Runner's "side stitch"

Options
Any of you ever get what's called a "side stitch" where there is this horrible pinch on your side when you're running? I sometimes get them so bad that they won't go away and I have to stop running and finish up my workout walking it off.

I have heard drinking more water throughout the day will help or breathing in deeper...thoughts?

Replies

• freerangehuman
    freerangehuman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I usually get it if I run too soon after eating.
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Try starting off a little slower and build your speed. If you still get one, take a couple of deep breaths and breathe into the spot that's cramping and try to relax your shoulders. Helps me a LOT.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Okay here's what you do... trust me this works:

While running, take the biggest breath you can and blow it out slowly and fully over as many steps as you can possibly exhale for (like flexing every ab muscle to push out the last little bit of air)... then take another big huge breath and do it again. Two or 3 times and it should go away. So weird, but it works.
  • boecho
    boecho Posts: 74
    Options
    shallow breathing is the culprit. Take deep breaths as you run, filling the lungs completely. But if you do get them, Mrsbigmack has your cure :)
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to try it tomorrow - hopefully I won't need to - but I appreciate all the advice :)
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm very prone to side stitches or cramps hen running and in my experience, I've found all these things play a role:

-dehydration. drink lots of water before you go, but wait 20-30 min after consuming water to run or it'll be counter-productive

-make sure it isn't too hot if you're running outside, or you may get very bad side stitches and pass out (not fun lol)

-don't eat for at least two hours before a workout unless it's a light and easily digestible meal/snack such as bananas, raisins, or grapes.

-BREATHE PROPERLY & EVENLY. this is the biggest one, I tend to hold my breath or breath into my chest very rapidly instead of taking long, steady breaths with my diaphragm. I find that If i focus on my breathing and sort of purse my lips in an O form and keep it as steady and slow as possible, side stitches are not an issue in the slightest. But if I start to breath shallow, I start to get cramps.

-HAVE GOOD POSTURE / FORM!!! This is a biggie, make sure you are standing straight and tall with your chest out, shoulders relaxed, and head up. This is another one that I need to focus on or i'll get them really bad

hope i helped!!!

oh and i forgot, make sure to get enough potassium as well
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options

While running, take the biggest breath you can and blow it out slowly and fully over as many steps as you can possibly exhale for (like flexing every ab muscle to push out the last little bit of air)... then take another big huge breath and do it again. Two or 3 times and it should go away. So weird, but it works.

Yep. I do this every once in a while while I'm running to keep me from getting side stitches. I'm bad at getting them because I'm asthmatic so my breathing goes to the shallow side more often than not. Deep breathes with slow exhalation over 4 or 5 strides helps me from getting them.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Yep. I do this every once in a while while I'm running to keep me from getting side stitches. I'm bad at getting them because I'm asthmatic so my breathing goes to the shallow side more often than not. Deep breathes with slow exhalation over 4 or 5 strides helps me from getting them.
    I have asthma as well, do you know what to do when you start to have problem during a run, and no meds??
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    All good advice. it all sucks.
    I usually just concentrate on exhaling on the opposite side from were it hurts.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I cannot drink close to when I'm going to run or drink more than a few sips of water while running or I get a stitch
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options

*keeping this in mind* thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • pundas
    pundas Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have been having a huge problem with this recently. Even just walking would cause me horrible cramps. I read a post on here that it also has a lot to do with what you eat and how long you start running after you eat. This made perfect sense to me.... I started eating a lot of fiber for breakfast and would then start running about 30 minutes after I ate. This resulted in HORRIBLE cramps so bad I had to stop completely, not even walking. I then changed my breakfast to no fiber and high protein and waited an hour and a half to 2 hours before running and it greatly helped me. Drinking a lot of water has also helped me too
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to get it when I first started.

Here's what I do:

- don't eat 2 hours before running.
    - drink water whilst running.
    - breath properly. take deep breaths and focus on breathing especially exhaling
    - slow my pace down
    - have a good posture
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's posture for me. I get a stitch when I run down hills that are too long... because my form is all messed up running downhill. Still haven't got this right.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    This has always been an issue for me, even when I was younger...Thanks for the tips!