To walk or not to walk??

Options
I work at an elementary school as an aide and office help. All summer long I swam and walked 2 to 3 miles every other day on my treadmill. Since school started back I have been exhausted after working 8 hours. I walk ALL over the school. So much so that I took my pedometer to work on Thursday and I logged 12,000 steps. Equivalent to over 5 miles. Do I still need to come home and walk 2 miles on the treadmill or can I just count that on exercise as time walked? I am really way to tired with my own kids to take care of in the evening. I still have 50 pounds to lose.

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I work at an elementary school as an aide and office help. All summer long I swam and walked 2 to 3 miles every other day on my treadmill. Since school started back I have been exhausted after working 8 hours. I walk ALL over the school. So much so that I took my pedometer to work on Thursday and I logged 12,000 steps. Equivalent to over 5 miles. Do I still need to come home and walk 2 miles on the treadmill or can I just count that on exercise as time walked? I am really way to tired with my own kids to take care of in the evening. I still have 50 pounds to lose.

I would still walk for exercise-- absolutely. You're getting exercise, yes, and burning calories-- but you're not getting cardio work and you're not getting the mental benefits of exercise-- de-stress and all that jazz--

Make time--
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree walk. It should only take you 10-20 if you do a mile or two every day. Add some intervals in and you'll shave a couple of minutes off of you time. Plus it's a great energy boost.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I agree, walk. When your walking around the school, granted you do log in a lot of miles over the course of a week, but it's doubtful that you're walking at a pace that would really get your heartrate up. Even if you were, I would imagine you make a lot of stops, so you never really get a good, even workout. Plus, I don't know much about pedometers and if they make super techi ones, but from what I know of them, they can be highly inaccurate. I tried one last year and compared it to the distance that google maps showed me and the pedometer was way off.

Can you take a walk on your lunch break? That's what I do, I love my walks. In just half an hour I can burn around 250 calories. I would imagine your work day is hectic and noisy and busy.....so popping in your Ipod and taking a relaxing refreshing walk in the fresh air would probably be a great way to get through the rest of your day.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    my personal trainer told me that your normal daily walking is not considered exercise. You need to go beyond the walking you do at the school. I guess maybe because it does not raise your heart rate for very long in the fat burn zone.

but thats what I was told.

I personally would walk

tammy
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm agreeing with everyone else. The walking you do during the day does not count as exercise.

Like amymeenieminymo said. Can you walk during lunch? I use to work as an aid and that's what I did. I would have a snack during my morning break, a small lunch like salad or yogurt & fruit. Then I'd have time for a good 15-20 min walk. Have another walk when you get home. 15-20 min isn't that long. You might even be surprised to find it energizes you for the rest of your evening.
  • kermiefan
    Options
    I think the pedometer idea is fantastic! :glasses: