For those following a custom plan - based on TDEE

Options
Are you still recording your exercise even though if you set your calories to what you TDEE is and you don't eat back the calories... does that make sense?? Meaning, if I had the suggested goals set by MFP, it gives me 1200 calories but then adds in extra calories for your workouts.
By setting my own goals according to TDEE (mine are about 1700) I was told that you don't eat your extra exercise calories, which I understand, but should I still record it?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you still recording your exercise even though if you set your calories to what you TDEE is and you don't eat back the calories... does that make sense?? Meaning, if I had the suggested goals set by MFP, it gives me 1200 calories but then adds in extra calories for your workouts.
    By setting my own goals according to TDEE (mine are about 1700) I was told that you don't eat your extra exercise calories, which I understand, but should I still record it?

I don't record mine. I think it's really up to you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When I've done this type of plan, I've recorded them, clicked on My Home so they would record in my diary and then went back and deleted them so they would not add into my totals. This way I could go back and see what I did in a week if I wanted to.
  • sabek
    sabek Posts: 8
    Options
    I have heard of a lot of folks adding the exercise for tracking and then manually setting the calories to 1 instead of the amount suggested.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I record them all under strength so that i have a record of what I've done but they don't affect my cals.
  • Jessies_journey
    Jessies_journey Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I record mine as a 1 calorie burn. That way I still "see" that I burned, but I don't log the calories. I put my actual calorie burn from my HRM in my exercise notes section for my further reference.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat at my TDEE for the past week or so and I still log my workouts but don't look at the net calorie number but pay attention to my total calories eaten for the day.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I do my sedentary TDEE -20%, my Fitbit then updates my diary and I eat just about all of my exercise calories back.

Hope that makes sense!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I record mine. Mainly as a way to keep track of what I burn through the week. I find it holds me (personally) accountable.

But I agree, it may be different for you! :smile:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I set my TDEE calories based on "Sedentary" and then log all my exercise... and eat the calories I burn.

But that's what works for me! :happy:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Thanks all! I think I am better off not seeing them because then I will think I can eat them!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat at my TDEE for the past week or so and I still log my workouts but don't look at the net calorie number but pay attention to my total calories eaten for the day.

this!
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I record it and input the calorie estimation from my HRM, but still just eat my 3,000 every day. ( unless I have purposely gone above and beyond on physical activity with the goal of eating more)
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I record all exercise, mostly because I don't keep a detailed track of it anywhere else. Also in case I have a lot of energy to burn and I burn into my BMR, then i'll know how much I have to eat back.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is TDEE -15%. I log my exercise to keep track of the workout times, but just set the calories to 1.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Media Fit, but still log my food and exercise here on MFP. I don't pay attention to the net calories here because I am basing my intake on what BMF says I burn daily. I just like having it as a record to look back on.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i log my exercise, for the most part, just to keep track, but on my cardio days, i want to make sure i'm eating at least my bmr.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I don't log my exercise into MFP. I write it as a status update using the same format MFP does so it shows up in the News Feed. I do record how many calories I've burned in a Food Note because I average it out every week and want to make sure I have a substantial deficit, but not too high. It shows me what I need to work on for the next week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    How else would you keep track of progress? I couldn't tell you, for example, what my bench press weight was 2 months ago off the top of my head. But if I look in my notebook, then I could. Without the log, it would be hard to plan workouts and gauge progress.