almost a year and lost 52 lbs. However, when I was done, my blood pressure, cholesterol and vitamin d were all at very bad levels. I also found out (thanks co-workers) that I had occasional bad breath. It's near impossible to keep the weight off. You cannot go your whole life without carbs, and as soon as you re-introduce them, its like a slide, you just go right down and eat all that weight back.

It really is an awful diet, nice quick fix, yeah meat and cheese is fun to eat, but health wise, and long term, bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    I would highly highly advise against the atkins diet. I did it for almost a year and lost 52 lbs. However, when I was done, my blood pressure, cholesterol and vitamin d were all at very bad levels. I also found out (thanks co-workers) that I had occasional bad breath. It's near impossible to keep the weight off. You cannot go your whole life without carbs, and as soon as you re-introduce them, its like a slide, you just go right down and eat all that weight back.

It really is an awful diet, nice quick fix, yeah meat and cheese is fun to eat, but health wise, and long term, bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Thats your opinion :)

My Bloodwork is perfect =)

And my breath is just fine, :tongue:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You cannot go your whole life without carbs
    Why not ? not that Atkins is zero carb anyway, but no carbohydrate is essential (unlike protein and some fats).
  • adamsurpren
    Options
    You *can* go your whole life without/low amount of carbs but it would be extremely difficult. And carbs are not bad for you. Atkins is just an old outdated 90's fad and is dying quick. On atkins it's impossible not to get bad breath. Ketosis is a state that everybodys body goes into works when low on carbs and that causes bad breath. In your case, nobody has told you yet.

There are so many other diets out there that are healthier and easier to manage. I mean, just counting calories here works.

Look, I don't hate atkins, I lost 52 lbs on it! I was in love. But maintaining is harder than losing. Anyone can lose weight, but not everyone can maintain it. It also has some serious health risks. I just think you can do better.

Either way, good luck to anyway who sticks with it.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Im on it!! please add me and we can support one another! anyone else doing it add me as well!! :-)
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'd check out the Low carb group..... Everyone has their own opinions about this diet. It works for some, and not for others. I've been doing low carb for less then 2 months and am very happy with it.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If it was a success why do you need to do it again?
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was advised by a very good nutritionistpersonall trainer and also a general practitioner, that the atkins diet is a huge NO!

Like anything, you will have success stories, but research it on the web, the bad experiences hugely outweigh the good.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    To get myself out of the obesity zone, I am using a hybrid version of this and South beach. Right now I'm doing atkins induction, but depending on what my needs are and how I feel I kinda switch back and forth sometimes. I also find that some off limits foods don't affect me bad, like carrots. I can eat carrots and still lose well (not allowed on phase 1).

Its a good way to get started and I think for a lot of people, simply watching carbs with their calories is a good idea. If you are like me you might not be picking up great carbs like beans and sprouted bread, and tend to eat pastries or pizza (less nutritious carbs). That is why I am doing low carb... to train myself to not stuff myself with the wrong stuff.

Good luck! & Add me if you like!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

This.

The fact is that very few people who lose weight on the atkins diet manage to keep it off. And you will see this same yo-yo pattern with any diet that is only short-term. The only lifelong success you will find is with adjusting your overall eating habits in a way that you can keep to for the rest of your life. It may not come as quickly, but it's safer, it's healthier, and the results stay.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, but did not Robert Atkins die fat a few years after suffering a heart attack?
    Is this the one we want as fitness guru?
    Be careful taking advice from those who were unable to manifest the fruit of their philosophy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    To get myself out of the obesity zone, I am using a hybrid version of this and South beach. Right now I'm doing atkins induction, but depending on what my needs are and how I feel I kinda switch back and forth sometimes. I also find that some off limits foods don't affect me bad, like carrots. I can eat carrots and still lose well (not allowed on phase 1).

Its a good way to get started and I think for a lot of people, simply watching carbs with their calories is a good idea. If you are like me you might not be picking up great carbs like beans and sprouted bread, and tend to eat pastries or pizza (less nutritious carbs). That is why I am doing low carb... to train myself to not stuff myself with the wrong stuff.

Good luck! & Add me if you like!

In my experience you can eat what you want as long as you cook it yourself in your own kitchen at home from fresh, healthy ingredients. That's basically what I did. Was 335 lbs. Lost 121 lbs. The first 60 lbs lost was done through diet alone, and I didn't change my eating habits that much. I just stopped buying boxed/frozen foods or eating fast food and started spending more time in my kitchen at home. The only stuff I cut out of my diet entirely was stuff that was too much of a pain in the butt to prepare myself. But I kept eating my pasta (using whole grain pasta), kept eating my burgers (93% lean beef is your friend as is whole grain buns), and there you go. No fad diet needed. Eat what you want, just cook it yourself.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

This.

The fact is that very few people who lose weight on the atkins diet manage to keep it off. And you will see this same yo-yo pattern with any diet that is only short-term. The only lifelong success you will find is with adjusting your overall eating habits in a way that you can keep to for the rest of your life. It may not come as quickly, but it's safer, it's healthier, and the results stay.

The fact is that anyone who loses wight is at risk for regaining it. It doesn't matter what diet you are on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=1

It is not the diet that helps you lose weight and keep it off, it is the lifestyle.

I would add that using Atkins and eating high quality foods is different then devouring lots of foods with saturated fats. What you eat is as important as portions, calories and how you eat. Even you age can make a huge difference in how our bodies handle fats and carbs.

I suggest learning about nutrition. Then you can use Atkins or any other diet and make wise choices.

All that is to say, I use a pretty high protein diet and that works for me, for my blood work, and for my lifestyle. I don't do the diet bars, shakes, and that because I want to live this way for the rest of my life. I do take a Vitamin D supplement because I can't get enough of it within my calorie range. I also work inside and don't see the sun very often. Everything else looks great, and I am able to run 15+ miles a week. I have lost over 60 and pretty much kept it off for over a year. My insulin looks good, and my blood pressure is back to where it was when I was 20.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, but did not Robert Atkins die fat a few years after suffering a heart attack?
    Be careful taking advice from those who were unable to manifest the fruit of their philosophy.

actually he slipped on icy pavement and suffered head trama! research before you assume.
  • adamsurpren
    Options

actually he slipped on icy pavement and suffered head trama! research before you assume.

Doesn't mean he didn't die fat. He never said the heart attack killed him. Read before you correct. Zing :-p
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

He suffered a heart attack BEFORE this and died fat. Research before YOU respond.:laugh:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

He was overweight, and not far from obese when he slipped on the ice. He was about 6 feet tall and weighed about 200 lbs when he went into the hospital. That puts his BMI at the high end of overweight.