Muscle weight???

Options

Replies

• ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    I beleive what everyone is seeing in the OP diary is trully all she is eating. she complains about eating more than like 400 or 500 calories a day cause she beleives she is gainning 5 lbs. a day if she does. I beleive that this woman needs serious physicalogical help and is already in anerixa and her body is starving to deaf. I am not a professional at all but based on her post and responses I beleive my statement to be true. Women are said by sites and doctors not to ever go below 1200 calories. When I started trully working on loosing weight back on 6-4-2012 I was only eating 1500 calories on average and excercising like mad. Found out after 3 weeks that because I was not eating enough to feed my basic body needs specially on the days I was working out that I was starving my body and I was hardly loosing. now I eat back a lot of my exercise calories and now I am shedding off the FAT and loosing the weight at a good healthy rate. My advice is to seek help and start eating more and be patent
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You should be making an appointment to see a shrink right now...that's your first and only problem at this point. :noway:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you're starving yourself due to an eating disorder, then of course your body is going to be flipping out. Go see a shrink, start eating the proper amount for your body weight. Yes, you will probably put on a few pounds while your metabolism recovers from the beating you've been giving it, but once things settle down, you can start to lose weight safely again.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    OP you really need to log everything you eat and drink, to be really sure that you are on a deficit.

Log absolutely everything, ensure you are at a deficit and if nothing shifts after two weeks, you need to recap.
    Yeah, I also noticed a lot of blanks in your food diary.

I don't eat. If I take in less than 500 calories and work out a lot, I loose weight. If I eat normally, I gain. If I eart normally, I will gain 5 pounds a day and be 200 pounds by the end of the month. I won't do it. It's driving me crazy and the first thought I have every morning is "I shoud have thrown up last night". No one hears me saying this is driving me crazy. I'm so afraid of getting fat again that I will and can and have given serious thought to becoming anorexic...hence I'm begging for help. I'm sick of the morning torture of trying on things that fit 3 days ago and feeling how tight they've gotten so quickly.

You're eating less than 500 calories a day and you're thinking about becoming anorexic? I've got news for you - you're already there. See some doctors about your physical and mental condition before you end up dead.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor, my friend.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I don't eat. If I take in less than 500 calories and work out a lot, I loose weight. If I eat normally, I gain. If I eart normally, I will gain 5 pounds a day and be 200 pounds by the end of the month. I won't do it.

Your eating at 500 calories has basically shut your metabolism down. When you start eating normally, your metabolism takes a little time to catch up, but if you are gaining 5 pounds a day most likely most of that is water weight gain and detritus (poop) that will all work its way through. A pound is 3,500 calories, and unless you are eating 17,500 calories a day, it is literally and mathematically impossible for you to put 5 pounds of fat on per day.

You need to do it. All issues of weight aside, you need to eat normally. You're going to end up hurting yourself.
    It's driving me crazy and the first thought I have every morning is "I shoud have thrown up last night". No one hears me saying this is driving me crazy. I'm so afraid of getting fat again that I will and can and have given serious thought to becoming anorexic...hence I'm begging for help. I'm sick of the morning torture of trying on things that fit 3 days ago and feeling how tight they've gotten so quickly.

Please, continue begging for help. But go to the right source.

Please, please, please - get some professional help for this.

http://www.anad.org/

Please. Now.
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Ignore everything on here about muscles etc. That is not your problem, You have an eating disorder and need to see a doctor straight away. You are killing yourself treating your body so badly.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ignore everything on here about muscles etc. That is not your problem, You have an eating disorder and need to see a doctor straight away.

This.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ignore everything on here about muscles etc. That is not your problem, You have an eating disorder and need to see a doctor straight away.

This.

This - I missed the important issue here whilst having a petty argument about muscle growth.

Your doctor will be only too happy to help, please go and make an appointment
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't build muscle, it builds endurance.

In fact, Cardio will usually burn muscle along with the fat

Rubbish

Easy just to say rubbish without backing up your claim

Here's why cadio can often burn muscle...

Your body transfers into a state of mass catabolism just to maintain energy output levels. It has burnt through the energy assigned for standard exercise and now needs an external outlet to keep the ball rolling. The body begins to feed off its own muscle cells as a key source of energy.

