Whey protein (isolate) recommendations???

Options
olymp1a
olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
Hi there,

Since I started very low carb to ketogenic diet (that's due to health issue and it's advised by my doctor) I am really considering of buying a whey protein isolate. I say isolate cause as I know isolates have zero or very few carbs. Do you have any recommendations???

Replies

• lrlnss
    lrlnss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have Muscle Milk by Cytosport now and it tastes good (vanilla being the best). Cytosport makes a Whey Isolate too; I would assume the taste wouldn't be much different.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    PRO-NOS
  • risec10
    risec10 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Natures Best Isopure Zero Carb is awesome. I have vanilla and chocolate and they are both amazing.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO-100 Hydrolized Whey Protein.
    106 calories
    0 fat
    0 cholesterol
    50 mg sodium
    1 g carbs
    24 g protein

This comes in a few different flavors. I've tried the Gormet Chocolate and the Gormet Vanilla and loved them both. I think they have a strawberry and a banana too. I just add 1 scoop to 8 oz of water, shake and drink. It mixes very well and tastes good too.
  • olymp1a
    Options
    Dymatize ISO-100 Hydrolized Whey Protein.
    106 calories
    0 fat
    0 cholesterol
    50 mg sodium
    1 g carbs
    24 g protein

This comes in a few different flavors. I've tried the Gormet Chocolate and the Gormet Vanilla and loved them both. I think they have a strawberry and a banana too. I just add 1 scoop to 8 oz of water, shake and drink. It mixes very well and tastes good too.

This one looks very interesting, I will look into it! Thank you so much for all the recommendations!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's whey isolate kick *kitten* and are tasty. Not to mention the excellent profile :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition's whey isolate kick *kitten* and are tasty. Not to mention the excellent profile :-)

That would be my recommendation also. It's 3g of carbs and 24g of protein per serving size.
  • pinkwhisk
    pinkwhisk Posts: 41
    Options
    http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/total_protein

46g protein each serving and only 2.4g carbs
  • olymp1a
    Options

You mean the Gold Standard one? I was looking into their products and this is probably the one you're referring to... sounds great! Which taste have you tried?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Just fyi ON gold standard is probably going to win. They are great at advertising and people seem to like their products.

True nutrition has milk protein that is customizable, you may want to check them out. Carbs is about 1 I believe

http://www.truenutrition.com/p-939-milk-protein-isolate-1lb.aspx

I use kaizen (the natural version) isolate and concentrate (also available as just a isolate) in chocolate.

Isolate and concentrate:
    Natural Kaizen Whey Decadent chocolate (gluten FREE) 100% New Zealand Whey Protein Isolate + Concentrate 908g (2lb) for 22 dollars at Sobeys grocery stores. You can also get the just isolate one which i would recommend (according to most reviews isolates taste better and mix better from what i have read).

"New Zealand whey proteins are considered to be the cleanest and purist in the world. The milk used to produce these whey protein is free of hormones (rBGH) and antibiotics as well as being GMO free. They are also routinely screened for chemical contaminants including pesticides and heavy metals."

Ingredients: New Zealand Protein Blend (cross flow micro-filtration whey protein isolate, ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate), cocoa, natural flavors, Enzyme Blend (Protease 1 & 2, Lactase, Amylase), soy lethin, stevia leaf.

Nutrition Facts: Per 30.4 g (1 scoop) protein: 24 g Cals: 122 fat: 1.5 g sat fat: .5 g cholesterol: 30mg sodium 40mg potassiium 250mg carbohydrate 3 g fibre 0 g sugar 1 g calcium 10%

Amino Acid Profile (mg) Alanine 1110 Arginine 630 Aspartic Acid 2305 Cystine 550 Glutamine & Precursors 4083 Glycine 390 Histidine 430 Isoleucine 1520 Leucine 2620 Lysine 2240 Methionine 520 Phenylalanine 820 Proline 1475 Serine 1090 Theronine 1690 Tryptophan 405 Tyrosine 702 Valine 1420

Total BCAA's 5560 leucine 2620 lsoleucine 1520 Valine 1420

More info on what people thought of it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/598693-advice-info-broke-down-and-bought-protein-powder
  • olymp1a
    Options
    That sounds interesting, I will also look into that!

What are your favorite tastes?
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I have tried a few and so far my favorite is called "About Time" and I love it! It's all natural, no growth hormones, sweeteners, zero carb/fat, lactose and gluten free. It tastes really good. I think I purchased mine at GNC. It's 24 g of protein per scoop.
  • olymp1a
    Options
    I have tried a few and so far my favorite is called "About Time" and I love it! It's all natural, no growth hormones, sweeteners, zero carb/fat, lactose and gluten free. It tastes really good. I think I purchased mine at GNC. It's 24 g of protein per scoop.

Oh this sounds sweet, I love natural products! Could you please tell me what company makes it? I'm in Europe and I will probably have to order it online!
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options

Oh this sounds sweet, I love natural products! Could you please tell me what company makes it? I'm in Europe and I will probably have to order it online!

It's made by SDC nutrition and their site is www.tryabouttime.com. You can definitely find it online (just checked Amazon.com and they have it).
  • olymp1a
    Options
    Thank you so much!