Personal Trainer/Nutritionist

Options
Hi All,

Well this is my first ever post here, so I better introduce myself, My name is Lisa and i am on a weightloss journey! I have lost a fair amount of weight in the last year, probably about 2 stone but probably not by healthy eating so to speak as I drastically reduced my protein intake and became quite obsessive about it all i lived quite alot on fruit & veg ..., I joined MYP because im currently trying to lose roughly 6lbs, my stats are

Female
22 years only
currently weigh: 130lbs
my target is: 123lbs
height: 5ft 7"

work out on average 4 times a week (twice with my trainer)

I recently got a personal trainer as I feel i needed that extra bit of motivation and trying something different to what I usually do workout wise! I also want to get some definition in my stomach arms & legs. He suggested an eating plan which im finding very hard here is what he suggest, im a bit concerned as its a drastic increase in protein (which makes me think will that much actually put on weight?!) secondly it seems im eating more which i cant get my head around as i wouldn't normally have as much protein as this and finding the carbs quite restrictive as I love my fruit & veg so much lol!

Do you guys have any info/tips/ suggestions? I feel quite overwhelmed with it all and cant seem to get my head round it.

His suggested dietry requirements:

Cals per day 1600
Protein: 207g
Fats: 55g
Carbs: 83g

Many thanks guys!

Lisa :)

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I do a high protein/low carb diet. Low carb because of my diabetes. The higher protein is good for you...and it helps to make you feel more satisfied. It wont hurt you. :)

Good luck on your journey!!
  • lisaloo103
    lisaloo103 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks, im just a bit concerned about how much protein i would be consuming, that is quite alot wouldn't you say? also do you guys think its sustainable?

Thanks again, im very confused & apprehensive about it all at the moment.

Lisa
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The protein will help you build lean muscle (as long as it's lean/clean protein) which will help you drop those last few pounds/inches.

I'd say at this point you are probably quite slim, yes? It's more a matter of adding lean muscle for that definition. Congratulations on loving your fruits & veg, but don't be afraid of the protein because you will be happier with the workout results in the long run.

I default my protein with "Now! Sports 100% Whey Protein" purchased through amazon-dot-com. I like it because there aren't any artificial additives (no extra sweeteners, flavors, supplements) and I can make it taste like whatever I want. If you mix it with milk you will also be adding protein. I prefer coconut milk or almond milk, but that's just me. The protein powder alone has 30g per serving! That's my usual work week breakfast for example: mixed with 6 frozen strawberries, 1T chia seeds (again, protein, fiber, omega 3's), stevia in the raw and cinnamon. About 300 calories and loaded with protein to start the day!

Best of luck to you. As always, you will likely get lots of great advice and suggestions here. Choose the ones that feel like they'll work for you and you're golden!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Lisa, do you know what your body fat % is or lean body mass? If so I can figure out your BMR and TDEE and compare.

Also, how long are each of the 4 training sessions? Approximately, how much of it is strength training? How much time dedicated to cardio? If doing cardio on a treadmill, elliptical, bike, or any other mode, what are the settings (speed, intensity, incline, etc)?
  • lisaloo103
    lisaloo103 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply guys, im really intrigued about it all and all your suggestions are welcome my body fat % is 23.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    50% of calories from protein seems unnecessary, particularly if the OP is finding her fruit and veggie intake uncomfortably restricted. Someone help me out here -- why would this be recommended?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    50% of calories from protein seems unnecessary, particularly if the OP is finding her fruit and veggie intake uncomfortably restricted. Someone help me out here -- why would this be recommended?

Why unnecessary?

I prep a lot of guys on 50/25/25 myself
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Protein is key. Our thinking should be...what am I going to have with my Protein. What most don't realize is your body can also use / produce carbs from protein. So eat lots of protein and drink lots of water.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer 2x a week and we do heavy weights with light reps. My macro's are set to 40C/40P/20F. You need the protein to help build muscle. I'm currently at 22% BF and my goal is 20%.

Good luck!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein is key. Our thinking should be...what am I going to have with my Protein. What most don't realize is your body can also use / produce carbs from protein. So eat lots of protein and drink lots of water.

Exactly. Carbs are the only food source we can survive without.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    yup i have learnt this the hard way.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    5'7" perfect weight for a woman is appx 135lbs.
    Recomp IMO.

Youll look sick if you go 10lbs lower.

TDEE is appx 2100.

Cut cals to about 1700 to lose weight and raise them to about 2300 to gain.
    2300 daily would have her gaining appx 1/4lb a week.

If she recomps it would take her about 80weeks to gain 10lbs.

So she could eat 2300 on training days up to 3 days a week and eat 1700 on rest days.
    *shrugs*
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

According to whom? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone ever say that. And, while researching the Paleo diet, researchers are rejecting it due to it's lack of carbs. Let's be careful about the information we provide. I have never seen true research saying it's OK to cut carbs, quite the opposite, actually.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Your trainer is following common guidelines to help you build the muscle for the toned arms and legs you aim for. If you are working out intensely, the 1600 seems right on. It seems to me your trainer is taking a healthy approach to your training plan. If you think the protien is too high, maybe you could talk with him about starting a bit lower as a compromise? I say go with the trainer! See how the professional's plan works!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

According to whom? This is the first time I have ever heard anyone ever say that. And, while researching the Paleo diet, researchers are rejecting it due to it's lack of carbs. Let's be careful about the information we provide. I have never seen true research saying it's OK to cut carbs, quite the opposite, actually.

EDIT: I'm confusing my threads. LOL. What Matt is saying is true.

Your body can manufacture glucose through gluconeogenesis. Carbs are non-essential.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It's looks like a good plan to me, too.

You could possibly swap over some of that protein for more carbs if you really wanted to have that extra 2 slices of bread or whatever for lunch instead.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Bump
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd up your calories to about 1700 for training days. At 1600, that is 74% of your TDEE, which may be a bit low.
    1352 BMR
    2163 TDEE
    TDEE x .80=1730 calories

You can also adjust your macros.
    100 (lean body mass) x 1.5=150g protein (this is more than enough)=600 calories
    70g fat=630 calories
    117g carbs=470 calories
    Total calories=1700

If you are considerably short on protein by 50g or so, consume an extra 25g for the first week and another 25g the second. If you want to reduce your carbs to below 100, then you could add more protein. The beautiful (and frustrating) thing about macros is you can tune it according to how your body responds the best.