help!

Options
krom862
krom862 Posts: 46 Member
I am trying to up my potassium, so I have been trying to eat more foods high in it. This is taken straight from the Livestrong site:

Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe is high in potassium. According to the USDA, 1 cup of this fruit contains 427mg potassium and 1/8 of this melon contains 184mg potassium.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/31934-list-fruit-high-potassium/#ixzz1yuB7BiZt

I had some for breakfast, entered it here, and it shows 0 potassium?????

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Potassium is not required on nutritional labels so most entries dont include it, even if there is some in there. If its important to u to actually count your potassium, you will need to research the quantities elsewhere and create your own foods here.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Potassium is not required on nutritional labels so most entries dont include it, even if there is some in there. If its important to u to actually count your potassium, you will need to research the quantities elsewhere and create your own foods here.

Yes, this ^^ is why I stopped tracking it on MFP. Cooked tomato products (tomato juice, tomato sauce, tomato based sauces, etc.) are a really good source. One 11.5 oz can of V8 has over 1200 mg of potassium. Bananas are a good source as well.

Here is a link to the USDA site listing foods in decreasing order by potassium content.
    https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Data/SR24/nutrlist/sr24w306.pdf
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    In the database, foods entered by members have an asterisk (*) next to them. Search for "raw cantaloupe". The entry with no asterisk (I'm guessing it says melons - cantaloupe, raw) will have all the correct nutrient amounts.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'll save you!!!!! hahaha Bananas, raisins, oranges, seafood, etc are a great source of potassium.
  • krom862
    krom862 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know which foods are high in potassium, I just want to be able to track it here in my daily log. I didn't realize you could create your own, so thank you!!