why are all gym clothes sooooo tight?

Options
zeeeb
zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
I am having no end of trouble trying to find some suitable gym t-shirts... Almost everything available (i'm in australia) is fitted. and the baggy mens style t-shirts just make me look even bigger.

I'm a size 14 bottom and 16 top (i hate things that hug my stomach so i wear 16 tops), and it's impossible for me to find a decent looking t-shirt that doesn't cling to my trouble area (tummy). i want something loose, but not a "mens' baggy t-shirt".

i have a couple of t-shirts i bought a few years ago when i was alot bigger that are a bit more feminine and styled in their cut (scoop neck), and they are nearly worn out. Everything at the shops is either frumpy or tight tight. I hate things clinging to my stomach, nothing looks worse than someone of my size doing situps in a tight t-shirt. nobody wants to see my rolls, and i don't want to see them in the mirror either...

i'm not that big, but nor am i the appropriate size to wear skinny clothes.

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Nike do a range of different fit bottoms, and Ive found some lovely loose tops from Mackenzie and Adidas. Mackenzie is quite cheap too :)
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I've never really found comfortable gym clothes, so I just rock a guy's v neck undershirt. They're comfy, they stretch, they make me look awesome in them, the only downfall is that they're cotton. But I'd rather be sweaty and feeling comfortable than uncomfortable in a shirt and never use it.
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I wear guys tshirts I'm afraid... I'm there to workout and come home like a sweaty smelly beetroot anyway so an attractive top really wouldnt help the matter.... Just find something as comfortable as you can and don't worry about how you look in it! x
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why not just go the wifebeater and basketball shorts route?

I like the tight yoga pants because they make the glutes look delicious, but if I didn't, I would just wear.. real athletic gear as opposed to "fitness" gear.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    But...you're exercising so that you're healthier and will look better, right? Then what does it matter if a man's shirt makes you look bigger while you work to get smaller?
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just buy stuff in a size that means I can get into it comfortably, then go work out :) I too am a 16 on top.

I've started wearing running t-shirts which are quite tight round my middle, also my problem area, as well as stretchy but tight yoga pants, which make my other problem area look worse, probably, and I just don't care anymore. I'm there to work out, if people don't like how I look while doing that (out of breath, sweaty and red) that's their problem, not mine.

That being said, if all else fails, try shops like Primark for cheap, plain t-shirts.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm in the guys clothes camp. Guys t-shirts + guys shorts because they're not super short and I don't want to feel like my thighs are hanging out waving to everyone... >_>

I actually still cycle through the t-shirts and shorts I've owned since starting when I was 164lbs... It's kind of motivating to see how much baggier they are now that I'm close to my goal. Sometimes I think back to my n00b days and smile about how far I've come. :)

Someday I'll feel comfortable in typical women's workout gear...but that day isn't here yet. (I'm also _very_ self-conscious about my middle.)
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    But...you're exercising so that you're healthier and will look better, right? Then what does it matter if a man's shirt makes you look bigger while you work to get smaller?

I agree, but us women are always down on ourselves about how we look, yes even at the gym (to a certain degree).

personally I wear regular t-shirts and just cut off the sleeves.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes just wear a regular cotton t-shirt that you'd wear on a casual day out, they cost the same as workout clothes. I don't think the only option has to be mens shirts or really tight clothes.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    All my gym clothes are men's clothes: the shorts, shoes, socks, and tshirt.
    Everything except underwear and sports bra has been found in the men's department. I love the cut of their running shorts (much more comfortable), and like you, I hate clinging tops, so I just wear oversized tshirts. I sometimes wear shirts from high school haha - PE shirts/netball team shirts etc. as they're not of the typical female-cinched-waist cut.

I should add that my gym stuff comes from big stores like Big W/Walmart etc. I would love some fancy cute gym clothes, but I'm really not about to spend $80+ on a pair of tiny shorts.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I totally get you.
    I hate buying workout tops so I don't.
    Not really anyway, I've got a couple of tank tops from Old Navy and I got moisture wicking shirts from Target.
    But the Target tops are clingy, I hate clingy.
    I typically workout in a t-shirt that I got at some event at some point in my life.

