Support needed!

Options
Hey there MFP,

Ok, so I'm 21 and I weigh 185 lbs. That number is not something I am proud of or OK with, but my family and friends insist that I look fine the way I am, and shouldn't worry about my weight at all. But I know that my eating habits are aweful, like really aweful. For example, today I have eaten a cheeseburger and then like a pint of ice cream... and drank soda. I was raised with these aweful eating habits, and I fear I am addicted quite literally to eating this way, but no one in my life sees this as a problem. I will decide to eat healthy one minute, and then somehow amazingly in the next minute,
I have convinced myself that potato chips are healthy? haha.

I want to get ahold of my weight, and more importantly of my health, but it's difficult because a) I am addicted and b) because no one will acknowledge that I have a real and worthy problem.

Basically what I am looking for on here is somewhat of a support group, if that makes any sense, and maybe some advice on what to do to break this junk food addiction from people who've done it. I've seen what amazing things people on this site have accoplished and I hope to join them someday.

~Tasha

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I have come to the conclusion that it is really a mind of matter, and YOU have to be ready to change. If you are truly ready, then do it for you. I gave up soda, Coke, on January 1st and did great for four months, then in April I started drinking it again. I am not proud of that but I gave it up again two weeks ago. I am ready for this.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. This is an AMAZING site and you will find support and motivation here! :flowerforyou:
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Three years ago, I was dealing with back pain every morning when I tried to get out of bed. Sometimes it hurt so bad that I would want to cry - this was my motivation. I was 230 pounds and I kept telling myself that I was going to lose weight (for years) but it was always something I put on the backburner. If you continue on the path of eating poorly, you may see your weight go up even more. I used to 130 in High School. When I hit 230, I realized that I had gained 100 pounds!!!! I didn't even want to go to my High School Reunion because I was embarressed of my weight. So, find the reason why you want to do it and do it. I know I am stronger when I don't feel alone. Find someone near you that can do it with you, maybe even work out with you. And of course, we are here for you. :flowerforyou: You are not alone in this battle.
  • Lyndo
    Lyndo Posts: 95
    Options
    You sound like me.... I'm also about 185 now, I've given up one day & the next i want to be the healhtiest person i can be, but it only last a day or 2, then back to binging until i cant even move i want to go to the emergency for eating way too much.... & not so much bad unhealthy food, just HUGE portion;'s... It is unhealthy, & we are addicted.... how to get out is another thing.. Everyone around me says how beautiful i am, but I AM NOT feeling the same thing...
    Hopefully you can get the will power i had, i lost it this summer & i'm trying to get it back...
    Wishing you the best:flowerforyou:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    You do look pretty good in your pic. How tall are you? That makes a difference as far as weight is concerned. If you are like 5' 8" then trying to get down 120lbs is totally unrealistic.

Instead of overwhelming yourself with trying to change your eating and losing weight all at once, I would just focus on changing your eating habits. One habit at a time. Do you eat breakfast? If not that is a really good one to start with. If you use/drink whole milk go down to 2%.

You save 25 calories, 3.2grams of fat per cup when you use 2% instead of whole.

Don't worry about your family or friends not thinking you need to eat better or lose weight. What matters is how you feel about yourself. Don't let anyone stop you from achieving your goals.

If you want more help on how to eat better, record what you eat onto your food diary and go to setting to make it public, that way others can see how you are doing and give you suggestions on how to improve.

HTH,
    Demetria
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    Lyndo,
    Yes, it definitely sounds like we are in the same boat. Being addicted to food is weird and difficult.. But I do plan on hopefully using this site for support and just as a way to keep binge eating in check. I wish you the same luck! :smile:
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    You do look pretty good in your pic. How tall are you? That makes a difference as far as weight is concerned. If you are like 5' 8" then trying to get down 120lbs is totally unrealistic.

Instead of overwhelming yourself with trying to change your eating and losing weight all at once, I would just focus on changing your eating habits. One habit at a time. Do you eat breakfast? If not that is a really good one to start with. If you use/drink whole milk go down to 2%.

You save 25 calories, 3.2grams of fat per cup when you use 2% instead of whole.

Don't worry about your family or friends not thinking you need to eat better or lose weight. What matters is how you feel about yourself. Don't let anyone stop you from achieving your goals.

If you want more help on how to eat better, record what you eat onto your food diary and go to setting to make it public, that way others can see how you are doing and give you suggestions on how to improve.

HTH,
    Demetria

Hey,
    I'm 5'7 so yeah. I used to eat breakfast all the time, it has gone out the window lately, but it is a habit I intend to get back.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know you could make the food journal public! That's so cool!

Tasha
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    Three years ago, I was dealing with back pain every morning when I tried to get out of bed. Sometimes it hurt so bad that I would want to cry - this was my motivation. I was 230 pounds and I kept telling myself that I was going to lose weight (for years) but it was always something I put on the backburner. If you continue on the path of eating poorly, you may see your weight go up even more. I used to 130 in High School. When I hit 230, I realized that I had gained 100 pounds!!!! I didn't even want to go to my High School Reunion because I was embarressed of my weight. So, find the reason why you want to do it and do it. I know I am stronger when I don't feel alone. Find someone near you that can do it with you, maybe even work out with you. And of course, we are here for you. :flowerforyou: You are not alone in this battle.

Thanks! and congratulations on your weightloss!
  • jashankel
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 43 and have had the same "addiction" my entire life. I understand completely what you mean. NOone in my family saw this type of eating as a problem, not even after they were diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure or other things that are definitely diet related diseases.

About a year ago I was told by my doc I have gotten my health in jeopardy as a result of this eating habit. I stopped cold turkey. I know this sounds crazy, but I had to do it that way. I literally cut out all refined sugars and grains, minimizing carbs until I could get control of myself. To help with this I made a strategy of eating every 2 hrs. I had a large glass of water first thing in the morning. Then ate breakfast- poached egg and turkey sausage- 2-2.5 hr later snack usually fresh blue berries- 3hr later lunch--large salad with grilled chicken and lowfat vinegrette--2hr later snack almonds--dinner no later than 6pm- something simple steamed veg, grilled chicken/fish/lean pork and salad. If I felt like I needed another snack in the evening it was always sugar free jello. I did not have any soda, not even diet soda. At first I would watch the clock and when the time passed, I ran to get my food. I thought if I didn't eat then I would starve. I quickly realized this type of dieting was not dieting at all, just keeping my body machine working efficiently. I did not feel hungry or deprived at all. I made a point to drink water with either lemon or lime wedges all day long.

After the first week I was able to figure out changes to this, introducing different food with the same calorie/fat/overall similar nutritional value as what I started with. I still follow this strategy. I have lost of total of 90 lb since that doctor's visit--and still losing. I now exercise several days a week (something I never considered at my original weight 270). I have run in several 5k races. In addition my grocery bill has decreased. I now allow myself some treats, on special occasions, I have found now that my digestive system doesn't know what to do with the processed foods and sugars. I am glad because I don't want to go back to that old person. I like the new improved version of me.

Oh and as to my family, they think I have starved myself. They just do not get that it is delicious to have grilled chicken that was marinated in a fresh ginger peach marinade, served with brown rice and a fresh salad tossed with peaches, low fat feta cheese, pecans and a low fat mango poppy seed dressing. They prefer meat and potatos. They won't change and I refuse to change back.

Good luck,
    JAS
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 43 and have had the same "addiction" my entire life. I understand completely what you mean. NOone in my family saw this type of eating as a problem, not even after they were diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure or other things that are definitely diet related diseases.

About a year ago I was told by my doc I have gotten my health in jeopardy as a result of this eating habit. I stopped cold turkey. I know this sounds crazy, but I had to do it that way. I literally cut out all refined sugars and grains, minimizing carbs until I could get control of myself. To help with this I made a strategy of eating every 2 hrs. I had a large glass of water first thing in the morning. Then ate breakfast- poached egg and turkey sausage- 2-2.5 hr later snack usually fresh blue berries- 3hr later lunch--large salad with grilled chicken and lowfat vinegrette--2hr later snack almonds--dinner no later than 6pm- something simple steamed veg, grilled chicken/fish/lean pork and salad. If I felt like I needed another snack in the evening it was always sugar free jello. I did not have any soda, not even diet soda. At first I would watch the clock and when the time passed, I ran to get my food. I thought if I didn't eat then I would starve. I quickly realized this type of dieting was not dieting at all, just keeping my body machine working efficiently. I did not feel hungry or deprived at all. I made a point to drink water with either lemon or lime wedges all day long.

After the first week I was able to figure out changes to this, introducing different food with the same calorie/fat/overall similar nutritional value as what I started with. I still follow this strategy. I have lost of total of 90 lb since that doctor's visit--and still losing. I now exercise several days a week (something I never considered at my original weight 270). I have run in several 5k races. In addition my grocery bill has decreased. I now allow myself some treats, on special occasions, I have found now that my digestive system doesn't know what to do with the processed foods and sugars. I am glad because I don't want to go back to that old person. I like the new improved version of me.

Oh and as to my family, they think I have starved myself. They just do not get that it is delicious to have grilled chicken that was marinated in a fresh ginger peach marinade, served with brown rice and a fresh salad tossed with peaches, low fat feta cheese, pecans and a low fat mango poppy seed dressing. They prefer meat and potatos. They won't change and I refuse to change back.

Good luck,
    JAS

Thanks your story is very inspiring! :happy: