Beef Jerky - Good in protein

Options
2»

Replies

• txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    My husband makes beef jerky all the time, and it's fantastic - beats anything you can buy in the store, hands down. After I started losing weight, we spent a lot of time determining its nutritional value. We weighed the meat and measured all the marinade ingredients. After it marinated overnight, we measured how much was poured off, to get a more accurate estimate of what was actually absorbed by the meat. He also blots the meat with paper towels before putting it on the dehydrator. We then weighed the batch after it was done, and calculated the data per ounce.

He's able to slice it really thin, so most of the individual pieces weigh about .2 ounces (two-tenths of an ounce). Each piece is about 2" square. The nutritional value worked out great - 26 calories, 1 gram fat, 6 grams protein, and 122 mg sodium. Not as bad as I thought - as long as you can stop at one or two pieces. :)

Though this is pretty much on par with packaged jerky such as Jack's Links, this tastes better and is much thinner, making it easier to eat less of it.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Jack Links sweet and hot is awesome! They are right proud of it though.....its not cheap.
    My husband has been asked to make his jerky for sale, but it would be too cost prohibitive. It takes three pounds of beef to make one pound of jerky. Then there's the time and labor involved, and he would have to charge a bloody fortune.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I have to admit, I like the stuff myself!!! Me, a woman. Have you tried the Jack Links brand? They have several sizes, and a 30g package is 100 calories, 1g of fat and depending on the flavor, roughly 17g of protein. Be wary of the sodium content though, it's about 650g of sodium a package - but keep in mind, this is for the whole package!!! Nice little treat, and they even have teriyaki flavor (a personal flavor of mine) so you can go normal or good and hot, the type is up to you. And again, great in protein.

This is what I eat for snacks about 3 or 4 times a week, between 1 and 2 oz per.