???protein shakes/smoothies???

Options
:drinker: what is the best protein powder that's low cal for shakes &/or smoothies?

Replies

• whendee05
    Options
    :drinker: what is the best protein powder that's low cal for shakes &/or smoothies?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a soy smoothie for breakfast
    1 cup plain soy yogurt
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1 tablespoon flax-milled
    1.5 cup of fruit.
    Blend.
  • paulam
    paulam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My friend who lost 125 lbs on weight watchers and working out discovered "Jay Robb" whey protein powder. It's awesome! The vanilla smells and tastes like cake batter. I mix it with frozen fruit, fat free yogurt, skim milk and crushed ice and it's like an ice ice creme shake! yummy. Comes in several flavors and I think GNC or Vitamin shop carries it as well as the "Jay Robb" web-site. Try it.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For complete chain of animo acids (complete protein), try a whey protien not a veggie based protein like soy. If you're lactose intolerant or a vegan, then go for the soy. FDA does not test or regulate supplements such as protein powder or drinks, so there is no proof of which brand is better or worse by the FDA, so I would stick with the national brands such as Designer Protein, EAS, Herbalife or some other well known brand which have been tested and compared by the supplement industry itself.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I make one with a little oj(1/4 c), 1/2 C cottage cheese and blend it (I can't stand the chunks). Add 1 carton of yogurt and some ice.

It's about 200 cal, .5 g fat, 28 g carbs, 19 g protein
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I have been drinking a soy smoothie for breakfast
    1 cup plain soy yogurt
    1 cup vanilla soy milk
    1 tablespoon flax-milled
    1.5 cup of fruit.
    Blend.

I hear a lot of people using soy yogurt and soy milk, is it lower in fat and cals? Is that the reason for using it? Just curious.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of preference and not necessarily health when it comes to soy or milk, both have their pros and cons. Soy is used in asian countries as a side or condiment, we tend to go a bit overboard in the west with "healthy" foods. You should do some research on the side effects of soy for you and your family before you decide to go all out and start grazing on soy. Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I have done that and find that I prefer dairy to soy for many reasons but mainly....taste.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I want to get some healthy protein shakes but I don't want to bulk up. My only vision of protein shakes in my head is bodybuilders.... So are the shakes still a good option if I don't want to be muscular?
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    hey trl thanks for the 5k workout gonna try this as soon as its warm enough, as far as protein shakes i drink body fortress whey protein, its about 14.00 at walmart. i drink it with just water basically for calories and protein. im doing the p90x nutritin plan and i have to have the right amount of calories and protein so i use this when i dont get enough of those in food.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    no problem tracy. good luck with it.
    a friend of mine has the whole p90 set and i have the first dvd.......somewhere :blushing:
    i keep telling myself i'm gonna start. i think the best thing for me to do is just get my own set so i can go at my pace instead of waiting for her to give me her leftovers.
  • tracy24
    Options
    yeah i did p90 last year and had great results with it lost 30lbs and 3 jean sizes, im starting p90x on sunday its alittle more intense, beachbody has some great products.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    i checked out beachbody a little over the summer. right now with my husband laid off, im ashamed (sorta) to say that i'd rather find a bootleg copy of something on the net, than shell out any $$ for it.
  • tracy24
    Options
    yeah alot of people getn laid off around here too, sucks, but if you have the first disc thats a start, i did the first disc of p90 for 45 days, then the second part for the last 45 days. so go push play!! :happy: