Fish Dish Dilemas

Options
LisAllum
LisAllum Posts: 55
With every weightloss program I've been on, I've struggled because over half of the recipes are for fish (bleh). Shellfish and seafood are great favourites of mine but fish has always been a problem. Having said this, I do eat tuna. Sick of tuna sandwiches and tuna in a baked potato, I decided to try tuna steaks.

The problem is, I have no idea how to cook them or what to cook them with, and am looking for suggestions and ideas please!

Replies

• gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I like tilapia. Not fishy tasting. Very mild. I grill it on the George Foreman with blackened seasoning (sometimes with a grilled banana and pineapple too...yummy), or taragon with lemon juice and capers. Another favorite of mine is salmon in a light terryaki marinade.
  • Dannib55
    Dannib55 Posts: 50
    Options
    Last week, I seared a couple of tuna steaks and served them with a pineapple salsa over salad greens. Tuna cooks very quickly and should still be pink/rare in the middle. I sent a skillet on med-high add a little grapeseed oil, season tuna with salt and pepper and then sear 2-3 min per side, no more.

Pineapple salsa
    1/2 pineapple
    1 bell pepper diced
    1/2 sweet onion
    1/2 cup of cilantro or more to taste
    juice of a lime
    1 tsp raw honey
    salt and pepper to taste

Serve over salad greens and enjoy
  • LisAllum
    Options
    I've tried lots of fish over the years, hopin my taste might change, but the only one I can stomach is tuna lol. My other half loves salmon and the kids eat fish but the smell and the texture just makes me feel ick. I figure if I can eat tuna out of a can, tthe next step is to try it fresh lol
  • LisAllum
    Options
    Danni, I love the sound of the onion, lime and honey. Is there anything else I could use other than peppers or pineapples?
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Last week, I seared a couple of tuna steaks and served them with a pineapple salsa over salad greens. Tuna cooks very quickly and should still be pink/rare in the middle. I sent a skillet on med-high add a little grapeseed oil, season tuna with salt and pepper and then sear 2-3 min per side, no more.

Pineapple salsa
    1/2 pineapple
    1 bell pepper diced
    1/2 sweet onion
    juice of a lime
    1 tsp raw honey
    salt and pepper to taste

OMG that sounds wonderful!! Gonna have to try that! Like now!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have found that, with fish, less is more. I put the steak on tin foil, sprinkle it with seasonings.....lemon pepper, seasoned salt, fresh herbs if I have them, brush with a little oyster sauce or teriyaki sauce or dill butter....wrap up and bake at 425 for about 20 - 30 min, depending on how thick the steak is. Steams right in the foil and tastes terrific.

I only give the b/f tuna steaks....dont care for their taste. Same with Bluefish. Swordfish is EXCELLENT! :)
  • Dannib55
    Options
    Lisa,
    You can customize the recipe to your tastes. I sometimes use mangoes instead of pineapples or you can try melon. If you do not like peppers, I suggest that you leave them out or use less, I do not have a sub for them.
  • Lois1213
    Lois1213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have taken tuna steaks,marinated in a low fat Italian dressing and cooked them on the grill.ready in a snap and sooooo good.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    tuna steak little fresh garlic, lemon & light olive oil with black pepper marinade for about 20 min and sear quickly in a skillet/ griddle pan or bbq try and keep the centre slightly pink as it can become quite dry if overcooked

Im not a huge lover of fresh fish but do like prawns, crab, lobster but one fish i found quite nice was red snapper its very meaty and not at all strong in flavour

Fresh Salmon, Mackerel, sardines I just cant eat :sick:
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Pineapple salsa
    1/2 pineapple
    1 bell pepper diced
    1/2 sweet onion
    juice of a lime
    1 tsp raw honey
    salt and pepper to taste

Sounds great!

Do you use red, yellow or green bell peppers?

When I try it, I'll substitute the honey with agave nectar -- the glycemic index is much lower. Natural and organic. My sweetener of choice!

Honey vs. Maple Syrup vs. Agave (100 grams)
    Calories: 304 vs. 261 vs. 68
    Total Carbs: 82.4 vs. 67.1 vs. 16.2
    Dietary Fiber: .2 vs. 0 vs 6.6
    Sugars: 82.1 vs. 59.5 vs. 2.6.
    Glycemic Load: 50 vs. 39 vs. 3

Per: http://nutritiondata.self.com
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Dannib55
    Options
    I prefer to use red, yellow or orange peppers, I find raw green peppers to be bitter