Carbs vs. protein + recently upped calories.. help!

Options
Hi all,

I guess I'm really just looking for advice on how I can improve my eating habits, and any stories related to upping calories to refresh metabolism, and the effects thereof.

After going through some rough patches I've finally made my diary public (go back a few weeks to see some pretty crazy ups and downs). Trying to restrict myself to 1200 a day was making me miserable (and binge at least weekly!!!) and I'm also only 5lbs from my goal so I decided to up my calories to 1400 to save my sanity. I'm not religious about keeping to my new daily goal of 1400, and as long as I stay close to or under my TDEE of ~1800 I don't sweat it. I also allow myself treats now and then given that they fit into my daily goal - yesterday it was cheesecake =)

I knew to expect some initial weight gain with the upped calories, and have gone up about 4lbs which I hope will slowly go away over the next few weeks as my metabolism readjusts. What I REALLY want to know is if my carb/fat/protein ratios are condusive to a long-term diet change. I tend towards vegetarian eating habits 95% of the time so my carbs (from an abundance of fruit and occasional sweets) are often over while my protein is often under. I try to eat greek yogurt, spinach, etc. when I can but wonder if the way I eat is sustainable in the long-term. I don't want to derail after all my hard work (managed to keep 20+ pounds at bay for the past 1.5 years) and want to make the way I eat the norm rather than having it FEEL like a diet!

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think that because you are 23, that what you are doing will be fine. I know that when I was in my 20s and 30s, all I had to do was keep my calories in check.

Now that I am older (42) calories alone do not work, I do have to watch my carbs. I like to do around 100 carbs/day and 125-150 protein/day.

I loved this article and helped me out: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1tS2Cgl87

But, saying all of that, I really think that if what you are doing is working for you, then stick to it. if you see weight slowly adding on, maybe try switching your macros around. I like 35/30/35 P/C/F