I do like the tight spandex-y bottoms, they make my *kitten* look fantastic =D
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    And, what if it doesn't match. Oh, dear God, the shame, the shame.

Come on. You're getting dirty and sweaty. Who cares? Loose baggy clothing is what I like.
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    Just don't forget how you feel right now and keep working out. Clothes look funny on you. When you can finally fit into the clothes you want to look good on you, never go back to where you feel today.

Peace.
  • zakismom
    zakismom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to wonder why girls would put on shirts that were form fitting to work out in when they didn't always look that great and then I started running and discovered that closer to the body meant less chance of chafing. Now I make sure that everything I work out in is tech material and figure that I'm running or at the gym and setting a good example and what I'm wearing is what makes ME get a better work out in. When I run I ALWAYS run in running skirts, they look great, keep me cool and are super comfortable. The company I get mine from (SparkleSkirts) has an option with AWESOME shorts underneath that NEVER ride up and now I even wear them to the gym for my regular workouts. We moved and I started at a new gym last Fall and never saw any other skirts, lately I have noticed a few more girls rocking the skirt. I also have a few running dresses (Nuu-Muu is a fabulous running dress company) and SparkleSkirts makes a short that goes under their skirts without a built in one and I wear these under my running dresses. I have discovered when I look good I feel good and there is no better feeling then when I pass a guy when I'm running and smile to myself thinking, "you just got passed by a skirt." :wink:
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I always love that my bottoms are tight...the tighter the better, actually, because it keeps all the jiggling down and makes me feel like I can move more how my body is intended. But shirts? HELL NO! If the shirt is too tight, it rides up, which drives me completely insane. I tend to go for tees and tanks that may not necessarily be meant for working out, but that hang just a bit loose so I can twist and turn without worrying about ride up. Honestly? Wear what works for you that makes your body move the way you need it to for the workout you're working and don't worry too much about the "how do I look?" factor. I think everyone looks beautiful drenched in sweat at the gym - the clothes don't matter as much as the effort.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    I used to wonder why girls would put on shirts that were form fitting to work out in when they didn't always look that great and then I started running and discovered that closer to the body meant less chance of chafing.

^agree. I wear skin-tight clothes. On days when I'm not feeling so hot, I'll put a big T over, long enough to cover my bum a bit, and the tops of my arms/belly.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I actually like things a little more form fitting because they contain the jiggle while I run and don't get in the way when I lift. At first I was more self conscious about it and would layer a mens size small or medium undershirt over my tighter workout gear but lately I just don't care, the people at the gym aren't looking at me any more than I'm looking at them and if they ARE looking and being judgemental then I couldn't care less about their opinion because at least I'm at the gym for the right reasons!

For the men's shirts just go down a size or two and it won't be so baggy on you but will still be less clingy to your extra curves. you wont look like an hourglass shaped bombshell in them but at least they'll take you mind off the bulge and help you focus on your workouts without worrying.
  • pengem789
    pengem789 Posts: 45
    Options
    1. loose clothing does chafe. 2. loose clothing is very dangerous around some machines and can get jammed.... 3. When I was a size 16 top, the best thing I found that didn't "hang' like a men's shirt or "cling" like the workout clothing was this style from Old Navy...$10 and classic: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=71216&vid=1&pid=576054&scid=576054042
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    I hate tight tops and those that cling to my stomach but more importantly to me those that ride up. I think there is a difference between big floppy tops which I wouldn't wear and slightly more forgiving shapes.

Since I'm in Australia, I shop at:
    Rebel Sport - love getting Ts here, a good size range and they are on sale too right now. + running bare has tanks that are looser in the stomach. Rebel would be my top pick to shop at.
    Target - but sometimes their sizes can get weird like one of my tops says size 14 but another says 8 from the active wear section (& I'm definitely a size 8). So it's a matter of finding a style you actually fit a size in (not necessarily judging by the number on the tag).
    Lorna Jane - their Ts (not their itty bitty tanks) are a good shape, not too baggy shapeless but not tight
    But don't discount shops like Kmart and Big W as they can have hidden jems.

I think it's just a matter of shopping & more shopping until you find what you like. It takes me ages to find pants I like. Its funny to admit it now but I get a bit giddy over buying exercise clothes :laugh: