Super sore legs

Options
Hi. I am likely going to ask very simple and silly questions, even questions I already know the answers to sometimes. Questions I could probably easily get answered by a simple google search, but this is way easier and less time consuming, so here is my first one.

Two days ago I did my first 60 minute cycling class. I wanted to cry, felt slightly nauseated, didn't always follow exactly what the instructor said, but made it through and was complimented by the guy next to me at the end for doing so well.

Yesterday, I could NOT walk. My legs were hating me.

Today, my legs still hate me. But I'd like to attend a second Cycling class this evening.

Should I wait until my muscles heal a little more or should I just take some aleve, sit in the hot tub, and work through it?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon to still be sore a couple of days later especially if you haven't trained hard. You could probably go to class albeit you probably may not be able to work out as hard. But using the muscles and getting blood into them will actually make them feel better and heal faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Agree. When I am sore (usually from long runs), I do the elliptical the next day at the gym, even if I don't feel like. My legs end up feeling much better afterwards.
  • gethotabs130
    Options
    Yes! Thank you. I was really hoping it would be okay to still go to class. I am in no way in shape. I just got back into swimming and bike around my neighborhood a few times a week. I made it through the cycling class but that was the first super hard workout I have done that lasted more than 15 minutes, in a loooong time. If I can't train as hard tonight, I am okay with it since I'll know why and at this point, just getting to the gym to do anything is a big accomplishment for me.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    make sure you stretch after the class and drink lots of water! When I was training for my half, my legs often didn't want to run back to back days of 7-8 miles...but I did it and was happier in the long run!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    An ice bath is great for muscle recovery in the legs. Most people won't do it because they're pansies, but it works. Regular foam rolling is also good for your legs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In my experience nothing helps with leg soreness better than lower body specific calisthenics. Bodyweight squats are the answer.
  • Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    You shocked yoru system. This is good. Go to class. Don't feel sorry for yourself. Pretty soon you will emerge victorious.
  • gethotabs130
    Options
    Thanks everyone!