Anti-Inflammatory Diet

Options
mandeiko
mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
My boyfriend was hit by a car and has been having severe back pain for the past 3 months due to a fracture and scoliosis. His doctor recommended an anti-inflammatory diet to reduce swelling and pain. So I'm asking if anyone has any advice or great recipes I can try with him. Also, I should note... he hates bananas and avocados, so that leaves out a lot of great green smoothies. Haha. I know, I know... who hates bananas!?

Anyways, thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't know about putting together an entire anti-inflammatory diet, but I know that green tea helps me a lot, as does cucumber-lemon-ginger water. Basically putting water in a pitcher with chunks of fresh ginger and cucumber and lemon. Drinking a ton of that always helps me with inflammation. (I had some sprained ribs so there was some inflammation I had to deal with, though nothing quite as severe as a car accident!)

Good luck with healing!!
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am not knowledgeable in the are but this might help:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/help/inflammation

Check the links at the bottom on the last section, there's a link to a site and to a book.

This site (Nutritiondata) also gives you inflammatory ratings for so many foods...like for example check this out:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4258/2

Check on the right of 'Nutrition Facts' there's the inflammatory factor.

Good luck, I wish you get better and that this info helps :), have a nice day.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Higher fat and protein.....carbs from natural sources (vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds).

Grains can be highly inflammatory, especially when the body needs to heal.

And lots of water as the other poster recommended.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Also, night shades can be inflammatory too
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! (PS: It's not for me... it's for my boyfriend!)