Muscle gain on maintenance?

Options
DPernet
DPernet Posts: 481 Member
I understand that you can't gain muscle mass while on a calorie deficit unless you're obese. Now that I'm no longer obese, all I'm doing is preventing muscle loss as much as possible until I reach my goal weight. Hopefully I have this right :happy:

My question would be do you have to be on a calorie surplus or can you gain muscle mass and reduce fat just eating at maintenance?

Or do I set my goal 10lbs lower and then build it back up?

Slightly confused :ohwell:

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You can recomp somewhat. But it's a very sloooooow process. And it wouldn't be as fast as if you just did a bulk/cut cycle. See leangains, as it's basically a diet plan to accomplish this. edit: leangains is the recomp diet for eating at maintenance to gain muscle and lose fat so to speak. bulk/cut is self explanatory.

Thats said, there is no reason you can't just do a clean bulk, where you gain both fat and muscle mass, but try and limit fat gain as much as you can by only just eating over maintenance. Aim for about 2/3lbs gain/month.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Very timely post... I was about to ask the same. I'm assuming that a small surplus is needed but unsure if a "small" surplus is sufficient. I hate the thought of yo-yoing.
  • DPernet
    Options
    OK. Time to go 'Google' these mysterious 'Cycles' and 'Lean gains' of which you speak :smile:

Who knew this was going to be such hard work :laugh:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    OK. Time to go 'Google' these mysterious 'Cycles' and 'Lean gains' of which you speak :smile:

Who knew this was going to be such hard work :laugh:

to further explain. Bulking is just eating a ton of food to gain weight and fat. Cutting is eating under maintenance to lose muscle and fat.

The idea is you lift heavy weights while doing both. And the body will prioritize gaining muscle while eating in excess. And keeping it while eating less.

the cycle part is just say bulking for a month, then cutting for a month. so a 2 month cycle so to speak.
  • DPernet
    Options
    So when I finally reach my goal weight I can bulk back up 5lbs then cut 5 lbs and keep doing this until I reach my goal Body Fat %.

Makes sense. Thanks guys.