HRM suddenly giving way different calories burned

Options
JoolieW68
JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 110 since last fall, and it has provided consistent results for 'like' exercise routines. For example, I have a routine where I will keep the treadmill incline at 3%, and do HIIT for 3 miles.

Up until about 10 days ago, it told me I burned around 355 (+/- 5 or so calories). About 10 days ago it suddenly started reporting around 235 calories for the exact same routine.

I verified that my profile was set correctly (same age, weight, height, etc), did a master reset (wiped entire memory), and have even updated the firmware on the watch. However, it's still low. Chest strap is also in the same place I always wear it, and I make sure the watch registers my heart rate before I start the workout.

I didn't suddenly lose 50 pounds 10 days ago, and my heart rate is the same was it was before during the workout.

Anyone else have this issue with this same HRM? I've written to Garmin support to see what they say....waiting to find out.

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When my HRM started 'acting funny', I changed the battery in the strap and the watch and the problems were solved.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When it gives wild numbers, it usually has something to do with the strap. Have you been washing it off weekly?
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump. I had some trouble with my Wahoo Fitness HRM and am curious to see what problems can cause faulty readings on HRMs.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say when I had problems the heart rate was off either running way high or stopping and then picking up then I either changed the batteries or washed the strap and reset and all was fine I never had a calorie problem it sounds like a software or firmware issue where its not interpreting your HR for the same calories burned Is this only on the treadmill or does it carryover to other activities

Pictures of your cat on the treadmill thats insane my cat doesnt even want to stay in the basement once treadmill starts
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    Pictures of your cat on the treadmill thats insane my cat doesnt even want to stay in the basement once treadmill starts

He thinks he's a dog. :wink:
  • JoolieW68
    Options
    I wonder if I need to change the activity level I have selected. I have it set to a '7', which according to the manual is for someone who exercises 3-5 times per week for a total of 3-7 hours.

I exercise 6 days per week for a total of 6+ hours.... Hmmmm.....