potluck ideas

Options
keem88
keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
hey guys, my job is having a potluck for me this week (my last week at work) and i was wondering if anyone had some healthy food ideas? i do not have access to an oven at the "kitchen" area in my office, just a fridge and microwave.
i was thinking maybe a fruit salad b/c it is hot out and that could be refreshing, a lot of people usually bring desserts or some sort of meat like fried chicken, i was thinking maybe something of a main dish that is vegetarian that most people would like.
thanks!

Replies

• keem88
    Options
    bumpity bump, any suggestions?
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Veggie tray, dip using greek yogurt instead of sour cream? Crock pot of steamed California mix veggies, green beans? Turkey sloppy joes on thin buns?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The last potluck I went to, I brought a colorful black bean salad with a lime dressing. Black beans, tomato, onion, tri-color peppers, corn, avocado, etc.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Some things I can think of (not recipes so much as types of dishes). Veggies. Many potlucks I go to there are no veggies. Some kind of green salad, maybe with chicken or other protein. Quinoa salad, my SIL makes a yummy one with beans, corn and veggies. Fruit salad also sounds good. I also often make a pasta salad with tri color rotini, veggies like broc, snap peas, and carrots and dump some low cal italian on it and let it marinate over night. You can also throw in some provolone or mozz cheese and/or cubed salami. I always top it with fresh grated parm. Also good made with fresh tortellini.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    any kind of cold vegetable salad would be delightful.

check the recipe for "ginger garlic soy snap peas" or "... sugar peas"

i've made a nice cold quinoa salad with black lentils, red onions & any other kind of seasonal vegetable.

wild rice with almonds & asparagus (or fiddleheads might be nice if they're still in season)

anything with the holy garlic scape > garlic scape pesto or garlic scape hummus with vegetable sticks

spring rolls filled with cold noodles, basil, bean sprouts & a green (any leafy green will work: bok choi, lettuce, chard, maybe even collards!) served with some kind of sauce

strawberries & spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette

hard crackers with cucumber & dill cheese w/ cherry tomato & toothpick
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm lazy and buy a veggie or fruit platter from the grocery store. Other times, I make an Asian slaw:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/asian-style-slaw-recipe/index.html

1 bunch (6 large) scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
    2 (16-ounce) bags coleslaw mix or 1 (16-ounce) bag each of shredded green and shredded red cabbage
    1 small red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (from about a 1-inch piece)
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
    2 teaspoons sesame seeds, optional
    1 teaspoon salt
    20 grinds black pepper
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How about a quinoa Greek salad? Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the box and let it cool to room temp. Add feta cheese, diced tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, cucumber. Toss with olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper! Vegetarian, high in protein and can sit out at room temp!
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I usually take fruit plate with watermelon, strawberries, pineapple and grapes. Or rolled up lunch meats like ham and chicken with some cut up cheese and olives and pickles. Maybe deviled eggs. I like to make them with spinach and feta cheese.
  • keem88
    Options
    thanks guys these all sound good! i am going to go with one of the chilled salad ideas, b/c like mentioned, no one ever brings veggies or anything other than crap to these things. appreciate the input thank you guys!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Head of cabbage-chopped
    2 cups onion-chopped
    1 package lite kielbasa
    pierogies-I use Mrs' T's frozen, the small ones
    butter or margarine-Amount noted later.

Slice the kielbasa into coins and fry in non stick skillet, let it get some brown coloring. Then set aside.
    Toss the cabbage in large pot or large pan. Or an electric skillet
    Steam it. Add small amounts of water a little at a time. Water instead of butter :happy:
    When it really starts to wilt add the onions.
    Keep adding water as necessary to keep it from sticking.
    Stir often. Will start to get a brown coating, that is good.
    When the browning starts add as much margarine or butter that you are willing to use the calories on. I usually use 4 tablespoons of Parkay margarine OR 6 teaspoons of butter. Notice the word, or.
    Add the already cooked kielbasa.
    Add the box of thawed pierogies.
    Wont take long from there. Just keep stirring and letting it get some brown color to it.
    Always a hit and never anything left!
    Salt and pepper to taste.