Do you work nights?!?

Options

Replies

• thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I work nights and I finally figured out a way to calculate my food for each "day" I work 11-7am and I've found that since my sleep schedule is completely jacked some days I go to bed right when I get home some days I'm up until 2pm so I log my food on a 7am-7am schedule anything after 7am goes to the next day not matter what. That way my days are always 24 hours no questioning which day to put my food intake or exercise on.
  • boomrain
    boomrain Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work for an airline, so I usually work all different hours, but usually 3pm-11pm, or if I am flying it is usually crazy hours. I still try not to eat at least 4-5 hours before bedtime. It's hard sometimes with time changes.

that is an old wive's tale. you can eat any time of day; it makes no difference. the only difference you could see on the scale would be if you have not "processed" your food yet, ahem.
    Pretty much.

Yeah I learned this too, that it doesn't really matter. I do eat before I go to bed on the days that I work because I take sleep meds that need to be taken with food. I pretty much have a routine down now and it hasn't hurt my Weightloss thus far.
    Time is a human concept. The body doesn't know time.
  • boomrain
    Options
    I work nights and I finally figured out a way to calculate my food for each "day" I work 11-7am and I've found that since my sleep schedule is completely jacked some days I go to bed right when I get home some days I'm up until 2pm so I log my food on a 7am-7am schedule anything after 7am goes to the next day not matter what. That way my days are always 24 hours no questioning which day to put my food intake or exercise on.

Oh that's interesting!! I still use the 12-12 schedule, but I do exactly what you do. Anything eaten before 12am goes on the previous day and visa versa.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I work 3pm-12am and the occasional double shift of 3pm-8am
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I've been using MFP since late Aprilish and everyone has been quite amazing and supportive!! I work two 12 hour night shifts 9pm-9am and one 15 hour night shift 9pm-12pm....and that's if I'm not doing overtime!! This lifestyle can we wicked hard!! I'm looking for friends who are in the same ballpark as me, so that we can help support each other and give each other advice about what to eat and such. Of course if you don't work nights, I love making new friends regardless. Just seeing if people are dealing with the same things that I have to deal/struggle with. :)

I am on 6 of 7 12 hour nights....I'll be off wednsday and thursday then I start day shift on friday....Ya, night shift can be a...well, YOU KNOW!! lol... I get off in the am and do my walk or run then crash til around 3. I sleep much better on night shift than day shift! Check out the Official Night Shift Thread....its on going..... Christine
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work nights and it is definitely hard

I work sun - thurs nights 10pm to 6am

Dang, so you just started! I only have 1 more this rotation...
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    10p-6a at minimum. The way I do it is breakfast at 6pm lunch at 12am and dinner between 3 and 4am. Two snacks in between. I usually use cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers for the snacks. Microwavable chicken breasts, tuna packets, and other low calorie reheatable food for the meals. I jog up a few flights of stairs every hour or so since my job puts me at a desk quite often. I do a sloid workout then shower before bed in the morning. I've been loosing descent weight since I startded doing this and tracking it on MFP. Previousely I gained 30 pounds because of the switch to night shift. My body was so confused I was sleeping less than 3 hours a day and eating 6 full meals. I had to get it under control.
  • boomrain
    Options
    I work nights and it is definitely hard

I work sun - thurs nights 10pm to 6am

Dang, so you just started! I only have 1 more this rotation...

Yup!!! And I'm doing OT this week, so I'm doing three 12 hour shifts and one 15 hour!!! Rough!!!
  • jenniferillene
    jenniferillene Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes! I work an werid time actually..4:30 pm till 1am..been doing it for 11 years now! Definatly had to stop the the late night eating..but now that I have and changed eating habits in general, Im 50lbs down!! :)
  • boomrain
    Options
    10p-6a at minimum. The way I do it is breakfast at 6pm lunch at 12am and dinner between 3 and 4am. Two snacks in between. I usually use cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers for the snacks. Microwavable chicken breasts, tuna packets, and other low calorie reheatable food for the meals. I jog up a few flights of stairs every hour or so since my job puts me at a desk quite often. I do a sloid workout then shower before bed in the morning. I've been loosing descent weight since I startded doing this and tracking it on MFP. Previousely I gained 30 pounds because of the switch to night shift. My body was so confused I was sleeping less than 3 hours a day and eating 6 full meals. I had to get it under control.

I'm glad you brought up sleep because sleep is a HUGE issue with me. I definitely don't get enough between getting off from work and having to go to the gym. I tend to work out for 2 hours...do I'm losing about 3 hours of sleep on at least two of my night shifts. Being tired has really complicated things for me and I also have to take sleeping pills to help me sleep during the day when I have to go on shift.

I just started eating Laughing Cow cheese wedges and reduced fat wheat thins as a snack for at work. I pretty much use the normal 12-12 eating schedule that MFP has, it's just easier for me that way. I just end up eating lunch at 4pm and then dinner at 8 right before I go into work. Then I snack at 11 and then my next day starts and I will have s piece of fruit around 3am and breakfast starts at 8am. And I leave work at 9:30 to go home and sleep till about 4, eat, go to the gym, go home, shower eat and go back to work.
  • ZenVen
    ZenVen Posts: 8
    Options
    > Add me too! I work 12+ hour shifts from (either) ~0300 - 1700 or ~1600 - 0500.
    > I'd love support and ideas from any of you! :)
  • boomrain
    Options
    Yes! I work an werid time actually..4:30 pm till 1am..been doing it for 11 years now! Definatly had to stop the the late night eating..but now that I have and changed eating habits in general, Im 50lbs down!! :)

That's awesome!! Great job!! When I first started my night job, I ate to help me stay awake and I gained 40 in one year!! Ive lost almost 30 if that 40, so I'm learning!!!
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Oh that's interesting!! I still use the 12-12 schedule, but I do exactly what you do. Anything eaten before 12am goes on the previous day and visa versa.

I decided on the 7-7 schedule just due to the times when I eat it made more sense makes it easier. I might switch it to 9-9 since now that it's summer seems like I'm staying up more often until 9-10 then my day just ends when I go to bed. IF you look at my diary I've got several meal times listed. 7am-10am (midnight snack lol) breakfast, lunch, dinner 1 and dinner 2, then snacks. depending on the day and whether or not I work I put stuff in where it needs to be helps me.
  • belle94509
    belle94509 Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to work nights (11pm - 7am) for about 3 years. I loved it except working weekends :frown:

It was difficult getting my eating routine down because I would get confused about when to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I have changed my diary settings....actually several times cuz I TOO was getting really confused. But I found a way that is really helpful to me. It might help you too. I just started reading this thread so I will continue reading and see what other tips and suggestions I can find helpful. I start my new "day" at midnight. (I work at 7pm to 730am at one job and 1130 p to 8am at another with an hour commute each way to this job) So my set up is 12a-8am and then 8-11,11-2,2-5, 5-8, 8-12 and starts again. I track everthing I eat so this way its TRACKED. Who cares EXACTLY when it was eaten as long as it is tracked is my thought. Anyways hope this helps.
  • tlucas69
    tlucas69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital. 11p to 7:30a. 5 days a week.
    I also get confused when to log in my meals. But right now i'm on the 12-12 way. Anything I eat right after midnite at work would be my breakfast.
    Feel free to add me!
  • icedesign1
    icedesign1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work twelves too! 8pm to 8 am. My diary always looks like I only eat 800 calories a day but really I eat 1600 most it's just half the calories on one day and half on the next. My biggest stumbling block is that my coworkers have the Food Network on all night long. I do walk for 25 minutes a night on my lunch break which helps a lot. I work in the 911 call center. Add me if youd like. My diary is open.
  • belle94509
    belle94509 Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to work nights (11pm - 7am) for about 3 years. I loved it except working weekends :frown:

It was difficult getting my eating routine down because I would get confused about when to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I know exactly what you mean!!! That definitely was throwing me off too!! I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to lose weight because my body would be confused! I go back to a normal schedule Thursday-Sunday. And my night life is Monday-Wednesday. It's tricky!!

Don't we wish "NIGHT LIFE" meant out dancing and partying?!!! lol.
  • boomrain
    Options

I have changed my diary settings....actually several times cuz I TOO was getting really confused. But I found a way that is really helpful to me. It might help you too. I just started reading this thread so I will continue reading and see what other tips and suggestions I can find helpful. I start my new "day" at midnight. (I work at 7pm to 730am at one job and 1130 p to 8am at another with an hour commute each way to this job) So my set up is 12a-8am and then 8-11,11-2,2-5, 5-8, 8-12 and starts again. I track everthing I eat so this way its TRACKED. Who cares EXACTLY when it was eaten as long as it is tracked is my thought. Anyways hope this helps.

Yeah, I'm not specific with the times in my diary. Ive kept the normal 12-12 and I just make sure i log everything I eat. I cant change my settings because my routine is different for every night that I work. Is your diary open?
  • boomrain
    Options

I know exactly what you mean!!! That definitely was throwing me off too!! I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to lose weight because my body would be confused! I go back to a normal schedule Thursday-Sunday. And my night life is Monday-Wednesday. It's tricky!!

Don't we wish "NIGHT LIFE" meant out dancing and partying?!!! lol.

Haha, yeah really!!
  • Pip_squeak
    Pip_squeak Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm a 12'er too. Just making my mark here.