NEW Member - calorie intake/exercise question

I literally just joined today, and while i an very understanding about my calories im taking in.. i know what i need per day, and i do that.. i have just recently added exercise, and im confused on something.

If my calories for the day are 1200 and i eat 1200 calories... then i exercise and burn 400 calories... Do i have to eat that 400 calories again? Im just scared that im not eating enough? As that has been a problem for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    No, you don't have to eat them again, unless you want to stay at your current weight. You are on the path to weight loss.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Thank you! I thought that was correct, but then i worried about eating 1100 instead of the 1200 and burning 400... ive struggled for 8 years and after all this time, i find out im not eating enough!! Thank you so much for answering what must have seemed like a silly question! =)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I literally just joined today, and while i an very understanding about my calories im taking in.. i know what i need per day, and i do that.. i have just recently added exercise, and im confused on something.

If my calories for the day are 1200 and i eat 1200 calories... then i exercise and burn 400 calories... Do i have to eat that 400 calories again? Im just scared that im not eating enough? As that has been a problem for me.

Thanks!

You have the right idea. The 1200 already has a deficit from what you would maintain weight at, with no exercise included.
    When you add exercise, you add the food, and the keeps that same deficit.

And if that has been a problem, just think about fact there that if you ate 1200, and your exercise took 400 off the top, what exactly is the body left with to work with.

Keep a healthy deficit, eat your workout calories back, that is exactly why your goal is called Net daily goal, you are given credit for exercise, and your daily goal goes up after logging exercise.
  • Heather_Rider
    Thanks, Oishii! Im trying to read it all, while trying to stay off the computer so much to get more movement! LOL =) I truly appreciate the link!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    No, you don't have to eat them again, unless you want to stay at your current weight. You are on the path to weight loss.

You really don't understand how this works do you. Keep your current weight if you eat them back?
    Did you set your goal to Maintain current weight actually?

Check out your Goals page if you don't understand, which you don't, before helping others to be confused.
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    My understanding is you need to eat at least your "BMR" calories. So if your BMR is, for example 1400 calories (figure it out under the TOOLS tab), then you want your "net" calories to be 1400. Go to the "Eat More to Weigh Less" GROUP here on MFP for wonderful ideas, lots of links & healthy tips.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    It doesn't have to do with staying at your current weight. It has to do with staying on track for the rate of weight loss planned.

If you plan for 1lb per week, it's a 500 calorie per day deficit. If you exercise 500 calories a day in addition to your deficit, that'll give you a 1000 calorie per day deficit, and you'll lose 2lbs per week. If you want to stay at the slower pace, then eat back the calories.

It's generally not considered healthy to lose more than 2lbs per week, and that's why you would eat back the calories, to stay in the healthy weight loss range.
  • Heather_Rider
    heybales,

are you saying i should eat the calories back? AHH see, this is where i get confused! Maybe i dont quite understand the deficit?
  • I am on the 1200 calorie diet. I try not eat back my exercise calories and seem to do better.
  • Heather_Rider
    Okay! that makes more sense... i do want to try to lose 2 pounds a week, so i do not want to eat those calories back... however, thats good to know that if i DO say "have a bad day" i can play with those calories and eat them back, and still lose one pound a week.. Correct? Oh please tell me i finally get this? LOL! =)
  • Heather_Rider
    Thanks, Rebecca! I guess as long as i dont go over, im good! lol I may try both and see what works best for me! Thanks! and thank you to everyone!

I have no friends yet, if any of you would like to add me! (i still dont know how to add yet! lol)
  • Heather_Rider
    thanks so much, kmm!
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Yes, you should eat back your calories if you exercise...the setting you chose for your weight loss already includes the plan for LOSING weight. If you're set to lose weight at 1200 calories and then you exercise 300, you are actually allowed to eat 1500 for that day and STILL be on a weight-loss plan. If you don't eat them back, you will be consuming too little calories and your body can hold onto the fat because it thinks you are starving it. If you don't exercise that day, then you only eat 1200 calories (or whatever your setting is based on how active you are, age, etc.).
  • Heather_Rider
    Well, im still confused. LOL!

From what i am gathering... i can officially eat 1200 a day... and i MUST eat that. (before any exercise)

If i exercise and burn 500 calories, i HAVE to eat those 500 calories back?

seriously, can one eat that much food in a day.. and lose weight??

The last doctors visit i had, he told me in order to lose weight, i MUST not consume more than 1000 calories a day.

So I guess my main question is, for strictly losing weight... as long as my NET calories are 1000, will i still lose weight? or will i not have enough calories to lose?

Maybe i should give up already! I just dont understand!!! =*(
  • manda_c_182
    manda_c_182 Posts: 14 Member
    You need to stay in a range, don't stress about hitting an exact number each day. Too little and your body will go into starvation mode and store fat, too much and you will store fat. Generally on this site I think they say you need 1200 to stay above starvation mode, and less than 2000 to not gain weight. So MFP should set you about 1500 to lose weight. (This are my figures, yours might be different depending on age and height). Therefore you can chose to eat your exercise calories back, or not, just as long as your net is between 1200-1500 a day.
    Does this help?
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Don't give up....if you just started, you'll need a week or two to know what works for you....just be sure to log everything and adjust accordingly. Everyone's body is different and what works for one doesn't work for another. Just keep at it, get a minimum of at least 1000 calories a day and go from there. You'll find what works for you, but just don't starve yourself. Hang in there, we're all here to help!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Well, im still confused. LOL!

From what i am gathering... i can officially eat 1200 a day... and i MUST eat that. (before any exercise)

If i exercise and burn 500 calories, i HAVE to eat those 500 calories back?

seriously, can one eat that much food in a day.. and lose weight??

The last doctors visit i had, he told me in order to lose weight, i MUST not consume more than 1000 calories a day.

So I guess my main question is, for strictly losing weight... as long as my NET calories are 1000, will i still lose weight? or will i not have enough calories to lose?

Maybe i should give up already! I just dont understand!!! =*(

You don't HAVE TO eat your exercise calories back. If MFP has you at 1200, that means it's telling you "no, you can't lose 2 lbs/week", which is ridiculous. I would eat 1200 (or take your doctor's advice and eat 1000) and not eat them back, unless you feel like you have to because you're too hungry.

It's not true that you gained weight by not eating enough previously. It's not true that you have to eat above your BMR. If you're uncomfortable at 1000 or 1200 or 1400, by all means eat more. The only thing that matters to weight loss is the size of your deficit.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    My understanding is you need to eat at least your "BMR" calories. So if your BMR is, for example 1400 calories (figure it out under the TOOLS tab), then you want your "net" calories to be 1400. Go to the "Eat More to Weigh Less" GROUP here on MFP for wonderful ideas, lots of links & healthy tips.

this.

my bmr is 1400. i net around 1500. i eat around 1800-1900 cals/day, and yes, i am losing. you dont need to starve yourself to lose!! id aim at atleast your BMR NET!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Log your exercise on MFP and it will tell you how many calories you "earned" and add that to your daily allowance, which still has your weight loss goal in mind so eat them b/c eating TOO LITTLE calories will hinder your weight loss just as badly, if not more, than eating TOO MANY calories...