Off topic question for americans - help lines

Options
Carfoodel
Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
In the uk we have phone helplines for parents/caregivers such as parentline and the samaritans. They provide telephone, email, text support to anyone that feels vulnerable or needs somone to talk to. I refered to them for my dissertation as I was asking about coping and attachment styles in caregivers particularly with complex physical or intellectual needs. I didn't want to cause any unintentional distress if any of the questions stirred up emotions after completion of the survey so included the helpline numbers. It was part of my ethics review.

For my masters proposal, I want to expand my research to include opinions of a wider audience but have to ensure that I can refer to any appropriate helplines as an ethical consideration, so...

Is there a statewide organisation that would be accessible to anyone in America, such as parentline or samaritans? I have tried to google it and some organisations are coming up, but I can't be sure that they are accesible to all.

Any pointers would be appreciated as it would be great to incude more opinions or do comparisons based on culture, but I won't be able to propose it without ethical considerations.

Replies

• cland160
    cland160 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Carol, there are help lines in the United States, but their availability and specialization depend on where you are. For example, in Dallas there is a number to call if you are in an unwanted pregnancy. There is a different number to call if you are suicidal. And, there is a different number to call if you are lonely and depressed and just want to talk to someone. In the small town where I live, there are none of these, except for a phone line that addresses emergency mental health issues. There is a great difference in resources between cities and towns, as well as between states. Some states provide more services than others. I suspect if you went online and typed in something like 'pregnancy help' or 'suicide help' you would find general services listed that might direct you to more specific help centers in various cities around the U.S.
  • triskele
    triskele Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Agreed - there is a national suicide hotline (800-273-8255). The people answering these hotlines work with a variety of crisis calls (including those that are not suicidal), but I don't think it compares with what you are describing. You may try: www.befrienders.org for resources by state if you want to provide state-specific helplines.

Another option is to refer the person to their insurance company (if they are fortunate enough to have one). Most insurance companies do offer the help you are describing free of charge to their members. But that doesn't give you a "one size fits all" response to the people you are working with.

Best of luck with your proposal.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of for parenting is Children Services, but each state has its own under its own name...I live in NewJersey, so we have DYFS (Division of Youth and Family Service)...most people in the US think of it to report child abuse, but they do have helplines...

We really don't have a federal program like you are describing for parenting...each state functions on its own independent of each other for this.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information - It confirms what I thought, the diversity and size of somewhere like the US has too many differences state by state. It would have been great to have included input from a wider demographic.

I had though of directing to a link of a page I had created with all self-help numbers - but it sounds like I could potentially run a risk of either providing numbers people don't have access to, or there just not being an appropriate outlet to provide. I would also have to potentially seek permission to use any organisations contact details. The survey is just asking about coping attachment and support - nothing harmful - but I have to show duty of care.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's really appreciated. (I am away to think of other maximum exposure methods now lol)