Exercising with small children in the house

Options
Does anyone do exercise dvd's with little ones in the room? I have a 3 and a half yr old and a nearly 2 yr old. Would you even attempt it? I am thinking the only opportunity I am going to get to do my 30 day shred today is either with the girls or at 10 o clock tonight. I thought it might be fun for us all to have a go or am I crazy to even consider it?

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with the kids in the room. They'll hang with me for about 10 minutes before they get bored. I have better success having them play quietly in their room until I'm finished. Or give them a snack and have them sit at the table to eat it.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    why not? most the times my kids sit on the bed/sofa and watch me.. if i do yoga they do it with me!
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    I get up at 5 am to exercise before the rest of the house wakes up. It's the only way for me.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Give it a try! Be prepared with a snack and 30 minute show. I have worked out with my 3 1/2 year old in the room. She had fun trying to do the same moves. I prefer after the kids to to bed, though, so I don't have to watch out for them.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had done 30 day shred with them in the room when my kids were 3.5 and 2. It wasn't easy. They climbed on my back when I was in push up position, and I had to be careful not to hit their heads when I am moving the weights up. So it depends on how your kids are.
  • Marvalm3
    Marvalm3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience, it is VERY hard to exercise with little ones, even though my daughter is really excited to work out with me... I end up tripping over her and I can't put my full effort into it.
    Sometimes, I turn on a half hour of Mickey Mouse for her while I go into the office and put my exercise dvd into the computer.
    Other times I do let her workout with me and try not to trip over her.

She is now 5 years old, and watching her do my workouts with her little pink 2lb dumbbells is the cutest thing you will ever see!
    There I am... drenched in sweat.... and she's like "let's do it again!!!"
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Up until my kids were about 6 & 8, their bedtime was 7pm. I did my exercises at about 8pm, after they were nicely tucked in bed. When I was little, and my mother used to exercise in the mornings with Jack LaLaine or Exercise with Gloria, before I was 3, Mom used to put me in the play pen in the same room so she could see me and I could see her, but couldn't interfere or get hurt if I got in the way. Older than that I thought it was fun to exercise along with her.

If you have any Wiggles dvds for your kids, put them in, and instead of your normal exercise routine, try to do everything the Wiggles are doing. Your kids will have a blast doing their thing and watching their Mommy Wiggle, and you will be amazed at what a tough workout that really is!!
  • susuenglish
    susuenglish Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - i might give it a go and see if it works. i normally do it on a lunch time when I am working from home but I'm in the office today and I know my husband is cooking us a nice meal which we won't get to eat til 8 once bed time is over with so I was thinking I can't really shred til 10 ish or I'll be sick! I might put tv on in the other room and let them wander through and join in if they like, or they can watch tv.
  • emilylacey1010
    Options
    I've worked out with the kids in the room. They'll hang with me for about 10 minutes before they get bored. I have better success having them play quietly in their room until I'm finished. Or give them a snack and have them sit at the table to eat it.

Mine do the same. Hang with me for a few and then get bored. FOR Sure go for it!
    I take every opprotunity to exercise!
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Mine get bored after 10 mins or so, or get in the way as the space I have available to do the dvd isn't much unless I move furniture, give it a shot!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    google exercise videos for kids --- i had one when my daughter was little and we would do it together. by the time it was over she was bored with the whole concept and would go off on her own for a snack of a movie on the other TV, then I would put in what I wanted. they are usually pretty short, and not real difficult, but it helps you get in a little something extra, starts them on good habits and you get to spend a little quality time together on something fun!
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do the 30 day shred all the time with my kids ages 11, 10, 8, 5, & 3, my only advice is to watch out for very young kids 4 and under if you are using weights. My youngest will want to stand right next to me so I move him in front so I can see him. My oldest 3 will do the entire viedo with me, have fun you have to improvise when your a mom! : )
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tried this also.

During pushups my 2 year old climbed on to my back

During sit ups he waited until i sat up and every time pushed me back doen and laughed.

During burpees he laughed his socks off at every one

During lunges he copied me but trid to hug me every other one.

It was...................................................AWESOME
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have always done my DVD's with my kids in the house from the time they were little until now. It gets easier as they get older though. Good Luck.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I no longer attempt to do DVD's when the girls are up... My 3 year old thinks it's time to make me a jungle gym when I'm trying to do pilates...
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a three and two year old, and I try to do it during nap time. That said, I have done it during the day when they were awake, and they actually each have been kicked (ACCIDENTALLY!!!) once during it when they randomly decide to run behind/in front of/next to me. In the end, though, it all worked out.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I let my kids have 30 minutes of tv time while I'm doing mine. Sometimes they'll joing in, but I prefer to do it alone so I can give it my all without having to worry about jumping on them!
  • 81Kyra
    81Kyra Posts: 115
    Options
    I just did Biggest Loser for Wii with my 3yr old...sometimes I give her something to keep her busy(crayons,paper or snacks ect..) but she usually ends up copying me...she knows what planks, downward dog and a few other exercises are... I say go for it
  • vcreinert
    vcreinert Posts: 83
    Options
    Let them play or copy you. They will get bored and start to play with their things. Make if a fun experience for them.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really exercising until my youngest started nursery at 2 1/2. I was still breastfeeding until then and couldn't face jumping around with the giant boobs. We used to go out and walk a lot in the afternoons, but I didn't really start losing the baby weight until I had a bit of free time in the week, even though it was only 2 1/2 hours a week at first.