Working Out: Morning, Afternoon Or Nightime?

Options
I am in no way shape or form a morning person. I've been trying all my life, but I've got nothing when I get up and am lucky to form sentences before a cup of coffee.

I usually end up working out at night right after work, but sometimes get shorted due to other obligations. What's your preferred time to work out? If you're a night owl and have to work early, how do you get moving hardcore in the morning?

Any and all opinions welcomed on this one...

JD

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out any time before about 2pm. I typically work out in the morning AFTER I've had a few cups of coffee and had time to troll MFP and wake up, and feed my son and wrestle with him a bit. Then I'm ready to get crackin.

I can't work out at night as it interferes with my sleep, badly.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love to workout in the morning before I go to work because it wakes me up after a nice cold shower. If I don't go in the morning then I usually fit in my workout right after work.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I can work out whenever. I prefer mornings because it keeps my depression at bay for the day and makes me feel energetic all day. However, I have a hard time getting myself out of bed in the morning. I'm working on it. When I dont or cant in the morning, I work out right after work while the family is eating dinner. I get sick if I eat right before a work out. I dont sleep much anyway so it doesn't bother me in that regard.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    My usual time is about 10:30am. By this time morning clients are done and the gym has cleared out a little.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    morning, just pay attention to your warm up/stretch
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I would love to workout first thing in the morning and get my metabolism going but with a 4 month old and 2 year old..I work out when i can. As long as i can get my burn in daily, I'm happy!
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I try to workout in the Morining....but I always fail.............

I usually workout in the evenings
  • RebeccaLynn4
    Options
    I too struggle to get up in the morning!! I do find that the energy when I push myself to get up is much higher for the day.

It is all to easy to say oh I'll do it tonight and then something comes up and the daily work out is gone. If you can make time every evening then I really dont think it matters when you work out.

I am fairly new to this but that is what I find for myself.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello! I rotate between morning and evening. I prefer evening because I don't feel so rushed. When I work out in the morning I have to just force myself to get going - once I start its OK and I reward myself with my morning cup of coffee and a nice shower.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Morning for running, evening for anything else. I get up and run at 5 am every other day. On my "off" days, I TRY to get myself up, but just can't do it and usually end up biking at night.
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    personally, workouts are morning times, if i do any running, its afternoon/evening.

my motivation: if i decide to let my workouts slide to the afternoons after work, its much hotter, which by previous experience just sucks, lol
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Generally, I like to work out in the morning or afternoon. If I workout anytime after 7 pm, I am way too awake and end up going to bed late.
  • angels0831
    Options
    It depends on what I feel like. Both the morning and night times are great for burning calories (or so I've heard) and most of the time I work out at night. Running at night is really fun, it's beautiful, and I always end up running more after I've had a whole day to wake up :)
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I can workout whenever, but in the evening after work, I don't have to worry about time constraints. Morning makes me feel energized and relax to prepare for work, but BOY is it hard to get up early! (Translation: I am in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM a "morning person"!)
  • fitnesskid96
    Options
    Whatever time works best for you. & If you can only workout in the morning, but have no energy, i suggest taking a pre workout. They work and will get you up bro
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I used to run in the evening after work.

I got injured (Plantar's Fasciitis) and found that the only way to be able to get my run in is by running in the morning.

Now that's I've finally switched over (my choice was do it in the morning or be hobbled in the evenings and in a lot of pain), I discovered that really love running in the morning.

I used to stress all day long about how I was going to get my run in. I missed quite a few too because something (the kids lol) always got in the way. Now I get up at 5:30 am, do my run and be done with it before I have to go to work (I do strength training after work 3 days a week, too). I love it!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am soooo not a morning person. I would love to wake up and work out and then go to work, but I can not drag myself out of bed, so I typically work out at night and that works very well for me. It is the only work out time I have been consistent with.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I workout right after work, if time is limited I only do a 30 minutes but if I have enough time it's generally over a hour.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I never was a morning person. However, if I don't get my workouts done first thing in the AM I find I don't get them done, or done with less intensity. So I sucked it up and started doing it in the AM. It got easier and easier and now I look forward to it. It wakes me up and sets the mood for the day. And I think I am actually turning into a morning person now lol.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Not a morning person here. I go on short walks throughout the day at work weather permitting and hit the gym after work.