how do you overcome temptation to eat junk!?

i am ready for a change and i need some new friends to help motivate me, i will do my best to help in return! as a 21 year old it is very hard not to fall off the healthy wagon being around friends who eat poorly, going out to bars etc. i would love to hear how people overcome the urge to eat something junky or what kind of food "rewards" people allow themselves to have! feel free to add me :smile:

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    I plan ahead usually and eat it only when I have calories available and I want a treat (in other words, It's not totally out of the picture forever for me! ;) ) Basically though, I keep lots of healthy snacks and things I can grab and eat when I have a junk food craving so that I resist the impulse to go get something not healthy. And the fact that I only have so many calories per day, seeing how much of those calories that the junk food takes up is enough to make me think twice before going for it. Keep your meals interesting and flavorful, and you won't miss the other stuff as much! Develop a passion for cooking and you'll be more motivated to cook instead of go out.
  • nikkibello
    nikkibello Posts: 64 Member
    I just figure I don't want to be wearing it so that's usually enough to get me to back away from it but not always, lol. It's got to be tough when everyone around you is eating junk. Maybe grab something healthy before you head out w/your pals... You can add me if you want some spport:-) Good luck!
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    I don't use ANY food 'rewards' usually, and on the very rare occasion that I'm tempted to, something usually stops me in my tracks (like today, I read a great post about binging that put things back into perspective). With that said, I don't declare any of my favorite foods as off limits; I just eat them in moderation. I have a drink when I go out with friends, I eat treats every once in a while ( I have a GREAT recipe for watermelon sorbet that my hubby and I make at home- it's low cal and really good!), and I exercise. If I really want to eat some junky food, I do- only a serving though, or less, if I can help it. Like chocolate, for example... I LOVE chocolate, and I work with a girl who keeps the office candy dish well stocked. Sometimes I just can't resist it. So I nibble 1 (and only 1) mini snickers (the little tiny bite sized ones). The calories are worth it, and that 1 little bit of chocolate satisfies the craving without killing my diet.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    You don't have to completely deprive.

Having small portions of junk wont make you fall off the wagon. Just be sensible. If you can't then remove temptation, don't buy junk food, don't go to the junk food aisle of the grocery, or find a lower fat/calorie option.

Also, don't make it a habit to reward yourself with food or binging. Like someone said, you're not a dog, don't reward yourself with food.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    May or may not work for you - but...

For me - I've never really been that bothered about food. My reason for joining this site was being underweight. My friend was overweight though, and having discussed eating habits to death, one thing we noticed was a severe difference in the way we both thought about food. To him it was something to do, a celebration when things were good, commiseration when things were bad.

One specific way I would get turned off by food was (and bear in mind this wasn't a conscious effort - I didn't even really realise it until talking it through) in my head I wouldn't be thinking about how good it would taste, but I would associate it with how bad it would make me feel afterwards like how when you eat something greasy your mouth gets all greased up and your belly churns and all that...

My friend made a bit of a conscious effort to think like that and it became normal for him. He's now less than 196lbs of muscle down from around 300.