Tofu

Options
Shanta1983
Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
Welcome Mfpers:happy: How is everyone? Fine I hope:flowerforyou: Well today I took out some tofu and I was scared to cook it..I tried it sautee me some onions and peppers and seasoning it with no sodium herb seasoning ....And I sample it and it actually taste great..Im making a meatless meatloaf with it..I though I was going to be like :noway: ..So any of you ever cook with it and what do you make with it? Care to share?:wink: ..If I can think of any good ideas I will slowly cut meat back a tad little bit..I already tried fish (talapia) and I love it grilled..(Never even like fish):laugh: ..But since I started this journey Im trying alot of things I thought I wouldnt like.This lifestyle change is awesome...Just bring out creativity and Explore those taste buds Mfpers..Alright give me some feedback:wink:

Replies

• teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am not a tofu expert by any means... But pay attention to the firmness of the tofu. Firm or extra firm are great for sliceing and stir frys. But my favorite and my kids favorite is tofu smoothies.

1/2 cup or more of silken tofu
    1/2 bannana
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or peaches or mango, or whatever you like)
    Top with fat free cool whip
  • missbabybee
    Options
    Tofu is an awesome ingredient becuase it is so versatile. You'll learn what to do with different textures (Firm, Soft, Silken etc). I add it to foods to boost protein and use it as the main ingredient. What kind of foods do you usually cook? I add soft tofu to turkey meatloaf because it helps to keep it moist. I cube various textures and add it to soups. Sometimes I grill the firm or extra firm tofu and serve it on top of mixed greens. A tip to adding it to stir fry is to fry it in a little bit of olive oil until it browns on all sides. It adds a layer of flavor and it doesn't fall apart when you stir fry!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I like to get Extra firm tofu, slice it thin, put some bbq sauce on it and grill it. I put it on foil because it is so flimsy, but after you grill it it gets nice and crispy. Sometimes I put it on a Arnolds sandwich thin with lettuce and tomatoes or I just eat it plain. Its really good!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love a nice firm tofu in a buddah's delite type stirfry, or on the grill with seasoning. MMMM MMM
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I sometimes cut it into chunks and soak it in a low sodium soy sauce and then bake it. It's pretty good that way. sometimes I'll roll it up in crushed peanuts and breadcrumbs first. Also very tasty.

Other than that I add it to my stir fries, of carrots, peas, mushrooms garbanzo beans and rice. And sometimes I'll eat it in my spaghetti or something.

There are lots of great recipes but I haven't tried many.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Stir Fry it!! At least that's what I do..
  • steinbergshal
    Options
    I like to cut firm tofu into cubes, sprinkle it with taco seasoning, and then pan fry it in a little olive oil until crispy on all sides. This is great in soft tacos, and burritos instead of hamburger:love:. As an alternative, you can cook it with sesoning and make it like a scramble or crumble texture instead. Enjoy your experiments!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    umm yum all you all recipes sound great:happy: ..and to the other person this is my first time using it I just got thru eatng it It was good but Im going to go for more of the crispier taste and also..I forgot but umm yea
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i make teriyaki tofu with broccoli ..... i posted the receipe under recipes ENJOY
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    i make teriyaki tofu with broccoli ..... i posted the receipe under recipes ENJOY
    okay i thought i posted it under recipes but i cant find it so here it is .....
    1 package (12oz) light firm tofu , drained and cut into 1" cubes
    3 whole green onions, finely chopped
    1 tsp. minced fresh garlic( i add more cuz i love garlic)
    1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
    1/2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp. hot sesame oil
    1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
    2 TBSP. light teriyaki sauce
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes or more to taste
    Place a nonstick skilet over high head until it is hot enough for the sprtiz of water to sizzle. briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray. Heat for 3 seconds. Add the tofu, green onions. garlic, ginger, olive oil, and sesame oil. Cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes . Add the broccoli. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 12 minutes , or until the tofr is browned on all sides . Stir in the teriyaki sauce. Season with pepper flakes . Cook for 30 to 60 seconds, or until the sauce thickens slightly . Spoon onto 2 seving plates. Serve immediately .
    MAKES 2 SERVINGS
    Per Serving: 118 calories, 13 g protein , 10g carbs, 3g fat(less that 1 g saturated). 0mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 597mg sodium .....ENJOY this is sooooo delicious
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When you first start eating tofu you eat it with other stuff. Later on, you'll start to just like the taste of tofu.

I usually make tofu parm (bread the tofu and pan fry it, then cover with sauce and mozz cheese).
    I also will pan fry tofu and use it in sandwiches. Also good chunked up in tomato sauce, stir frys, pretty much anything you can use meat for.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I tried to look in the food database, but it's a little difficult to gauge if you're not familiar with tofu. How much (and how many calories worth ) would be used in a recipe- say in your tofu parm, msarro- or in any other recipes for that matter. The database has SO many different kinds, firmness, sizes, measures, etc. Can anyone give me a ballpark? I've never cooked with tofu, but would like to know more about it so maybe I can start! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Also, where do you buy tofu? I'm assuming maybe it's in a certain section of the grocery store? I've seen products made of tofu, but never just plain tofu :huh: Maybe I just never really looked...
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    Options
    I tried to look in the food database, but it's a little difficult to gauge if you're not familiar with tofu. How much (and how many calories worth ) would be used in a recipe- say in your tofu parm, msarro- or in any other recipes for that matter. The database has SO many different kinds, firmness, sizes, measures, etc. Can anyone give me a ballpark? I've never cooked with tofu, but would like to know more about it so maybe I can start! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Also, where do you buy tofu? I'm assuming maybe it's in a certain section of the grocery store? I've seen products made of tofu, but never just plain tofu :huh: Maybe I just never really looked...
    Tofu is bought in the grocery store next to produce ... where i get mine is next to the vegetarian food and alpha sprouts ... hope you find it ... its good stuff ....i use a whole 12 oz for my teriyaki broccoli which i posted the recipe up there ^ ...
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    tofu is also sometimes in the health food section. I like to get the mori-nu kind that doesn't have to be put in the fridge.
    I can sometimes eat the whole package of tofu for under 300 calories, for the type I buy. But as in all things you must check your own package/ serving size.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Tofu

This thread made me tofu hungry!
  • mscocoa30
    mscocoa30 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tofu is yummy. Tonight I had grilled bbq tofu. If you are using tofu as a meat substitute, firmness is very important.