Why I choose option *Closed Food Diary

Options
Mine is closed because what I eat is my business and no one Else's and I don't feel the need to try to impress anyone from it , I know I'm doing what needs to be done and I do it well. But I don't think it should take away any support because of it. As long as we post it everyday that should be enough for people. I mean I don't discriminate others for their choices. Anyone feel the same?.
No need to sore comments just curious who agree's is all. :)

Replies

• wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I dont really care either way if people want to nose on what I eat but mine is set to friends only... Simply because I enjoy having a nose and getting a few ideas of what to do for my own dinner....

Yes I have wine
    Yes I have chocolate
    Yes I eat a lot of fruit and veg

And you know what I log it and keep it under my calorie allowance..... and if people want to ***** me out about it then thats fine... I'll just have a glass of wine and ignore them safe in the knowledge that I'm enjoying it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nope, I have nothing to hide and proud of my choices whether it's good or bad.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I choose to have my diary open to my friends. That's my choice because I trust them to point out my mistakes (without criticizing) - there are times I may think I'm making good decisions, but someone else's knowledge and experience could prove me wrong.

I also choose not to comment on friends who have closed diaries. I will support their other posts (NSVs, weight loss, exercise), but I will not give them blind support. I look at it this way - if their diary is closed, they could be eating 300 calories every day or doing something else that's unhealthy or harmful to their body. I choose not to support that.....so I stick to the safe course of not supporting what I can't see.

Just my two cents :)
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree :) However it all depends on your goals. Some people want others to give them advise about nutrition and how they should be eating. But if somebody chooses to keep their diary private, that should not be a reason to give them less support or anything. We're all in this together and our main goal is the same: to lose weight and get healthy.
    It all depends on my frame of mind whether my diary is open or not. When I feel like I need more support of if I've hit a plateau, I open up my diary, but when I know that what I'm doing works for me but I feel insecure or vulnerable, I close it. It's your journal and if you want to keep it closed that's your business! :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to "friends only" but I would open it if I posted to the forums asking for help (since it's hard to offer help with a complete lack of information, not that such limitations would stop any of us! (grin)).

I'm not trying to impress my friends (or anyone else) with my diary. I like having my friends' diaries open so I can snoop and steal ideas from them, and I offer the same courtesy in return.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I choose to keep mine open because I like the accountability. I also appreciate when others keep theirs open so I can get new food ideas to stay within my macros and offer support or ideas to them when/if needed. Also, when people ask for help, it is really hard to offer constructive, thoughtful advice on a closed diary. That said - if a friend keeps theirs closed - and some do, then I don't make an issue of it.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't care whether or not your diary is private or open.. I still try to be a supportive friend. It's your decision and your diary :)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It is is how I prefer it for myself!

I think people have issues with it when some individuals ask for help or vent that MFP isn't working for them, but then have their diary closed.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I think people have issues with it when some individuals ask for help or vent that MFP isn't working for them, but then have their diary closed.

I agree Jillica. I would give anythinhg for someone to come up with some real advice as to anything I am doing/eating wrong in order to get my weight to shift again!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    mine is open to friends. Some have asked me what I eat to have success and I don`t mind shareing that I have a well rounded diet I don`t exclude foods and still have results to show for my work. But its not totaly public because I don`t want a ton of random comments from haters saying oh you had mcdonalds today your aweful lmbo ( I`m an everything in moderation kinda person and it works for me)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My diary is public and I am not trying to impress anyone. Some people have gotten ideas from what I have in there. If it helps, thats fine.

I have friends who dont have a public diary, but I dont comment when they complete it, because I dont know what to comment on. The fact that they filled it out? Thats part of what the site is here for anyway. Some people just stick an arbitrary amount of calories in and hit the button. I dont comment on that either.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed too! It's a personal choice, to me there is no right or wrong about it. It's what works best for you! I'm still very supportive of my friends, I'm very interactive and comment frequently.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Mine is also private, but I make a point of not requesting advice on nutrition (plateaus, etc) unless I also decide to open it up. I feel there's a little bit of judgy one-upance about food choices, but mostly I close mine just b/c I feel more comfortable that way. Don't sweat it; it's your choice!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because what I eat is my business and no one Else's and I don't feel the need to try to impress anyone from it , I know I'm doing what needs to be done and I do it well. But I don't think it should take away any support because of it. As long as we post it everyday that should be enough for people. I mean I don't discriminate others for their choices. Anyone feel the same?.
    No need to sore comments just curious who agree's is all. :)

Did you mean to post this on your own wall for those to whom you're directing this, or did you want it in the public forum? Sounds like you're defending your position on how you share your diary, but that's your choice and your diary.

However, I do not feel the same (since that's what you asked). I have my diary open to my friends.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends, not to the general public. I eat South Indian food; most people would get no value out of looking at a bunch of stuff they don't understand. Also, as a general rule, I don't stick my nose in other people's diaries, except by invitation (IOW, they asked questions). There is one person that I keep closer tabs on, but that's because I suspect she might be slipping into the ED realm.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - it's your choice to do as you wish with this, and no one should judge you. I have never looked at anyone's food diary anyway.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed too. I haven no intention of ever making it public. I have enough issues with food that I am working on, I don't need to add the paranoia of other people judging what I'm eating to the mix, lol.

Weight loss is such a personal and sensitive thing. Everyone does it in their own way, in their own time, at their own pace. I'm on the slow track and I my goals are not as extreme as some. I just want to get back to when I felt my best. Anything else is just (non-fat) gravy.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Everyone should have the choice to have their diary open or closed without being judged. If it works for you, then who cares what others think?
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I completely agree - it's your choice to do as you wish with this, and no one should judge you. I have never looked at anyone's food diary anyway.

I totally agree!!!!!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Open or closed is a personal choice. My thoughts on this are here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dancingj2/view/diary-open-or-closed-279618