Um, cholesterol???

Options
boomrain
boomrain Posts: 74 Member
Well, before I started my weight loss my doctor told me that I had high cholesterol. So ever since my lifestyle change, I've been sure to keep it low. I'm sure my cholesterol is a million times better, but...I've been recently eating hard boiled eggs because I wasn't getting nearly enough protein. Now I'm getting enough protein but I'm going over my cholesterol goals. Is this bad?? Should I really not eat eggs as much to avoid the cholesterol and find a different way to consume more protein??

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i know i am gonna get slated for this one but.....(bothered)! :noway:

i am also someone who has high cholesterole too(in my genes) so i can do NOTHING about it at all!
    i always used to say off the eggs too untill i saw a program and there is good and bad cholesterole,(arhhh spelling)! lol :huh:

They did a experiment and someone lived only on eggs for a month(OMG)! anyway the choleserole levls never went up in the slightest as they are the good one and not the bad! so i say eat eggs!

LONG LIVE EGGS!(until you eat them that is)! :drinker:

also honey if you need some protein ideas feel free to look at my diary i also have to have high protein diet!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Get tested and see what the eggs are doing for or to you.

I eat about 3 whole eggs a day, numbers are better than ever personally.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Have the egg whites for the protein and skip the yolks (or have one whole egg and a couple of egg whites).
  • boomrain
    Options
    Have the egg whites for the protein and skip the yolks (or have one whole egg and a couple of egg whites).

What?!? The yolks the best part!!!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your cholesterol levels are less affected by dietary cholesterol than they are by saturated fat and fiber. Your body produces cholesterol, and will increase or decrease production according to how much cholesterol you eat (this is why some people have high cholesterol, even if they eat right). However, eating too much saturated fat, usually from meats and dairy, will drive your cholesterol levels up. Eating enough fiber will help keep your cholesterol levels under control.
  • boomrain
    Options
    Your cholesterol levels are less affected by dietary cholesterol than they are by saturated fat and fiber. Your body produces cholesterol, and will increase or decrease production according to how much cholesterol you eat (this is why some people have high cholesterol, even if they eat right). However, eating too much saturated fat, usually from meats and dairy, will drive your cholesterol levels up. Eating enough fiber will help keep your cholesterol levels under control.

Ooo thanks, this was very informative.
  • boomrain
    Options
    i know i am gonna get slated for this one but.....(bothered)! :noway:

i am also someone who has high cholesterole too(in my genes) so i can do NOTHING about it at all!
    i always used to say off the eggs too untill i saw a program and there is good and bad cholesterole,(arhhh spelling)! lol :huh:

They did a experiment and someone lived only on eggs for a month(OMG)! anyway the choleserole levls never went up in the slightest as they are the good one and not the bad! so i say eat eggs!

LONG LIVE EGGS!(until you eat them that is)! :drinker:

also honey if you need some protein ideas feel free to look at my diary i also have to have high protein diet!

My girlfriend kept saying eggs weren't bad for my cholesterol! I wish MFP broke up good and bad cholesterol! Haha.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yeah saturated fats are what will really raise your LDL (the bad levels). Some doctors think that eggs actually can help regulate LDL levels, but others disagree, so I think it really depends on the person.

Eggs shouldn't raise in regards to LDL though!

Edit: Saturated fats are actually one of the things that I'm watching in my diary because of that reason.
  • boomrain
    Options
    Yeah saturated fats are what will really raise your LDL (the bad levels). Some doctors think that eggs actually can help regulate LDL levels, but others disagree, so I think it really depends on the person.

Eggs shouldn't raise in regards to LDL though!

Edit: Saturated fats are actually one of the things that I'm watching in my diary because of that reason.

Yup!!! My fat intake is the only thing I was really concerned about with my diet. I'm not a low carb person because I live fruits and veggies!! But definitely trying to keep my fat, especially my saturated fats at its lowest.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yup, most of the cholesterol production is endogenous. When you consume dietary cholesterol, body slows down the production.
    As for the eggs, nothing bad about the cholesterol they contain (HIgh-density Lipoprotein). Removing the yolk is not interesting at all and a wast, most of the nutrients being into the yolk actually.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat raises both HDL and LDL, just keep it reasonable. It would be optimal to get the majority of your dietary fat from MUFAs (HDL raising), some saturated fat and some PUFA (pretty much just fish oil/omega 3)