Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Upped My Calories Gaining Weight WTF??

So I took the plunged and upped my calories but I've gained weight instead of losing any. What the hell am I doing wrong??

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    It's normal to gain initially after increasing calories. Hang in there.

Also, maybe join the "Eat More to Lose" group. Lots of good info on what to expect.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I've adjusted my calories several times from 1200 per day all the way up to 3200 per day. Each adjustment resulted in an intial gain of a couple pounds or so. After 1-2 weeks they came right off plus more. Hang in there, it's not a sprint. It's a marathon!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Yes, you need 4 to 6 weeks to really test it out. That being said, it's not going to work for everyone because the BMR/TDEE estimates are just averages. I have always suspected my BMR is lower than normal. I upped my calories 2.5 to 3 months ago. I never saw gains per se, but I've been losing much more slowly. 2 to 2.5 lbs. a month instead of 4 to 5. I just bumped my calories back down today. Whether the issue for ME was a lower than normal BMR, underestimating my calories eaten, or overestimating my calories burned exercising, I don't know. But the higher number wasn't actually working very well. I'll miss those extra calories :-(

I just did the math for myself. The 1.5 lbs. a month I'm no longer losing equates to 175 calories a day. And I had upped my calories a day by about 200. So for me, I do think I need the lower calories. Drat. I was really hoping I was wrong LOL.
  • Thank you guys! I'm trying to not be discouraged but the weight gain is hard. I'm trying though. Today was bad... REALLY BAD! I'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Kinda had a pity party day with food. :(
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I wrote this earlier... hopefully it will reassure you the gain is temporary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/646147-gaining-weight-when-increasing-calories