Does this seem ok to start out?

Options
I like using the treadmill at the gym but I tend to get bored so I figured I'd start mixing some running into it. Right now starting off I walk at 3.8 for 2-3 min and then will run for about a minute, minute and a half at 6.1, at an incline of 2. I was just wondering if this is ok to start out with???

Replies

9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    It should be. You should do what you are comfortable in doing. I think it is great if you want to mix it up. Good luck in your journey
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! Also, Someone on this site once mentioned listening to audiobooks while walking instead of music or nothing. I've been doing it while i walk on a treadmill and it makes the time go faster because i get caught up in the book. If you're bored, consider buying or downloading the audiobook version of something you've been wanting to read. That way, you're multitasking and entertaining yourself while you walk
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable doing it.....just at first I get a little out of breath..just not used to running. That's why I only do it for a minute or so.........I need new earphones for my ipod....lol....I'm fine when I walk but when I run, they fall out......:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!! :flowerforyou:
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to be careful of shin splints...if you go too hard to soon, you might end up with achy legs.

But I say go for it and listen to your body! If it wants more, then GIVE'R :wink:
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree. Watch the incline. I had to sell my treadmill because I push the incline up to high. (It burns so many more calories but it ruins your legs.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to be careful of shin splints...if you go too hard to soon, you might end up with achy legs.

But I say go for it and listen to your body! If it wants more, then GIVE'R :wink:

Ok, thank you for the advice!:smile:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    That's great! :flowerforyou:
    Running is one of the best cardio workouts you can do and it's so satisfying because you'll feel yourself improving every time!

Good luck and keep at it!:happy: