Just found out I have diabetes.

Options

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can eliminate diabetes-- my father did it.

Although losing weight helps reduce symptoms and complications, it does not cure either form of diabetes.

^^^THIS. Diabetes is forever. BUT you can control it.
  • ndhawan81
    ndhawan81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It will make you feel better in the long run. I need to lose weight too. Let's do it together.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am Type 2 as well. Diagnosed about a week beforeT I was supposed to move away from my family to a new place where I knew no one. I am on a controlled medication regimen (pill-form) and it is completely manageable. I can still eat, but it's about portion control. Instead of eating that huge baked potato, eat half and take the other half home. I only eat one roll when out to dinner, instead of a whole basket. If I make sandwiches, I will use the slimwiches, or I will just put the innards of the sandwich on the plate (lunchmeat and a few slices of cheese). You can do this! I cried when I first found out because I just didn't know what to do or how to handle the news. Then I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and to kick my butt into gear and to be able to manage or even overcome my diabetes. Type 2 is reversible with proper diet and exercise.

I wish you the best of luck! You can get through this, I promise!
  • zlatkovwechanged
    Options
    Hi,

You can eat everything. But you have to consult your endocrinologist first. Most probably he/she will suggest more meals with less glycemic load, more walk/exercise since this generally helps. Being fit and loosing weight will help you lowering your blood sugar. As you can see, there are only few not so hard steps needed to be taken to make better control. Of course you need to stay informed, to know everything about the food you eat, so MFP is a good place for you.
  • AmyfromBama
    AmyfromBama Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oh No! I'm so sorry to hear that!!!!
  • Less0Beth
    Less0Beth Posts: 16
    Options
    First off, sorry to hear of the diabetes diagnosis. Second, losing weight will assist in helping you get the diabetes under control, but will not eradicate the disease. You have gotten some excellent advice here. Go with it. It will be a lifestyle change for sure, but a lifestyle change is always better than a diet. You have many friends here who would be willing to help--just ask. Keep you chin up....you can get the weight off as well as manage your eating to enjoy a healthier/happier quality of life.
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes. And honestly, it SUCKED for about the first week. I would cry when I got hungry b/c I didn't know what I could eat. BUT!!!! It got better!
    You will be a better person from this. Don;t dwell on the negative.

Everything will be ok!

Jodi
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear. My son is type 1, diagnosed when he was 4 years old, so I have a lot of experience managing it.

I advised a friend with Type 2 for a few *hours* and he got his a1c down from 10 to below 6. There is a lot of bad education about how to manage it, and it's all self-managed.

#1 misconception... it ain't about sugar, it's about CARBS. The are a million things that can raise your blood sugar, but eating carbs is the *biggest* one that you can control.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Losing weight can eliminate diabetes-- my father did it.

Although losing weight helps reduce symptoms and complications, it does not cure either form of diabetes.

^^^THIS. Diabetes is forever. BUT you can control it.

Ditto. It's doc that says I'm a diet/exercise controlled diabetic. He indicates I'm still diabetic, I just don't have any symptoms. I'm not "cured" per say. If I slip up in my diet/exercise, I will exhibit symptoms again.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It's doc that says I'm a diet/exercise controlled diabetic. He indicates I'm still diabetic, I just don't have any symptoms. I'm not "cured" per say. If I slip up in my diet/exercise, I will exhibit symptoms again.

This is very correct. Some thin people unfortunately get type 2 diabetes. It correlates with strongly weight, and the symptoms can go away if you control it well. But you still have it, it's just in remission.
  • theaimster30
    theaimster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This is the beginning of your journey to health. I know you're going to lose weight & get healthy. Before too long, you're going to post on here about how you were diagnosed with DM2 and decided to make lifestyle changes. I look forward to your before/after pics, as well as your success story. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I remember when I got the diagnosis it really hit me. I went to the diabetes education programs at the hospital and tried to lose the weight and get my diabetes under control. When I came to the conclusion that the intake of calories and the burning of calories is a good lifestyle change. I have always worked out in the mornings but never made progress with my weight going up and down.

MFP has been a true life saver for me as I have lost over 37 pounds and it has given me the better understanding of what I eat and how much to consume. This simple diary online and on my phone has given me the structure to understand my routines and improve my overall health. In the last blood test my A1C was 5.4 and my endocrinologist suggested if I keep it up I could be off of diabetes medication soon. She actually told me I am no longer a diabetic but I tell myself I am so I never forget what could happen if I don't care about what I eat and exercise. You are in the right place with MFP. There is a diabetes support group you can find in the message boards. Good luck and feel free to friend me as we all need support in this journey.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, Type 2, back in January. Doctor told me that unless I did something about it I would be re-diagnosed as full blown diabetic in a couple of months, at least that was his guess at the time.... It will be 6 months on 7/10 and I am now diagnosed as normal and even better we have started to take away some of my blood pressure meds. This is totally controllable and in most cases reversable through exercise and diet. I eat almost zero packaged food at this point, jut fresh vegetables and fruits, lean meats, and grains. I am freezing my own fruits now that they are in season so as not to pay as much later in the year (for smoothies frozen works as well as fresh in my opinion). You can beat this if you want to. Best of luck to you!
  • jennieh79
    jennieh79 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hiya,hope you are okay,

I have recently been diagnosed aswell,type 2.I am taking Metformin to help control blood sugars and need to have regular blood tests.
    I'm not sure on what I should and shouldn't be eating and like you spend ages checking out food labels!

Feel free to add me if you want to chat or discuss diets or recipes

Jennie
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear but you can live a long complete and productive life. Managing diabetes will become important to your quality of life but it's not a death sentence. :flowerforyou: Research online, ask your doctor about educational meetings or support groups and follow guidelines. Take medication if prescribed, as prescribed. You will be fine!
  • misfit34
    misfit34 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is going to be hard for me to figure out what I can and can't eat. I spent almost 2 hours @ grocery store reading lables.
    I am very sad.........

I have type 2 diabetes. I have struggled with it for about 10 years, granted I did have a baby in between those 10 years. I have gradually lost over 60 pounds in the last 4 years through diet and the help of diabetes medication. My doctor tells me that I am capable of getting off my all medications if I lose these last 60lbs. So that's what I plan to do. So, don't be sad...be determined. Make gradual changes to your diet, and you will see changes start to happen for you.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! My mother is a diabetic, and has been for years. She seems to keep hers under excellent control. Good luck to you!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It is going to be hard for me to figure out what I can and can't eat. I spent almost 2 hours @ grocery store reading lables.
    I am very sad.........

Coming from someone that was in your shoes 9 years ago....................ditch anything that has a label and eat meats, fats, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds. Stay away from the gluten containing grains.

Get some exercise and plenty of sleep.

YOU can live a long and healthy life medication free and can even reverse T2 Diabetes, BUT you have to drastically change your way of eating and living.

You are the only one that can make that choice.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 5 years. Like the others have said, it takes time to learn. MFP will be a huge help for you. Log your food, pay attention to which foods are high in carbs and which are not. Check your blood often. Don't beat yourself up when you are high - just take it as information. The more information you have, the better decisions you can make.

You will go through a mourning period, probably several of them, where you are angry. It's NOT fair. But diabetes is very manageable, and if you take care of yourself you will be healthier in the long run.

This is a great site that helped me when I was first diagnosed.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Best of luck to you.