How do increase calories burned during cardio

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
I see some people here logging upwards of 800 in calories burned per hour and some 400. Why is there such a large difference? What can you do to increase calories burned?

Replies

• ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm not sure how to increase it...but I do want to point out many people don't accurately keep track of actual calories burned. I've seen the automatic ones giving by MFP be way off whether too many calories burned or too little...and some weight loss machines can even be way off on telling you you've burned a lot more than you have. The best way to determine is by having your own Heart Rate Monitor...800 per hour does seem a bit extreme but it could just be an extreme cardio session
  • onikonor
    Options
    I'm in the process of getting one, for now i'm just going with general circuit training.

Some of my MFP friends that are doing the same program and using HRM calories burned seem to vary quite a bit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As you get in better shape you can work your body harder for longer at the same or lower perceived effort. This equates to a higher calorie burn.

At 175 lbs, 800 calories in an hour is a moderate run of a little under 7 miles.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    some people have a hrm some just use MFP estimates for calories burned which are very high in my case. All depends on how hard people push themselves and how high they keep there heart rate while doing cardio. if I run for 30 mins and my heart rate is at 160 I may burn 500 calories but if i jog slow and stay around 140 I may only burn 300 calories, hopes this helps a lil
  • onikonor
    Options
    As you get in better shape you can work your body harder for longer at the same or lower perceived effort. This equates to a higher calorie burn.

At 175 lbs, 800 calories in an hour is a moderate run of a little under 7 miles.

So the more fit you are the more you burn? I thought it was the other way around the heavier you are the more you burn and the more fit you are the more you need to work for the same burn.
  • onikonor
    Options
    I did about 30 minutes of pure cardio I think my heart rate was about 180 and resting is 90 (manually taken) does 350 calories burned make sense?
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

So the more fit you are the more you burn? I thought it was the other way around the heavier you are the more you burn and the more fit you are the more you need to work for the same burn.

The higher your heart rate is during a workout the more calories you will burn, weight has nothing to do with how fast you can burn calories
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    I did about 30 minutes of pure cardio I think my heart rate was about 180 and resting is 90 (manually taken) does 350 calories burned make sense?

the best way to get a accurate reading is to wear a HRM, you can put your height, weight, age, and sex in it and it will give you a more accurate reading on how many calories you burn
  • onikonor
    Options
    the best way to get a accurate reading is to wear a HRM, you can put your height, weight, age, and sex in it and it will give you a more accurate reading on how many calories you burn

It will be another couple of weeks before I get the one I ordered in the mail. For the time being I don't want to eat back too many calories lol

I guess it makes sense then, the more fit you are the longer you can maintain peak heart rate and the more you burn.

PS Pantera rocks!
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    well once you get one here is a great link I keep saved to keep track of my target heart rate

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jfa002/view/finding-an-accurate-thr-275069
  • onikonor
    Options
    Great! Thanks.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

You will burn less as you lose weight. However, that is offset by being able to work harder for longer. As you get in shape the amount of work your body can do will increase greatly at the same or less perceived effort level.

When I first started last year 3 miles in 36 minutes felt much harder than 7 miles in 60 minutes feels now. But even though the workload feels easier, I am burning many more calories, even accounting for a 35 lb weight loss.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You burn more calories the faster and more intense you go.

And 350 seems about right if thats including your BMR. Which would be -60 calories aprox. So 290 burned from exercise. For 188 heartrate for average guys it was metabolic chamber tested at 430 calories for 45min not including BMR.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

And 350 seems about right if thats including your BMR. Which would be -60 calories aprox. So 290 burned from exercise. For 188 heartrate for average guys it was metabolic chamber tested at 430 calories for 45min not including BMR.

talk about confusing people lol
  • onikonor
    Options

No the 350 is on top of BMR since my BMR is already in my goals.
    I'm guessing you are referring to net calories burned vs gross calories burned.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

That sounds about right if your HR was that high.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Thanks everyone, the suggestions were very helpful.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The higher your heart rate is during a workout the more calories you will burn, weight has nothing to do with how fast you can burn calories

I would love to read a study that establishes the link between heart rate and calories burned. Do you know of one that you could point me to? I don't believe that there is any sort of causal relationship between the two, but only a sort of secondary correlation. In other words, if I do something that causes me to burn more calories than usual, it will probably also cause my heart rate to rise, and someone has figured out a formula based on my stats and averages to estimate what that burn is, but there really isn't a direct connection, right?

A lot of people on here report that the MFP calculations are way high compared to their HRMs. I see just the opposite with mine. For instance, I ran 9.5 miles on trails yesterday. My HRM reported just about 2000 calories burned in 102 minutes, or 1200 an hour. The MFP calculator says around 1300 for that workout, or 800 or so per hour, which is a little more believable. Because the course was so rough, I might have burned more than that, but I don't really believe 2000. That number is skewed high because my heart was in the "red zone" for that whole run. When my fitness improves, my heart won't have to work hard for that run. Assuming that I'm the same weight, I'll burn the same number of calories, but the HRM will give a lower number because it will be an easier workout.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question:

You have to do more during that hour. If you ran 7 or 8 miles in an hour, you'd probably burn at least 800.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options

I would love to read a study that establishes the link between heart rate and calories burned. Do you know of one that you could point me to? I don't believe that there is any sort of causal relationship between the two, but only a sort of secondary correlation. In other words, if I do something that causes me to burn more calories than usual, it will probably also cause my heart rate to rise, and someone has figured out a formula based on my stats and averages to estimate what that burn is, but there really isn't a direct connection, right?

A lot of people on here report that the MFP calculations are way high compared to their HRMs. I see just the opposite with mine. For instance, I ran 9.5 miles on trails yesterday. My HRM reported just about 2000 calories burned in 102 minutes, or 1200 an hour. The MFP calculator says around 1300 for that workout, or 800 or so per hour, which is a little more believable. Because the course was so rough, I might have burned more than that, but I don't really believe 2000. That number is skewed high because my heart was in the "red zone" for that whole run. When my fitness improves, my heart won't have to work hard for that run. Assuming that I'm the same weight, I'll burn the same number of calories, but the HRM will give a lower number because it will be an easier workout.

I have to agree HR is a by product of how hard you work not how many cals you burn. When I was 290lbs it took more cals to go four miles in an hour. With weight loss I now have to go a longer distance to to burn the same amount of cals. . The calories are related to moving the mass across the distance not how fast your heart beats.
    If yo need to increase your calories burned from walking or running a distance carry some weight in a back pack.