S L O W losers come here! Please!

Options

Replies

• aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I noticed from your diary that your fiber intake is really, really low. Maybe try adding more veggies to your meals? Try to add them to all your meals and not just a salad. Colored peppers are really yummy steamed in the microwave for a couple of minutes. And carrots shredded with a potato peeper taste delicious in egg white omlets made in the microwave. Fresh spinach is good in omelets also.

I'm no success story. In fact I just started over recently after losing a whopping 13 lbs in 9 months (I did go down 2 sizes since getting serious about exercising) but like you, since i quit smoking in June 2010, I cannot seem to lose any substantial amount of weight.

I keep trying, that's all I can do!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I noticed from your diary that your fiber intake is really, really low. Maybe try adding more veggies to your meals? Try to add them to all your meals and not just a salad. Colored peppers are really yummy steamed in the microwave for a couple of minutes. And carrots shredded with a potato peeper taste delicious in egg white omlets made in the microwave. Fresh spinach is good in omelets also.

I'm no success story. In fact I just started over recently after losing a whopping 13 lbs in 9 months (I did go down 2 sizes since getting serious about exercising) but like you, since i quit smoking in June 2010, I cannot seem to lose any substantial amount of weight.

I keep trying, that's all I can do!

Thanks! You are right about the fiber. I slacked on the flaxseed lately and the 100 carbs thing makes it difficult.
  • socmediajunkie
    socmediajunkie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you making up the calorie deficit that you lose from exercising? I was having the same problem last year when I was attempting to lose 40 pounds and my trainer at the time told me to make sure that I make up the calories burned in order to maintain my daily minimum. For instance, if your daily allowance is 1200 calories and you meet this goal plus you burn 500 calories for that day, you should make up the 500 calories burned so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism and storing fat.

1200-500 = 700 vs. 1200-500+500 = 1200

Once I made this adjustment to my routine, I lost 20 pounds. As with everything, check with your doctor, but this worked well for me. I hope this helps.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What's slow lowers? A club?

Yes, it's a club for literate people. I see you are not a member.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    What's slow lowers? A club?

Yes, it's a club for literate people. I see you are not a member.
    ha!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser too! I've lost like 5 lbs in 3 months. More like 3 lbs that occasionally is 5 lbs. I have been doing 1-2 changes per month and seeing how it goes. I switched from hard cardio to weight lifting and little cardio, various eating levels

Currently, I'm eating at estimated maintenance for a month. I also added maca root (natural hormonal supplement) and started taking a probiotic to get rid of my systemic yeast issues (which apparently can cause leaky gut syndrome, especially considering I also have to take nsaids all the time). Next month, I'm switching my birth control and returning to a modest deficit.

Anyways, I have discovered that I maintain at 1400 cals, 1800 cals, and 2500 cals. I may just take it up as high as I can go and see what's up. Better to maintain while eating like a pig than like a bird. ;)

Oh, forgot to mention it's my first 5 lbs too! STALLED BEFORE STARTED. Hehe. Sucks. ;)

Feel free to add me FELLOW SLOWBOAT MEMBER!
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    I'm a slow loser too! I've lost like 5 lbs in 3 months. More like 3 lbs that occasionally is 5 lbs. I have been doing 1-2 changes per month and seeing how it goes. I switched from hard cardio to weight lifting and little cardio, various eating levels

Currently, I'm eating at estimated maintenance for a month. I also added maca root (natural hormonal supplement) and started taking a probiotic to get rid of my systemic yeast issues (which apparently can cause leaky gut syndrome, especially considering I also have to take nsaids all the time). Next month, I'm switching my birth control and returning to a modest deficit.

Anyways, I have discovered that I maintain at 1400 cals, 1800 cals, and 2500 cals. I may just take it up as high as I can go and see what's up. Better to maintain while eating like a pig than like a bird. ;)

Oh, forgot to mention it's my first 5 lbs too! STALLED BEFORE STARTED. Hehe. Sucks. ;)

lol.Misery loves company! I just sent you a requesst.

Feel free to add me FELLOW SLOWBOAT MEMBER!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my stats and you will see that I could possibly be the s-l-o-w-w-w-est loser here. I take consolation in the fact that I have not gained it back. For a person who lost and gained the same 20-30 lbs. over a very long period (maybe 10 years or so) that is a victory for me. I had lost 20 lbs. before finding MFP, so my total weight loss is 64 lbs. I will say I have lost TONS of inches, which keeps me motivated when the scale doesn't move. I have more to lose, but knowing that I can keep off what I've lost is so helpful for me.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Well this is me. I joined MFP in January 2011. So in 18 months I've lost 20-22 lbs give or take with water retention. I'm a slow loser::sad:
    But on the positive side....I'm not gaining like I was before I started:drinker:

I have so many reasons for slow weight loss, hashimotos and hypothyroidism. But I'm thinking of it as a science experiment. I make a change and then analyze whether it works for me. Even if it takes another 18 months I'm moving forward.
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    Well this is me. I joined MFP in January 2011. So in 18 months I've lost 20-22 lbs give or take with water retention. I'm a slow loser::sad:
    But on the positive side....I'm not gaining like I was before I started:drinker:

I have so many reasons for slow weight loss, hashimotos and hypothyroidism. But I'm thinking of it as a science experiment. I make a change and then analyze whether it works for me. Even if it takes another 18 months I'm moving forward.

You have the right attitude! I will keep experimenting!
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    Take a look at my stats and you will see that I could possibly be the s-l-o-w-w-w-est loser here. I take consolation in the fact that I have not gained it back. For a person who lost and gained the same 20-30 lbs. over a very long period (maybe 10 years or so) that is a victory for me. I had lost 20 lbs. before finding MFP, so my total weight loss is 64 lbs. I will say I have lost TONS of inches, which keeps me motivated when the scale doesn't move. I have more to lose, but knowing that I can keep off what I've lost is so helpful for me.

I understand completely. I have lost this weight over and over again. This is the longest time I have kept it on (since 2006). And the first time I got pregnant fat (2007), so who knows!
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    oh i am supposed to be losing.... i feel that is my body. i have been as of today 255 days. everyone says I look great and thinks i lost a lot of weight. um no 12 lbs. i have gone from 2x to xl tops and 22-24-18-20, with some 16s fitting..

I really want to see lbs though.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started out kind of fast, but have really slowed the last couple of months...actually stalled. However more people are noticing in the last 2 weeks, which I find strange. I have measured and have lost an inch here or there but I'm thinking I totally screwed up when I measured the first time. Things are changing and rearranging without the scale moving. The scale lies! My personal opinion is less cardio/more weight training. Muscle helps to burn calories even when your resting so I started lifting more and that's when people started noticing more. I do Zumba once or twice a week because I love it.
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    I started out kind of fast, but have really slowed the last couple of months...actually stalled. However more people are noticing in the last 2 weeks, which I find strange. I have measured and have lost an inch here or there but I'm thinking I totally screwed up when I measured the first time. Things are changing and rearranging without the scale moving. The scale lies! My personal opinion is less cardio/more weight training. Muscle helps to burn calories even when your resting so I started lifting more and that's when people started noticing more. I do Zumba once or twice a week because I love it.

I completely agree with you. Things are rearranging themselves here too:) I just keep saying, I CANNOT look good at this weight!! I know the scale is an evil tool, but 5 lbs seems impossible!! Thanks for responding!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    More cardio, less weight building!

I disagree. Weight lifting will build muscle and burn more calories. Lifting is just as, if not more so, important than cardio.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Someone on MFP posted a link to this a while back and it helped me: http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Good luck. You have to keep tweaking things until you figure out what works for me. I had to up my calories by about 150 a day and decrease my cardio to get the scale moving again after a 6 month plateau.

Thank you for this link. I've been suspecting that I needed to increase cardio to get the scale moving again and that blog post pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I've been wanting to start the C25K program, so now will be a good time to do just that!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow loser, but I also work out a LOT. So my lean body mass is increasing steadily, though my weight usually only moves when I haven't worked out in a few days (muscle recovery is kinda heavy with water weight).

Also, I find if I don't eat enough to fuel my workouts, that will slow me down too. Are these possibly problems?
  • gomisskellygo
    Options
    I'm a slow loser, but I also work out a LOT. So my lean body mass is increasing steadily, though my weight usually only moves when I haven't worked out in a few days (muscle recovery is kinda heavy with water weight).

Also, I find if I don't eat enough to fuel my workouts, that will slow me down too. Are these possibly problems?

Yes, I feel like the scale only shows a loss when I am lazy for days!
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am in the same slow boat too. I joined MFP almost three weeks ago but I've been on a healthier regime for 2.5 months. I am 5' 3" and was 180 lbs. I thought I would lose a lot of weight before hitting a plateau. Nope, I hit the plateau first. Barely lost 3 lbs even though I exercise a lot and my eating habit is dramatically healthier. I am 39 years old so I am thinking maybe being a little older takes a little longer? I am going to continue pushing it - making changes here and there to see if anything will be different. Good luck to all of us :)
  • bhillmer
    bhillmer Posts: 3
    Options
    What I recently learned that there is a heart rate range that will help lose weight which is lower than heart rate for cardio building. I was told to work at the lower rate then every 5 minutes to speed up and do 5 minutes at the cardio rate, then back down to weight loss weight ... and keep repeating

When I was young I could easily lose 5# a week (yo-yo all my life) ... now that I am in my 60s I am happy with a pound a week. I am finally not yo-yo with unreasonable cuts in calories, not doing drastic diets (have been on them all even the 1970s liquid protein) ... my exercise is Pilates (to stave off knee replacement surgery), recumbant bicycle and if knees are good I do Wi Fit.