Muscle vs. Fat

Options

Replies

• debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but its really irritating when someone posts about how irritating it is that muscle weighs more than fat.

Thank you for the PSA though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlSv4SUYWo

:smile:

^^^^ I second this. This must also be the most trolled thread topic EVER.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIWKmtGfz7ROEGFGQf6rfdj1LSFJ0dFnLc7y2whlCJAP9UCJhUdw
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    This is all BS. I was asked, just this morning, whether a pound of feathers weighed less than a pound of lead. I answered, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the pound of lead was heavier. Everyone knows this, and you'd be stupid to suggest otherwise. So, as muscle is denser--as is lead to feathers--than fat, one must deduce that, in fact, a pound of muscle weighs significantly more than a pound of fat...

I hope you posted this on purpose in the guise of sarcasm....Otherwise, I feel that our educational system is failing us!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    5 POUNDS of muscle is the same as 5 POUNDS of fat...it's just that muscle is less dense and takes up less room. How come people don't get that?

Actually, muscle is denser than fat. It's a fun fact that helps fat people like me float better in water.
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is all BS. I was asked, just this morning, whether a pound of feathers weighed less than a pound of lead. I answered, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the pound of lead was heavier. Everyone knows this, and you'd be stupid to suggest otherwise. So, as muscle is denser--as is lead to feathers--than fat, one must deduce that, in fact, a pound of muscle weighs significantly more than a pound of fat...

I hope you posted this on purpose in the guise of sarcasm....Otherwise, I feel that our educational system is failing us!

Apparently there are two different ways to view this - I guess you don't see that.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...BY VOLUME.

Truth. End story.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options

Tragically, I don't think you're being sarcastic...

A pound of feathers and a pound of lead both weigh a pound. Don't think to hard about it (please).

:|

^Thank you^
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    lmao, this topic is funny every time.
  • CaggyLeCaz
    Options
    Fifty dollars worth of gold costs the same as fifty dollars worth of manure, but no one says that cow poop is as valuable as gold.

If you're a farmer it's worth more (by volume). Ever tried fertilizing a crop with gold?

If you're a jeweller it's worth more (by value). Ever sold crap?

Ratner's have. Apparently. ;)

(you probably have to be a UKer to understand that one).

Truth. End story.

Ha ha. Sadly not!

Blimey and I thought I was a language pedant. This thread though. Hilarious!

I think - at least I hope - most people have the common sense to understand people say things a bit wrong sometimes, and the phrase "muscle weighs more than fat" pretty much universally gets interpreted as "if you body is flabby and you start working out and turn it to muscle, you might not lose actually weight, but you will be fitter and healthier".
    Because surely that's what actually matters.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    ok, I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time replying, but since someone has recently bumped an old thread like this that I have previously posted on and I can easily copy and paste my response from there, here goes...

If you think someone is wrong when they say that muscle weighs more than fat then you are an idiot.

If you need it to be specified that they are talking about a comparative volume then you are either intentionally misunderstanding or are too stupid and shouldn't be allowed to comment...

Would you also argue that steel isn't harder than rubber because it wasn't stated whether the steel was in solid or liquid state?
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ok, I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time replying, but since someone has recently bumped an old thread like this that I have previously posted on and I can easily copy and paste my response from there, here goes...

If you think someone is wrong when they say that muscle weighs more than fat then you are an idiot.

If you need it to be specified that they are talking about a comparative volume then you are either intentionally misunderstanding or are too stupid and shouldn't be allowed to comment...

Would you also argue that steel isn't harder than rubber because it wasn't stated whether the steel was in solid or liquid state?

"Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories."

Most people are not talking about volume from my experience.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

"Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories."

The only side that confusion seems to arise on is on the side of the people who like to condescend others and make themselves feel smarter.

And lead does weigh more than feathers. I make a fair assumption that you aren't tryin to assert that 1 is equal to anything other than 1. To assume you are would be to essentially cell you a moron.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Well, it is true that A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead, but remember that an ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of feathers.

Wait -- don't shoot before you Google troy ounce
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't say their fat is going to turn into muscle I give them the benifit of the doubt...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Fifty dollars worth of gold costs the same as fifty dollars worth of manure, but no one says that cow poop is as valuable as gold.

If you're a farmer it's worth more (by volume). Ever tried fertilizing a crop with gold?

You could buy an equal amount of manure with the same value in gold...so they remain...equal.

And Lorina...I still love you...seriously!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    1=1 and

1 pound of muscle is SMALLER than 1 pound of fat. still 1 pound.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Paging Azachary....

You SOOO bad.........:devil:
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    it's just that muscle is less dense and takes up less room.

Don't you mean muscle is MORE dense, thus takes up less room?

Get your facts straight before you decide to school someone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

And you would be wrong in relation to the comment being made on this site as most people are trying to get smaller as well as lose weight, so its a pretty fair assumption that they are talking about volume.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't say their fat is going to turn into muscle I give them the benifit of the doubt...

haha yep.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Because it's quicker than saying muscle weighs the same as fat but takes up 2/3 the space that fat does lol. My new mantra is "muscle burns fat" because the more muscle you pack on the body, the faster your metabolism becomes. I'm proof!!