HELP!!! Do you weigh your meat cooked or uncooked?

Options
12346»

Replies

• alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ebdavey wrote: »
    On the idea of cooking adding calories... I'm a biochemist... ive read various articles (including the one posted by ddoeren84). I suspect that this is a red herring... Calorific values are calculated using a bomb calorimeter - basically the test item is burned completely and the output energy measured. quote]
    -
    - I've always wondered how it was measured but never took the time to research it. Thank you for the info.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    loriq41 wrote: »
    I have always weighed mine cooked and obviously not a biggie as I have lost 42 lbs..so there ya go.

There you go. Whatever works. I cook big meals for my family and I don't always know how much I'll feel like eating. So I measure all my food cooked, what goes on the plate. Never stopped me from dropping them pounds.
  • brookechooka89
    brookechooka89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Initially, I do both. I weigh it raw and then I cook it and weigh it again. Then I make an entry under My Foods with the weight it was cooked yielding from the weight it was raw. That way, I can confidently cook the meat without weighing before every time because I already know what a serving will weigh. i do the same thing with pasta.

I have a high school ratio math test question for you all.

Q.1.: If I have 1.8kg of raw roast meat

...then cook it

The roast meat is now 1.2kg of cooked roast meat.

If I measure 200g of cooked roast meat, what did it weigh raw?

What is the calculation?

A: (1800g / 1200g) x 200g = 300g

Ratio: 1800:1200 = 3:2

Therefore the cooked 200g of meat was actually 300g of raw meat.

Yes, you would need to weigh raw first, then cook and then weigh again. But if you want to know how to work it out and be confident with what weight you are logging, then there it is.

It's all well and good to weigh raw food, but when you're cooking roast meats, it's hard to feel like you're not just guessing / over estimating / under estimating.

I like to eat what's on my plate without feeling guilty that I've under calculated. I'm also a bit OCD when weighing so I like to be fairly close to the mark.

I hope this has helped atleast 1 person out there :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What if you are cooking a pound of lean ground turkey because you don't have time to cook every day but you only eat some of it every day in your tacos? How do you measure that raw?

• R222i
    R222i Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I encounter the same problem with brown rice! Do I measure it dry or cooked??like 195g or 1cup of cooked brown rice or uncooked ?? Help
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh dear Lord. My head is pounding after reading all of these replies. :cold_sweat:

I have always weighed my meat raw. Obviously it weighs less after cooking.. I would much rather overestimate than underestimate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ...And if you go on page 3, there's 2 more threads on this topic.. I dare not click on those :open_mouth:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Trim it,cook it, weigh it.

Enter a slightly lower number in my food diary

.... Wait, were we supposed to be honest here?

:)