Advice for a new runner ?

Options
2»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You don't win any medals for winning a training run and you will get much better aerobic conditioning from running 3 miles at a pace you can sustain than stopping at 1 mile because you ran too fast. You have the speed already as you just proved to yourself. Now you just need the patience to build up your aerobic capacity so that you can sustain that speed.

If you do feel the overwhelming need to run fast then save it for the last mile of your training run instead of the first. You will get a much better training effect that way.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    There are a few apps out there like cardiotrainer pro (and I think endomondo) where you can race yourself. You can set it to 'motivate' you to run at whatever percentage of a previous run you want to. For example, 105% of your last run. You can also set it up to race friends that are using the same app to help motivate eachother. I'm on Week 5 Day 1 today, but when I get finished, I might try to find some people on here to "race" for motivation to keep going.