To LOG or NOT TO LOG

I hated it. It kicks my OCD into high gear. Perfectionism at it’s finest. Every little detail drove me nuts. But, now…we have made friends, because it has empowered me beyond my imagination.

Logging was something that I tried and tried, I could do fairly well, but one little indiscretion that I didn’t want to log and my day was shot. That led me to just abandon today, and try again tomorrow, the license to eat whatever and whatever amount of it. That led to I’ll start again Monday.

They say knowledge is power. And, you can not change what you don’t acknowledge. So now, I’m logging. I log everything. Yes, I’ve been known to log housework. I have a sedentary job and sometimes, I just need to give myself credit. But more important for me, I log food. I LOG FOOD. I LOG the GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY. WOW!!!! How empowering is that. I’ve learned so much. I’ve learned that I do have some control over the sodium I consume. I do have some control over my calorie budget. MOST IMPORTANT, I’ve learned that one small indiscretion, does not make the day an EPIC failure. More often than not, if I eat something off plan, I can still recover within my calorie budget for the day.

Logging has empowered me to the point that I am gaining confidence. It is also giving me the courage to say NO to food I truly don’t want. I have even taken a bite of something, just to put it down and say, “It’s not worth it,” AND MEAN IT!.

I urge anyone that struggles with this battle of obesity to stop fighting your resistance to journaling and keeping a food log. Here at MFP, it’s soooooo easy. It is truly giving me the power to keep taking steps forward to change for my HEALTH!!!

Replies

• ksantomas
    ksantomas Posts: 19 Member
    This is me! I do really well for 2-3 days then eat one thing that is not healthy and refuse to log it. Once that happens I am done for the day and tell myself I've already failed so start grazing. Sometimes I can pick up again in the AM and get back on track though lately it seems that I log for 2-3 days, graze for 2-3 days, then repeat. It's almost like if I didn't log it, then it doesn't exist; magical thinking.

I started back up today with the goal to complete the food log for 1 week, regardless of the type and calore of the food in question. Just log in everything. Keep your fingers crossed!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    This is me! I do really well for 2-3 days then eat one thing that is not healthy and refuse to log it. Once that happens I am done for the day and tell myself I've already failed so start grazing. Sometimes I can pick up again in the AM and get back on track though lately it seems that I log for 2-3 days, graze for 2-3 days, then repeat. It's almost like if I didn't log it, then it doesn't exist; magical thinking.

I started back up today with the goal to complete the food log for 1 week, regardless of the type and calore of the food in question. Just log in everything. Keep your fingers crossed!

Good Luck....I hope that you find like me, that it is an empowering tool to help you, rather than a guilt stick to beat yourself up with. :)