History of interest in vegetarianism :)

Options
To my vegetarian friends, how did u start? Did u start cold turkey or wean yourself? I've been "trying" for about 2 years now and it's sooooo hard. LOL Any suggestions? Share your story please

Replies

• tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey,

i've been vegetarian for a few years now but previously I wouldn't touch a meal if it didn't contain meat; steak was my favourite food.
    I read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (http://www.eatinganimals.com/) on a recommendation from a friend and as a result couldn't bring myself to eat my chicken dinner that night and haven't touched meat since! The smell makes me feel sick now.

Many vegetarian/vegan lifestyle books can be quite full on and judgemental but I found this to be more interesting than anything else and it contains a lot of facts and information about meat processing, health and also more ethical alternatives to eating supermarket meat (such as sourcing meat from local farmers).

Maybe it'll have the same effect on you :)
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 5 years now and recently started transitioning to veganism.

For years, I didn't really cook much meat so I was only eating it a couple of times a week when I ate out or bought a sandwich with meat or something. So it was quite easy for me to transition. You could try to replace meat with vegetarian meat substitutes (e.g. veggie sausages, mince etc.) to begin with. That said, in the long run becoming vegetarian or vegan is more about learning a whole new way of eating.

Try cooking vegetarian foods with lots of flavour - try Mexican for example, a veggie chilli or veggie tacos are delicious and you won't miss the meat! I would also recommend reading veggie blogs and cookbooks for inspiration and experimenting!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since the age of 10 (20 yrs ago). I can remember as a kid refusing to eat my roast beef on my roast dinner, I'd pick the meat off my plates of food and eat everything else. I just hate the texture and flavour of meat. I've never tasted a steak, the way it looks turns my stomach.

Basically meat to me looks completely unedible. Everyone has food they don't know and meat is mine.

A month ago I watch a TV programme regarding veal and the dairy industry. They showed 3, day old male dairy calves being shot in the head simply because they are the by product of the industry. Then and there I decided I couldn't pretend I don't know that happens just so that I can put milk on my cereal and in my cups of tea. Since then I've had no milk in the house and my housemate has supported me with this since watching the same programme.

I made a blog post about it because it affected me so much...
    http://lottiescreations.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/scientia-potentia-est-knowledge-is-power/

I think I'm probably within the minority with simply I don't like meat.
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been moving toward vegetarianism as well lol. I don't care for meat. I am definitely a vegetable and carb breading eating chick, so I can't go straight raw... LOL well not yet at least =).