Hi

Options
I'm Andy, 45years young, I've always been reasonably fit up to leaving the air force 12 years ago. I've got a job in IT now, which I've been doing for 7 years, far too much sitting around, I've got 2daughters 5 and 2 years, so a couple of years have been spent as a sleepless zombie. About 4 years ago I got a wake up call when I went to enrol at the gym and they checked my blood pressure which was off the scale (shocked is not the word). Of to the docs for confirmation, oh yes, high cholesterol too, argh!
She put me on statins and blood pressure pills , I've never felt so awful in my life, felt like I was having a daily heart attack (th is is just a Side effect apparently). Back to the docs, diet change ( I must admit my diet was awful). So I became 5 a day man and tried to eat better (but changing eating habits is really hard, one step at a time). Back to docs , no change. These pills make me feel awful, can I get off them, no, you will be on them for the rest of your life!!
Blood pressure book ordered off amazon, inwardly digested, change doctor , cross trainer 45 minutes a day, blood pressure/ cholesterol review 6 months later, off the damn pills, hurrah for me. Then my right knee started to hurt so much, I couldn't do cross trainer anymore, I' d been going to the gym too, but it's expensive , always full so you have to queue for equipment, plus my mrs works long hours, so I look after my babies. I found the only thing I could do was cycling / cycling machine (boring), this was keeping my blood pressure under control, but not my waist size. A couple months of cardio and knee sorted, back to cross trainer , ouch, within a week knee in agony, stuck with cycling again, the cross trainer just makes my knee hurt.
One of my best buddies discovered p90x (curtesy of the Bruno marrs song), he did it and I could see the results happening before my eyes. So, I'm sick of looking at my gut bulging in the bathroom mirror, gone from 32 inch waist to bulging 34 inch, trousers falling down cos of my gut.
Let's give this p90x thing ago ( if my knee will let me) , IT ROCKS. I love it, so does my knee, so varied and interesting , starting my 6th week, lost 12 pound in the first 9 days, then plateaued, introduction to my fitnesspal by my p90x buddy (what a top geezer he is), must admit my diet wasn't as good as it should be, this thing helps enormously (only been on here for a week), first weigh in on Thursday , fingers crossed I,ve lost some, stomach fat is just the hardest to get rid of, I'll have to be patient.

So the moral of my story is, don't take everything the doctor tells you as gospel, if something hurts, do something else that doesn't aggrevate it ( arthurs story on here is awesome, so inspiring ) get exercising (bring it) . But the biggest hurdle is diet, you can do all the exercise you want, but if you don't diet, the fat only moves a Little bit.

Starting my 6th week of p90x and looking forward to rest of the journey , I will succeed . I feel great already!!

BRING IT