Newbie curious about protein powders

Options
The world of protein powders is so overwhelming when you have no clue about them at all. Are they good for everyone? Is this something that will help me lose weight and not feel so hungry all of the time? Which ones are the best and most cost-effective?

Do those protein bars actually work?

I'm so confused by it all!

Replies

• Maiducali
    Maiducali Posts: 35
    Options
    I've tried a couple but it all comes down to what you want and need. You can try GNC shakes, which are more about meal replacement, which is something I think you are more into. Muscle Milk is well known and taste just like Chocolate Milk. This however is mostly for people who are working out and to help burn the fat. I used Protein bars, but I realize that I'll eat them as a snack and such. Honestly if you eat all day in small meals you won't be as hungry. At first you will, but give it a day and you won't. I personally have done Muscle Milk Light in the morning that is 100 to 200 calorie for a scoop or two, and at night or sometimes after a workout. Another way is using GNC Vanilla Bean and making smoothies. You can make a shake that is around 400 calories and feel full for a good portion of the day. But the simplest is Muscle Milk Light. I find that everyone likes to use it and it's found anywhere. It's $21 for 1.65lbs and last for a good month or so. I like the chocolate, but you can try others. I find the powder taste more chocolate than the ready made ones
    http://www.amazon.com/CytoSport-Muscle-Milk-Light-Chocolate/dp/B002DUD6SS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340676266&sr=8-1&keywords=muscle+milk+light
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use whey protean power mixed with a cup of lowfat chocolate milk or mixed with water and fruit. I read you want a little sugar to aid in the cell protean absorption.

I use these shakes not as a meal replacement, but rather as a recovery drink post workout.

If you are looking for a snack, I'd eat real food (veggies and lean protean, lean meat, tofu, rice & beans etc).

I'll use Think Thin bars, if I need something that is small and I can carry with me (ie a bike ride) but I don;t use them everyday. Whey protean can cause constipation, so you don't want to much of it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    The world of protein powders is so overwhelming when you have no clue about them at all. Are they good for everyone? Is this something that will help me lose weight and not feel so hungry all of the time? Which ones are the best and most cost-effective?

Do those protein bars actually work?

I'm so confused by it all!

Protein powders are great if you can't meet your protein macros with whole food while staying under your calorie goal. You should aim for 1g protein / lb of lean body mass. It is fine for anyone but whole foods are a better option if you can do it. Protein will make you feel full longer......The body fortress at Wal Mart is cheap and works fine. I would stay away from the bars.......glorified candy bars.......fine once in a while but not as a nutritional staple.