Your body wants to burn fat. It doesn't start burning muscle until you are very very low on fat reserves. The "energy assigned to standard exercise" is glycogen, you burn through that in about half an hour, then you start on fat. Unless you are running 4 hours a day, and not eating enough, you aren't going to start burning muscle. I have grown a huge amount of leg muscle by running in the past 2 years. I run about 20 miles a week, off road. I don't do any other leg exercise, so it is definitely from the running. Sure, olympic marathon runners don't have much muscle, but they do it on purpose to be as light as possible. Normal runners have pretty muscly legs.

Sorry but that's completely not true. To build bigger and bigger muscles you must continue to increase the resistance - i.e add heavier weights. If you could build muscle purely by running then 20 year old olympic marathon runner Haile Gebrselassie with strong muscley legs would now as a 40 year old marathon runner after decades of running have legs the size of tree trunks! He hasn't - they are the same! Show me any top olympic marathon runners with huge legs, they won't have, they'll have slim defined legs with no fat coverage, showing off their relatively small leg muscles

You simply can not build muscle on a calorie deficit, or without ever increasing resistance. Your cardio is most probably reducing your total fat percentage allowing you to see your nice defined leg muscles underneath

And how do you think I got those "nice defined leg muscles"? By running. And yes, they have got bigger since I started. Of course you don't keep on building muscle forever, but no one does. I have built and am maintaining the legs I want by running. I don't want to build more muscle from this point, they are good the way they are.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have been busting my butt for 90 days straight plus. I heard the extra 10 pounds is muscle weight. Oddly, the last time I killed myself working out, I lost a bunch of weight, which is why I started running again and biking and now starting roller blading. I'm getting a great variety. I don't have time to work out roung the clock. I want the weight off. I don't want muscle weight. I'm getting frustrated and angry that I'm getting fat again. I will start drastic measures soon if I keep gaining. If I stop eating, I'll stop gaining.
    I've tried doing this the right way and it's not working.

Tell me how to get the muscle weight to stop building and to get that stupid 10 pounds off. Please!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are on calorie deficit, the chances of building muscle are nil. DON'T set the bar too high. The last 10lbs are usually the highest so drop your deficit to about -250 from your TDEE and go for losing 1/2 a pound a week.
    Trust when I say that "drastic" measures will usually cause drastic regain of weight once you reached goal and try to eat normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If you cannot build muscle whilst in a calorie defecit then how come I can lift weights today that I could not lift two months ago? I must have some very strong fat.

Strength and building muscle are two different things.

Building muscle(aka new muscle tissue) does not happen in a deficit unless you are obese or new strength training. and then those results end after a bit.

Strength is gained because you are progressively overloading the muscle and thus making it able to do more then it was able to do before.

Thanks for explaining that. I'm new to strength training. I was sure my guns had got bigger!

They probably did but it was a combination of your existing muscle tissue developing, water and glycogen as a result of your workouts. It's called neuromuscular adaptation. It's not a bad thing. It's good. But you didn't have the fuel to grow any new muscle tissue (cells) while eating in a deficit.
  • Wonderob
    Options

Rubbish

Your body transfers into a state of mass catabolism just to maintain energy output levels. It has burnt through the energy assigned for standard exercise and now needs an external outlet to keep the ball rolling. The body begins to feed off its own muscle cells as a key source of energy.

Your body wants to burn fat. It doesn't start burning muscle until you are very very low on fat reserves. The "energy assigned to standard exercise" is glycogen, you burn through that in about half an hour, then you start on fat. Unless you are running 4 hours a day, and not eating enough, you aren't going to start burning muscle. I have grown a huge amount of leg muscle by running in the past 2 years. I run about 20 miles a week, off road. I don't do any other leg exercise, so it is definitely from the running. Sure, olympic marathon runners don't have much muscle, but they do it on purpose to be as light as possible. Normal runners have pretty muscly legs.

Sorry but that's completely not true. To build bigger and bigger muscles you must continue to increase the resistance - i.e add heavier weights. If you could build muscle purely by running then 20 year old olympic marathon runner Haile Gebrselassie with strong muscley legs would now as a 40 year old marathon runner after decades of running have legs the size of tree trunks! He hasn't - they are the same! Show me any top olympic marathon runners with huge legs, they won't have, they'll have slim defined legs with no fat coverage, showing off their relatively small leg muscles

You simply can not build muscle on a calorie deficit, or without ever increasing resistance. Your cardio is most probably reducing your total fat percentage allowing you to see your nice defined leg muscles underneath

And how do you think I got those "nice defined leg muscles"? By running. And yes, they have got bigger since I started. Of course you don't keep on building muscle forever, but no one does. I have built and am maintaining the legs I want by running. I don't want to build more muscle from this point, they are good the way they are.

Your leg muscles were already there. You didn't get them from running, you stripped any fat that covered them to define them Nobody gets bigger muscles by distance running, nobody.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Rubbish

Your leg muscles were already there. You didn't get them from running, you stripped any fat that covered them to define them Nobody gets bigger muscles by distance running, nobody.

Way to thread jack guys. Let's move on as this is clearly not an issue pertaining to the OP.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Way to thread jack guys. Let's move on as this is clearly not an issue pertaining to the OP.

Yeah sorry, couldn't help myself. Moved on now
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Rubbish

Trying to keep on topic is like trying to herd cats, ain't it! LOL
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Please don't get mad because I don't understand. I am just confused by some of the posts on here. I am set at a deficit. I have lost 21 pounds while doing a mix of cardio and weight lifting. If I can't build muscle at a deficit then how come I can see the muscles in my arm that were not there before? I use to flex and it felt like marshmallow. I can see the muscle now and feel it.

You can build a small amount of muscle when in a deficit. This is because even in a deficit you are not always in a deficit, there are periods where you are actually in a surplus. Leangains and other calorie cycling diets are based on this priciple. However this is a horribly inefficient process and gains are tiny.

But you can increase the energy supply to muscles even in a deficit without actually building any new muscle, which will make muscles appear bigger and feel solid. But this is a transient condition, quit lifting for a while and it will go away. Lifting and an elevated protein intake will cause your C-P system to increase its capacity (the exact same thing that taking Creatine causes), mostly just pumping your muscles full of water, the same is true with glycogen, your muscles will store more glycogen for use. Again this is pretty much just pumping your muscles full of water. This is lean weight and it will cause your muscles to increase in size, but this is limited, it will only occur over a short time (few months) before it is maxed out, and it will go away of you quit lifting for a while.

Removed my comment since this is thread jacking. HA! Learn something new everyday on here. Moving on.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If this were true she'd be losing weight faster, not slower, since muscle is heavier than fat.
  • Wonderob
    Options

If this were true she'd be losing weight faster, not slower, since muscle is heavier than fat.

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/10-ways-lose-muscle
    Point 2 - cardio
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I have been busting my butt for 90 days straight plus. I heard the extra 10 pounds is muscle weight. Oddly, the last time I killed myself working out, I lost a bunch of weight, which is why I started running again and biking and now starting roller blading. I'm getting a great variety. I don't have time to work out roung the clock. I want the weight off. I don't want muscle weight. I'm getting frustrated and angry that I'm getting fat again. I will start drastic measures soon if I keep gaining. If I stop eating, I'll stop gaining.
    I've tried doing this the right way and it's not working.

Tell me how to get the muscle weight to stop building and to get that stupid 10 pounds off. Please!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are on calorie deficit, the chances of building muscle are nil. DON'T set the bar too high. The last 10lbs are usually the highest so drop your deficit to about -250 from your TDEE and go for losing 1/2 a pound a week.
    Trust when I say that "drastic" measures will usually cause drastic regain of weight once you reached goal and try to eat normal.

IDEA Fitness member

If you cannot build muscle whilst in a calorie defecit then how come I can lift weights today that I could not lift two months ago? I must have some very strong fat.
    You're speaking of neuromuscular adaptation. Getting strong doesn't require a change in diet. It requires muscle adapting to work loads.
    This is why you can lift more even on calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Your body wants to burn fat.
    Well not really. It would rather keep fat. Human physiology hasn't changed much at all and fat storage is very effective by the body.
    It doesn't start burning muscle until you are very very low on fat reserves.
    Also not true. Dieting without exercise can reduce muscle mass and still keep fat % high.
    The "energy assigned to standard exercise" is glycogen, you burn through that in about half an hour, then you start on fat. Unless you are running 4 hours a day, and not eating enough, you aren't going to start burning muscle.
    This is true.
    I have grown a huge amount of leg muscle by running in the past 2 years. I run about 20 miles a week, off road. I don't do any other leg exercise, so it is definitely from the running. Sure, olympic marathon runners don't have much muscle, but they do it on purpose to be as light as possible. Normal runners have pretty muscly legs.
    Growing muscle in calorie deficit is improbable. Your leg may have gained a little muscle, but the "hardness" and "definition" of muscle more than likely came from reduced body fat.

IDEA Fitness member