All-Pro Strength

Options
I'm on my second 5 week round of All-Pro strength routine and I've enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to see if anyone else has used this routine and how it worked for them? I can say that in the last 3 weeks I didn't lose to much weight, but I've lost over 8+ inches over my entire body, not counting my arms that actually increased a bit.

Replies

• shodaimetruth
    Options
    So no one try this exercise? that sucks. someone should try it so they can discuss with me their challanges. YES!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second 5 week round of All-Pro strength routine and I've enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to see if anyone else has used this routine and how it worked for them? I can say that in the last 3 weeks I didn't lose to much weight, but I've lost over 8+ inches over my entire body, not counting my arms that actually increased a bit.

What are your goals?
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I don't have any strength goals. I'm using this weight training program to help me develope some strength and help with my fat loss and definition. My overall weight goals would be to try and be near 15% bf or less.

I never really had a proper understanding of weightlifting and all that goes in to it. So far this one has helped me get started on uderstanding the importance of progressing and tracking my workouts.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I don't have any strength goals. I'm using this weight training program to help me develope some strength and help with my fat loss and definition. My overall weight goals would be to try and be near 15% bf or less.

I never really had a proper understanding of weightlifting and all that goes in to it. So far this one has helped me get started on uderstanding the importance of progressing and tracking my workouts.

Gotcha. That's not a bad start but I'd say there are better methods. Maybe do that way and then grab an eCopy of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe, or StrongLifts 5x5.

5/3/1 is actually pretty interesting because it really helps you focus on building some solid strength but the accessory work can really help you put on some size (5set of 10 is no joke) givin' that your diet is good. At a minimum if will help you improve your overall strength and body composition with a proper diet.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    Ok cool...thanks for the info man. Before i finish this round of the all pro, I'll start looking in to the other ones you mentioned and do start trying to get familiar with the exercises and the routines. Once again, thanks for the help on the other routines.
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Gotcha. That's not a bad start but I'd say there are better methods. Maybe do that way and then grab an eCopy of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe, or StrongLifts 5x5.

5/3/1 is actually pretty interesting because it really helps you focus on building some solid strength but the accessory work can really help you put on some size (5set of 10 is no joke) givin' that your diet is good. At a minimum if will help you improve your overall strength and body composition with a proper diet.

THIS. This. this.

Jnick is right. Pick a solid strength training program and get into the logic behind it. Understand what the author is saying and commit to 12-16 weeks of the program before you even think of switching things once you begin.

I use Wendler 5/3/1 for last several months to rebound from bodybuilding contest season.

Recent Max's (within last 2 months)

ATG Squat - 435
    Conventional Deadlift - 555
    Bench - 345
    Strict OH Press - 235
    Hang Clean - 275
    Front Squat - 315

And as Jnick said - The volume assistance work is brutal. If you hit 5x10 with 60% of your max, you're gonna get some serious strength/mass and a surprising amount of conditioning if the rest intervals are 60-90s
  • JNick77
    Options

THIS. This. this.

Jnick is right. Pick a solid strength training program and get into the logic behind it. Understand what the author is saying and commit to 12-16 weeks of the program before you even think of switching things once you begin.

I use Wendler 5/3/1 for last several months to rebound from bodybuilding contest season.

Recent Max's (within last 2 months)

ATG Squat - 435
    Conventional Deadlift - 555
    Bench - 345
    Strict OH Press - 235
    Hang Clean - 275
    Front Squat - 315

And as Jnick said - The volume assistance work is brutal. If you hit 5x10 with 60% of your max, you're gonna get some serious strength/mass and a surprising amount of conditioning if the rest intervals are 60-90s

Aside from your physique which is awesome, you seriously have a 275lb Hang Clean?? ****!!! And by that I mean nice job. LOL
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I just looked at the Wendler 5/3/1 and i'm thankful that I started on All-Pro. It's a lot easier to understand at first glance. I"m going to have to really look to understand the different routines within the workout. However, I think I have a decent understanding. I thought it was more about doing all the owrkout on the same day and not indvidual days. Comparing the two All Pro and Wendler, which has the better hypertrophy. Right now that is my main focus with the weights.

Overall I want to have physical functionality and body definition. I'm still at the very early educated level of physical fitness and dieting. My question right now would be, which one, if there is one, is better handled on a caloric deficit. Or does it not matter?
  • JNick77
    Options
    I just looked at the Wendler 5/3/1 and i'm thankful that I started on All-Pro. It's a lot easier to understand at first glance. I"m going to have to really look to understand the different routines within the workout. However, I think I have a decent understanding. I thought it was more about doing all the owrkout on the same day and not indvidual days. Comparing the two All Pro and Wendler, which has the better hypertrophy. Right now that is my main focus with the weights.

Overall I want to have physical functionality and body definition. I'm still at the very early educated level of physical fitness and dieting. My question right now would be, which one, if there is one, is better handled on a caloric deficit. Or does it not matter?

Typically something like 5/3/1 would help save more strength in a deficit situation.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 is an intermediate routine. All-Pro's is a beginner routine. The OP sounds like a beginner. I'd recommend sticking with the beginner routine personally.

Besides, one of the comments says to pick a routine and stick with it for 12-16 weeks before changing it, yet you're recommending he get off a respected beginner routine only a month into it.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    yeah tomorrow will be the start of my 7th week on the program. It's amazing by the way. I have every intention of trying to go three cycles before moving on to anything else. I want to at least have 45s on each side with my deadlifts before I move to anything else, just 10 more pounds and I'm there. One thing that has me a bit worried with the major lifts is the fact that my cardio has been struggling. I'm doing boxing and I've noticed that on the 4/5th week of the program I can't maintain my efforts as much when boxing in between the weight days.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well good work, keep it up. Make sure to compliment the boxing, you're getting even more protein.
  • JNick77
    Options
    5/3/1 is an intermediate routine. All-Pro's is a beginner routine. The OP sounds like a beginner. I'd recommend sticking with the beginner routine personally.

Besides, one of the comments says to pick a routine and stick with it for 12-16 weeks before changing it, yet you're recommending he get off a respected beginner routine only a month into it.

The whole "beginner" routine is kind of a misnomer. The more and more reading I do on training methods really leads me to believe that a beginner is just as well off starting a better more advanced method in the long run than starting with a beginner program. Now I will say that starting with some basic strength building for a couple weeks prior to getting into any "bigger" training is important for just getting some base strength as to help avoid injury. But once that's established I would seriously just recommend jumping into a better strength training method.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think All-Pro's is a great program, as are the ones mentioned by Jnick. If you've already started the program, you are getting results (making gym progress) and you've got a clear plan on how to progressively add weight using that program then I would just stick to it for a while.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChrisFitPro
    Options

I never told him to switch. I told him to get the ebook, study, get into the philosophy... I ended with "don't switch once you begin"...once you begin.

I know programming. I don't even know this guy's functional movement/ limitations are - so let's not even go there. He might actually benefit from yoga more than anything. If you can't move right, you won't grow right. Right?

Right
  • ChrisFitPro
    Options
    you seriously have a 275lb Hang Clean?? ****!!! And by that I mean nice job. LOL

Haha yeah! It definitely is the riskiest move in my training book since it's so aggressive. Apart from making you into an over yak-beast-freak, the clean thickens the arms and upper back muscles better than anything else, IMO.

Thanks for the nod! I hope to set some serious PR's in the months to come as this is my strength season. Tuesday night I hit 365x6. 405x2 next week! New pr in 2 weeks? Deload is looming though lol.

EDIT - 365 BACKSQUAT not hangclean - haha