how the heck do i say under my sugar goal??

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    dont worry about the sugar in fruit....it is completely natural, and if you worry about diabetes, natural food that comes from the earth cant give you an illness like that, only processed food can. i suggest that you dont worry about the sugar in fruit, but make sure you dont eat too much processed sugar. good luck (:
    tigerpalm.jpg
    Diabetes has nothing to do with processed vs non-processed food. Food doesn't cause diabetes at all, and a diabetic can go into a sugar coma just as easily from eating fruit as from a candy bar. You might want to educate yourself before you spread around dangerous myths that could kill someone.
  • MrsApprehensive
    MrsApprehensive Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's completely incorrect. Not sure what source you got that from. Your body handles natural sugar completely differently from refined sugar.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking it. I have gone over every single day. I have more important things to worry about. Worry about your fat/carb/protein/fiber intake.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That's completely incorrect. Not sure what source you got that from. Your body handles natural sugar completely differently from refined sugar.
    Um, no it doesn't. The human body doesn't recognize or differentiate the source of sugar. It only recognizes sugar molecules, whether it's fructose, glucose, sucrose, lactose, or maltose from an apple, or fructose, sucrose, glucose, lactose, or maltose from a candy bar, they are digested the exact same way, as they are the exact same molecules.
  • melly424
    melly424 Posts: 23
    Options
    I also do not worry about my sugar. I know I don't go crazy on my sugar, but I was still going over every day. As long as you aren't eating a bag of candy everyday, I personally wouldn't worry about it.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about fruit sugar if you aren't overdoing it. And if you are sacrificing everywhere else, so what. Are you getting to your weight goal? Thats the important thing!!

Basil
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I am always way over on sugar, even though I don't have refined sugar in anything. I find just milk/plain yoghurt and a couple of apples a day puts me over.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely correct Alyana !!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sugar goal is for processed sugars, not natural ones. Even for many diabetic people, fruits of low GI are safe to consume.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: I ignore it. Haha. The way I see it, fruit is super healthy, and that always puts me over. I just try to limit myself to one real goodie per week and avoid high fructose corn syrup in everything else. As long as I'm doing that, I don't seem to see sugar affecting my weight loss.
    ^^^ this..my beloved jellybeans are loaded with corn syrup :( cutting back
  • Pheonix2012
    Pheonix2012 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar from Fruit. Only count added sugar.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I <i>do</i> have a major sweet tooth, and i haven't been able to log a single day without blowing over my sugar limit since i started last month. I've been practically living on sugar for the last four or five years, and it's been an incredibly difficult thing to break. I make sweets for a living, and it's difficult to avoid a bit of quality control here and there.

Switching to sugar-free chocolate and soda at home has been an overall bummer, but i figure that some small change is better than nothing at all. Adding fresh fruit into things has made my diet a little livelier, but it still keeps that number in the red every day.

my diary is open as well, if anyone cares to suggest something else to try.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Your nutrition is exemplary. Your sugars are good carbs. You can always go in and raise the sugar target to realistic levels to allow your current rate of consumption. A nutritionist has been on here before who said that the sugar targets were way too low. This can cause people to skip fruits which is bad, because fruits have important disease-fighting properties.

I want what she's eating!!!!
  • aubhob
    aubhob Posts: 25
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes and the doctor has ordered me to not eat sugar unless it comes from fruit. The caveat for my diabetes is I have to eat a protein with it to slow it down entering my system so a piece of low fat string cheese or almonds. I miss my sugar but I can live without it-or i could die with it-Congrats to all on here for your dedication
  • Tapemymouthshutplease
    Options
    Sugar is the hardest thing for me too. I swear I am addicted to it! Even when I only eat fruit I go over on my sugar. I really don't count the fruit though because it is not processed sugar like you would get from a candy bar. I believe that the more natural food you eat the better. : )
  • kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation about diabetes and processed v refined sugar...I am type 2. All carbs break down to sugars in the body, that's basic metabolism. I'll stay out of the argument about HFCS, but for a diabetic, it's all the same. Personally, I eat fruit every day for the nutrients and fiber. I keep below the overall carb macro (which of course I had to lower) and remember that includes your fruits. so, as long as you stay under your carb total, you are fine, and if it's fruit that's taking you over the sugar limit, don't sweat it but don't eat cookies or sugar-filled jam along with it.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I <i>do</i> have a major sweet tooth, and i haven't been able to log a single day without blowing over my sugar limit since i started last month. I've been practically living on sugar for the last four or five years, and it's been an incredibly difficult thing to break. I make sweets for a living, and it's difficult to avoid a bit of quality control here and there.

Switching to sugar-free chocolate and soda at home has been an overall bummer, but i figure that some small change is better than nothing at all. Adding fresh fruit into things has made my diet a little livelier, but it still keeps that number in the red every day.

my diary is open as well, if anyone cares to suggest something else to try.

When you eat bread, go for wholegrain alternatives.
    Eat more protein (that will help you stay full longer and is good for other reasons too)
    When you have yogurt, go for unsweetened greek yogurt and add fresh or frozen berries and if you need something sweeter drizzle some honey over it.
    To drink diet sodas is not a great alternative, unfortunately, so if you feel up to it try to cut them out too.
    Good luck!!!!
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First, ensure you're hitting calorie, protein, fat target. Let the sugar fall where it may.

Agree, I focus on Protein mostly and then fat & calories.
    My protein focus helped me to loose the first 10-13 lbs steadily and so far it is the track I want to be on.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You have one good looking diet! Woo hoo! Unless you are stalled- I really wouldn't worry about what you are over on sugars.

Sugars in fruit make me stall so I watch that like a hawk... If I use bananas at all (while losing) I use half of one and just cut it in smaller pieces. I avoid dried fruit because it is high in sugars. I eat alot of apples, cantaloupe, blueberries, mixed fruits.

I buy the Dannon nonfat plain yogurt and add a tiny bit of stevia (if needed) and add my own fruit- that way I can control for sugar content.

But, again- you have a nice healthy diet. If you aren't stalled- no worries.
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that affects your ability, sugar is only 'bad' if it's the added kind. Sucrose added to food is a source of empty calories- it has absolutely no positive nutritional value, and can really up your total calories consumed. For example, one can of non-diet soda has about 8 teaspoons of sugar, and at 16 calories per teaspoon, that's a lot of essentially wasted calories. Sugar from fruit cames along with fiber and other positive nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc), so according to most nutrition studies, fruit sugar (or veggie sugar, or anything else that's NATURALLY occuring in food) doesn't count when limiting sugar.

For the MFP sugar limits, ignore fruit. I go over mine every day (I eat a lot of fruits and veggies), and I'm losing weight steadily. There isn't a whole lot of research (valid or otherwise) supporting COMPLETELY eliminating sugar to enhance weight loss.